Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 Tennessee Section Championship

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that actually the 21st through the 23rd?

:rolleyes:

I hope so, my reservations are for the 21st!

I didn't even notice the dates Lynn had posted -- too focused on how to get registration completed without long lines. I have edited my original post with the correct dates.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2007 TN Section Match Statistician

Edited by LChico

Just got in, Great match again! Had a great time and good stages. RO's did a good job of keeping everything moving, Sat AM we were actually 1 1/2 hours ahead of schedule at lunch, and finished 8 stages and back at the hotel by 4:00. Lynn did a great job of keeping it all going.Yall missed a good one!

thanks all for the comments.

we had an aritcale posted in the local paper.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/...astest-trigger/

Home › Local › Bartlett / Cordova

Gunslingers aim for fastest trigger

Arlington shooting event rewards speed, accuracy

By Cassandra Kimberly (Contact)

Sunday, September 23, 2007

When Bill Grewe moved to Memphis in 1980, he sold his motorcycle, but that didn't stop him from racing.

"I don't race motorcycles like I used to," he said. "I race guns."

Friday, Saturday and today, at least 158 competitors from the Mid-South and United States have gathered at the Memphis Sports Shooting Association in Arlington for the 2007 Section Championships, racing for the title of fastest gunslinger.

The competition, which is a part of the United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA), isn't a normal point-and-shoot competition. It's an extreme shooting sport, said Grewe, who served as match director.

Shooters must run through 10 different obstacle courses or "stages" choosing the quickest path to accurately hit all of their targets for points. A winner is determined by their "hit factor" or how many points scored per second.

Crossing swinging bridges, dodging trap doors and aiming at quick-moving targets while in motion is part of the competition.

Unlike other extreme sports, however, any age and skill level can compete, said Grewe. Competitors are divided into age divisions, the types of firearms used, gender and even experience level during the matches.

"We really try to level the playing field so that everyone could come out here and have fun," he said.

Adding to the excitement is that no course is ever the same, said Missouri resident Emanuel Bragg, who has participated in 500 competitions since he started shooting 10 years ago. The unpredictability triggers an adrenaline rush.

"It's like the bottom or the ninth, two outs and you're at bat," he said. "It's like that every time."

Though the sport can seem dangerous, organizers and competitors follow a strict set of safety rules including prohibiting ammunition and firearms from being handled at the same time without supervision.

"It's a safety-driven sport," said Grewe. "We all know we are playing with something that can hurt you."

Later this afternoon, competitors will not only go home with a combined $25,000 in prizes, they will go home with an "itch" that can only be satisfied with another competition.

"The game" keeps people coming back for more, said New York resident Joe Procopio.

"It becomes like a disease," he said. "You need to do more and more of it."

-- Cassandra Kimberly: 529-2786

thanks all for the comments.

we had an aritcale posted in the local paper.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/...astest-trigger/

Home › Local › Bartlett / Cordova

Gunslingers aim for fastest trigger

Arlington shooting event rewards speed, accuracy

By Cassandra Kimberly (Contact)

Sunday, September 23, 2007

When Bill Grewe moved to Memphis in 1980, he sold his motorcycle, but that didn't stop him from racing.

"I don't race motorcycles like I used to," he said. "I race guns."

Friday, Saturday and today, at least 158 competitors from the Mid-South and United States have gathered at the Memphis Sports Shooting Association in Arlington for the 2007 Section Championships, racing for the title of fastest gunslinger.

The competition, which is a part of the United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA), isn't a normal point-and-shoot competition. It's an extreme shooting sport, said Grewe, who served as match director.

Shooters must run through 10 different obstacle courses or "stages" choosing the quickest path to accurately hit all of their targets for points. A winner is determined by their "hit factor" or how many points scored per second.

Crossing swinging bridges, dodging trap doors and aiming at quick-moving targets while in motion is part of the competition.

Unlike other extreme sports, however, any age and skill level can compete, said Grewe. Competitors are divided into age divisions, the types of firearms used, gender and even experience level during the matches.

"We really try to level the playing field so that everyone could come out here and have fun," he said.

Adding to the excitement is that no course is ever the same, said Missouri resident Emanuel Bragg, who has participated in 500 competitions since he started shooting 10 years ago. The unpredictability triggers an adrenaline rush.

"It's like the bottom or the ninth, two outs and you're at bat," he said. "It's like that every time."

Though the sport can seem dangerous, organizers and competitors follow a strict set of safety rules including prohibiting ammunition and firearms from being handled at the same time without supervision.

"It's a safety-driven sport," said Grewe. "We all know we are playing with something that can hurt you."

Later this afternoon, competitors will not only go home with a combined $25,000 in prizes, they will go home with an "itch" that can only be satisfied with another competition.

"The game" keeps people coming back for more, said New York resident Joe Procopio.

"It becomes like a disease," he said. "You need to do more and more of it."

-- Cassandra Kimberly: 529-2786

quote]

That is awesome!

Edited by tpcdvc

Bill/Lynn..you and the entire match staff did an outstanding job. Linda did her usual job as GM of stats. A great match; run well; with a great mix and balance of shooting challenges incorporated into the 10 stages.

Also, does anyone have the name and address of the FFL that was handling the firearm transfers for the match?

Edited by cpty1

Just wanted to add my thanks to the organizers and staff on this one. Bill, Lynn, Brad, Linda, and all the gang did a great job. The range was beautiful and the stages were clever and interesting w/out too many gimmicks or "carnival" tricks like you see at some matches. The moving, bobbing, swinging, activating, etc. stuff at this match was all well designed, solidly built, and seemed to work just fine. There was one little incident involving one of my rounds and a no-shoot that dropped down to block a port, but unfortunately there was no one to blame for that but me.

The match staff deserve a lot of recognition for their efforts. I was very impressed w/ how the RO's on every stage seemed to have that right combination of professionalism and friendliness that kept everything moving quickly while everyone still had a good time. This was a really good match and with any luck I'll be back again next year to defend my damn near last place finish crown.

Thanks guys,

John

Bill/Lynn..you and the entire match staff did an outstanding job. A great match; run well; with a great mix and balance of shooting challenges incorporated into the 10 stages.

Also, does anyone have the name and address of the FFL that was handling the firearm transfers for the match?

William C. Hill, Jr

901-755-4196

william.hill@adintellico.com

Bill/Lynn..you and the entire match staff did an outstanding job. A great match; run well; with a great mix and balance of shooting challenges incorporated into the 10 stages.

Chris,

Haddon Hill Ltd

8542 Sahdy Trail Cove

Cordova, TN. 38018-4300

Phone 901-755-4196

Fax 901-755-3445

Thanks again for supporting our match.

Bill

This was my second year for the Tenn. sectional and I wouldn't miss it.

The match is always well organized and flows smoothly.

The stages were fun and interesting.

The match staff & sponsors always seem to put together one of the best prize tables I have seen anywhere.

Many thanks to all that helped to make it happen.

My only complaint is that I think I got a "mike" when one of my shots deflected off a mosquito.

Tony

Good match, great prize table, this was my second year. I hit one of the local mosquitoes with a 9mm slug and the beast charged me. I ended up killing it with a knife after losing about 2 pints of blood. If we could domesticate those things and get them saddle broke, we'd never have to pay air fare again.

you guys got it all wrong, I sprayed my bullets with OFF, the only problem is that I think some of the

off went to one side of the bullets and made them lop sided and they wouldn't hit the targets!!

either that or they hit the mosquito's and altered the bullets!!

Great match other then those blood suckers, hats off to all the staff that made it happen!!

Manny