Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Range Bag?

Phil Dunlop

I know I'ts never going to be big enough, but can anyone tell me whats the biggest and best range bag on the market, and who sells them.

I've been using a CED backpack and a local product about the size of the Dillon bag but neither are big enough,

Thanks, P.D.

Hafners makes the biggest bag.  About 3 times the size of the Dillon.  David uses one and he LOVES it.  

http://www.hafnerworldwide.com/professional_bags.htm

The BEST bag is from Shooters Connection.  It's fairly large, about twice the size of the Dillon.  I've asked Santa for one of these

http://www.shootersconnection.com/  (Scroll down to the bottom of the home page!)

Look at what bagmaster has to offer.

http://www.bagmaster.com/

I won a gift cert at The SteelChallenge and the item I ordered, The Mini range Bag Deluxe, is very nice!! Not what you are looking for but I'm sure they have something big enough for you.

I  am a firm believer in supporting those who support us so if not Bagmaster then look at one of the other Mfg's that donate prizes or sponsor matches.

Shooter tournament series from Shooters Connection.

Now for me, I'd rather go with two smaller bags (Dillon or something like that) because the bigger bag you have, the more things you put inside and the heavier it becomes !

I suffered at WS : two pistols, 300rds of 40sw, tool box, magazines plus a bunch of things that I have no need for ! ! !

Sometimes bigger is not better

DVC

Julien

Julien,

I use the two bags approach. I leave the big Waller bag with all the spare ammo, tools, hammer, punches, etc. in the car, and just take the small bag around with me, inside which is one water bottle, a couple of boxes of ammo and that's about it. If I need anything else, more ammo, tools or whatnot, it's back to the car to Bag Central.

My bag could haul around small children but I got it when we carried enough parts to rebuild a gun since everything didn't work. I used to carry 3 red dots No kidding, they broke that much. I would recommend a smaller bag and a "car" bag with all the extras. I carried a very small backpack, since I couldn't bring the big gun bag, at the Racegun Nats and it was fine. I had more stuff in the car. I am planning to buy one of the small bags in the near future.

Shooters connection tournament series gets my vote, I picked one up a month ago and love it. I can get everything I need and some stuff that I probably dont.

The two ammon pockets on the side easily hold 2 100 round boxes and a 50 rd box. the big pocket on the end is the perfect size for the big Okley Vault.  The gun compartment holds a race gun with room to spare.  The padded shoulder strap is very comfortable even when filled with all the ammo for a 3-gun match. Up untill now the Dillon bag was the norm at my club but when everyone saw my budies and my bags they started to see the light.  The only down side to having a big bag is when you try loading a buch of them in to a trunk but all the good aspects over shadow any bad ones.  Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Phil, I have got the same problem, solved it by going to the two bag system, same as Duane.

I keep all the likely to need later in the car. And all the need now in the carry bag. This way I still got the small bag to carry. But seeing as you are a fit young farmer, if you really need to carry heaps of stuff get a real big bag, we can fill it with our gear and you can carry it.

Seems like a good idea, what do you think??????

• 2 weeks later...

A customer told me that there were several comments regarding the Shooters Connection Tournament Series Shooters bag and I do appreciate all those good comments. There were a couple comments about 2 smaller bags. Thats why I have 2 bags in one! Take the inner bag out for a stage bag and leave the rest of the stuff in the car. Or if your like me and feel like you have to take it all  then take it all. Thats why we have the contoured , padded , non slip shoulder pad.

If you order one , open the box , evaluate it and then if you dont want it just ship it back for a refund. All your out is shipping. I havent had one returned yet.

(Edited by chuckbradley at 12:40 pm on Oct. 23, 2002)

Chuck, glad to see you here. While I'm thinking about it, I'll offer some constructive criticism...

I'd like the bag to be more lockable, specifically the top flap that zips and velcros needs to be more secure and securable.

I'd like it without the embroidery identifying its contents. It screams, "Gun! Steal me!" to airport baggage handlers, among others.

Erik, I have thought about this and we may look at it agian on the next lot. Problem is keeping it conveinent as a range bag which is what it was meant for. I wouldnt suggest using it to check a gun in. I check my guns in a hard sided lockable suitcase. I used to carry my shooting bag on the airplanes but not now. This last summer on the way to the Aware match my son & I checked our bags which had everything in them but guns, ammo and mags. No problem. We tied the draw string to the shoulder strap ring. On a soft bag if they want in they will get in. As far as the embroidery is concerned I thought most shooters like to tell people what they do. It was a thought to just have "tournament series" even though I didnt want my company name on it  I wanted soemthing similar so  I opted to leave Shooters on there.

Got any more ideas that would imrove it? Cant get them done on the lot in progress but maybe the next one.

I'm not looking for a shoulder-mounted gun safe, I just want something to prevent baggage handlers from easily rifling around inside my bag. Broken locks and knifed-open Cordura are just evidence for a claim.

I take the shoulder strap off and put it in one of the pockets when I put the gun tag in the bag at the airline counter. One airline counter person suggested/required that some time ago; it makes sense because the strap might get caught up on the conveyor machinery. I leave the brass bag at home or put it inside.

When I was more paranoid about damage, I travelled with a .50 gallon ammo can inside, and the fragile stuff inside it. This precluded the use of the interior bag. Now I only worry about the magazines on the outside pocket and I might put those in the interior bag.

I like the idea of a bag cover, as suggested by Jerome, better the more I think about it. A bag for a bag may seem silly at first but it is a good idea. Look at all the golf bag covers/carriers at the airport. I'd prefer something much more simple. (Disposable, sealable Tyvek bags, a la FedEx envelopes, would be great if I could find them that big. Even a cardboard box...)

The last time I flew with my gear I used as suit case that was twice the size of my range bag one half for the range bag and the other half for clothing.  The only down side to that was the bag weighed almost 100 and it was a pain to open it up to show the counter person that my gun was unloaded.

On a side note, the counter person at San Jose Intl. did not ask to see my unloaded weapon. They just required me to put the firearm tag inside my suitcase. Returning from Austin, TX the counter person asked me to show that the gun was empty and place the firearm tag inside the actual case that held my gun.  Same airline, totaly diffrent procedures. Nothing scares people in line behind you more than pulling out a gun at the airport ticket counter.  :)  

Bag-within-a-bag is extremely popular with backpackers and anything with straps and parts sticking out-- the airports usually have a stock of thick plastic baggies to cover packs and strollers.  Bonus is these are usually free and don't offer a good grip-and-throw to the baggage gorillas.  Downside is they're transparent and hard to lock.

If I was going to check my gun bag, I'd probably use either a military-style canvas duffel bag or ballistic nylon equivalent-- cheap, lockable, looks like a sack of clothes.

Extra tip-- get a golf-club hard-case for checking rifles.  Cheaper, lockable and not quite as much 'steal-me' factor.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried everything, carts, gun bags, camera bags, assistant sherpa, etc.  The approach I'm looking at now is two bags: one range bag that is a rucksack, and a toolbox/bag in the truck for the "nice to have but too heavy to haul" stuff.

I find something with two shoulder straps on one bag less tiring to carry than two bags, one on each shoulder.

Now I have to figure out how to schlep the cameras.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of Golf carriers, has anyone every tried using a golf bag/cart to haul their rifle/shotgun/pistol and ammo around the range???  I looked at wagons, hand trucks, and coolers w/ wheels but found an old bag I no longer use with it's old 2 wheeled cart.  I seem to be able to fit a rifle/shotgun and enough ammo for both for a 3gun match.  Only issue is the inability to see  my open chambers or is this a non issue with barrels pointed 30-45 degrees to the sky.  Appreciate any thoughts here and thanks.

Racine