Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why aren't Berettas more popular in production?

tenchu74

great gun.. i think the extensive cottage industry that grew up around the glock and then the XD, giving you the opportunity to make any imaginable conversion/customisation, are what accounts for their greater prevalence in competition shooting..

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a great gun..I just picked up a used 92FS and looking forward to trying it out..

I doubt I will switch away from my CZ..but I love experimenting with technique and equipment.

It either opens new ideas or reaffirms old ones..

If the guns fits you..you'll be able to shoot it well.

Seems like a great gun..I just picked up a used 92FS and looking forward to trying it out..

I doubt I will switch away from my CZ..but I love experimenting with technique and equipment.

It either opens new ideas or reaffirms old ones..

If the guns fits you..you'll be able to shoot it well.

My Beretta PX4 is almost enough to steal me away from my Matt Mink SP-01 (which is now sporting the Steve Bedair guide rod -- thanks!) The PX4 is an incredibly smooth shooter -- if my son hadn't claimed it for his own I might have to give it a try. For now, I'll stick with my CZ -- but Beretta really has a winner in the Storm!

Jim

I don't think the 92 or an Elite version would hold you back at all. Accurate, reliable guns with MINOR ammo (they don't hold up to Major 9 - but thats another story).

Issues are:

-alloy vs. steel frame. BUT - there is a steel frame version of the 92 if it matters to you. And the Glock & M&P use light frames to great effect.

-length to trigger. BUT - there are Vertec models with a shorter reach.

-Magazines are not as resistant to dirt as the Glock mag. BUT - few mags are as dirt resistant as the Glock. Gotta clean Beretta mags like you do with the CZ & M&P.

I'm switching to a Beretta 92 Elite II that I already own from a kimber .45 to save some money on ammunition and to try my hand in production. As I'm doing this, I notice that I don't see to many berettas at matches. Why is this? How many of you use Berettas and what model? Thanks for your response.

Steve

I shot an elite 1A 9mm for about two years and I did ok (made expert in SSP) with it. The fastest bill drill I did with it was 2.29 clean and I routinely shot around 2.5 2.8 with it.

My draw speed was routinely around 1.57 for a first shot 0 or A. I went to an XD because it was easier to trick out and better for my splits, and shooting small steel DA from the holster. Also my wife had an XD she competes with, and I dug it.

I have three XDs now. One of them has had some issues.

I could run 999 dirty reloads (lead) through the Beretta without a jam. As a game gun it can be adequate, but frankly a Glock or XD with a trigger job/kit and fiber optic front is superior in many ways. Not to mention the plastic guns don't cost much. I have big hands and reloading the Beretta was a sinch (sp).

As a carry gun, I would feel very good with a Beretta (I own a 92FS and a 96G) they are reliable and accurate.

In order to get around with a Beretta you will need a lighter mainspring (which the elite already has) and you should consider a real trigger job (I did my own with an Arkansas knife sharpening stone and a DVD from the internet and a downloaded instruction sheet).

You can shoot really well with the Beretta, but there are better choices (I still love Berettas).

You may want to consider a .22 kit for the 1911 for practice

In order to get around with a Beretta you will need a lighter mainspring (which the elite already has) and you should consider a real trigger job (I did my own with an Arkansas knife sharpening stone and a DVD from the internet and a downloaded instruction sheet).

You can shoot really well with the Beretta, but there are better choices (I still love Berettas).

You may want to consider a .22 kit for the 1911 for practice

As far as I know.. I am the only Production GM that shoots a Beretta. I feel like an outcast at the matches......

I honestly don't think my gun gives away anything to any other type of gun, except for the double action first shot... and that is a really really minor issue if you practice it.

I just plain don't shoot as accuratly with any other production gun I have tried.. So I will stick with the Beretta for now.

Although nowhere near as good a shooter as Ben, I made GM in about 8 months with Beretta.

The gun is great, as long as it fits your hands, and don't mind being "that guy shooting the Beretta."

FY42385

Although nowhere near as good a shooter as Ben, I made GM in about 8 months with Beretta.

The gun is great, as long as it fits your hands, and don't mind being "that guy shooting the Beretta."

FY42385

Holy crap! There are 2 of us!

• 1 year later...

I was just wondering why I don't see more Beretta's competing in Production division. It seems that everyone at the range I go to is either using a Glock or a Sig for this division. I'd think with the 92's 9mm chambering, bit more heft for recoil control, slickness, and the fact that it should be reliable since our armed forces use a version of it ... it'd be an obvious choice.... that being said I've never owned a Beretta 92.

I was just wondering if anyone had an thoughts on this or am I missing something?

The 92 is a perfectly reliable handgun and a joy to shoot. The long heavy DA stroke is likely why they aren't more popular in our sport. The trigger can be worked on and the 92G I used to have was quite nice. The consistent trigger pull of a striker-fired Glock/XD/M&P is pretty attractive to most people not to mention more choices in holsters and accessories. Ben Stoeger took 3rd at the nats this year with his 92G.

So if the 92 fits your hand well and you like to shoot it, there's no reason I can see why you couldn't be competitive with one.

I shot a Beretta in Production exclusively for about a year. One day I was practicing with the Beretta and had my G34 with me. I think I was doing some Vice Presidente drills and ran it with both guns. I was faster with the G34. This just blew me away since I had been shooting the Beretta exclusively for a year. That's the last time I used the Beretta in competition.

Sometimes a gun just clicks with the shooter better than other guns.

I got a "Police Special" last year. A combat proven handgun with 3 full cap mags for less than $500? Whats not to like? Now I am using it in IDPA SSP and liking it a lot. It's large girth fits my long fingers just right. I like it and that is all that counts.

I love my Berettas but I have always has an issue with the transition from DA to SA. I find that I am better off with a DAO than the DA/SA. My first shot is a bit slow, but acceptable, but my second shot always seems to break too soon (usually too high since I am taking up the slack while still in recoil). It just has to do with the way that I stage the trigger before the actual release. Once I make the transition to SA, my splits are quicker than my Glock. The only other issue that I have with my 92's is the hassle of changing out the front sight. I don't care for the 3 dot set up, and changing out the front sight would entail milling. I know that the Elite II fixes that problem, but it isn't worth buying a new gun.

I was just wondering why I don't see more Beretta's competing in Production division. It seems that everyone at the range I go to is either using a Glock or a Sig for this division. I'd think with the 92's 9mm chambering, bit more heft for recoil control, slickness, and the fact that it should be reliable since our armed forces use a version of it ... it'd be an obvious choice.... that being said I've never owned a Beretta 92.

I was just wondering if anyone had an thoughts on this or am I missing something?

I have a 96FS (.40 cal) that I use for production and I love it but I don't shoot production that often and I use S_I's for open and L10.

I started in USPSA with the Beretta in production and L10. I would say the main drawback for the 92 and 96 in competition would be the trigger but I would say the same about Glocks. The DA pull on my 96 was over 12lbs. and I couldn't hold my sights well on the first shot. That was easily fixed with a trigger job and now the DA breaks at 7lbs-3oz. and SA is 3lbs.-4oz. consistantly and very smooth. (thanks Dave Olhasso)

So, in reading through this thread, I'm going to dig out my Beretta from the back of the safe and shoot production at tomorrows match. I enjoy shooting all the guns...so I do :)

The DA pull on my 96 was over 12lbs. and I couldn't hold my sights well on the first shot. That was easily fixed with a trigger job and now the DA breaks at 7lbs-3oz. and SA is 3lbs.-4oz. consistantly and very smooth. (thanks Dave Olhasso)

Dave did my 92 Brigadier, and I ended up with the same pulls weights. The gun is awesome, although you couldn't tell by the way I shoot it. :(

Handled & shot a Beretta 92 today.

Grip is quite large & short compared to my CZ.

DA trigger pull was heavier & longer, but smoother than CZ.

SA trigger pull was very long & heavier than CZ.

Accuracey was on par with CZ.

Biggest drawback IMO is the lack of slide to rack & slide mounted safety.

I did like the gun, but would not trade my CZ.

Cheers, Ando.

Ando - Sounds like you're comparing a stock Beretta to a tuned CZ. Both my Beretta and CZs have "carry" trigger jobs, and both have about 7 lb. DA and 3 lb. SA. The SAs are very similar - if anything, the Beretta's is nicer. The Beretta's DA is longer, as you noted, but very usable.

Ok, dug out the Beretta today and shot our local match. Lots of fun. I really enjoy shooting that gun. Even won Production division. But now I'm going to clean it and put it back in the dark corner of the safe where it will stay for a long, long time.

It's what I started with and what I still use when shooting Production. If it were the only gun I had, I would shoot it, become good with it, and be happy. But alas, I have become inslaved to the big magwells, the 1.5lb. triggers, the fiber optics/red dots, and the race holsters. So farwell for now old friend. I'm sure we will get together again. Sometime, somewhere.

Oh, I guess I should mention, there were only two of us shooting production today :rolleyes::D

Edited by DonT

• 2 weeks later...

If a Beretta trigger group is polished and done up right with a lighter hammer spring there will be hardly any noticable transition from the first DA shot to the second SA shot. My 92Compgun Open Class trigger group is so slick that now I don't even feel or notice the transition. Ofcourse the hammer spring is a bit lighter then a "D" spring............and on this gun if it moves, its polished..........

>Bob

For those who say the Beretta is too fat, here are some comparison pics:

The Beretta at 5 and 3/4" "girth":

GirthBeretta2.jpg

The Glock at 5 and half to 5 and 5/8" :

GirthGlock.jpg

An S_I at 5 and 5/8" :

Girth2011.jpg

And lastly a 1911 at 5 and a quarter inches:

Girth1911.jpg

I am on a lot of gun forums. The Beretta is the gun that just about everybody loves to hate.

I even got banned from one forum for defending it.

:rolleyes:

Glocks, well for me, slice my hand open. :angry2:

• 6 months later...

I own a 92D myself, and have used it sparingly in competition. I shoot revolver in competition primarily (a Ruger Alaskan firing .45 Colt) and find little problem transitioning to the 92D. Being that I have no issue with DA/SA because of the DAO function of the Beretta, I find it interesting that 92D production was stopped (around 1997) because of lack of popularity (from what I have been able to determine).

I transition from my revolver to the HK USP .45 that I also shoot. I never notice the trigger pull and shoot it better compared to before I started shooting revolver in competition. The revolver that I have has approximately a 16lb pull, so anything less feels light to me. The 92D has about an 8lb pull, and I am sure that the HK is even less than that.

I know that there is a mechanical difference between a DA/SA handgun and other styles, but I feel that it is blown out of proportion in the grand scheme of things. Otherwise DAO handguns (such as the 92D) would be as popular as many of the striker fired and such handguns out there.