Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Primer Mods

I looked through the tips and tricks post but didn't see what I was looking for. Has anyone come up with a foolproof way of collecting spent primers on the 1050 rather than using the primer cup? Plastic tube adaptations etc.? Links? Pictures? Thanks.

I looked through the tips and tricks post but didn't see what I was looking for. Has anyone come up with a foolproof way of collecting spent primers on the 1050 rather than using the primer cup? Plastic tube adaptations etc.? Links? Pictures? Thanks.

Yes.

HPIM0695-1.jpg

HPIM0693-1.jpg

I cut off a .223 case and inserted the neck in the ejection port and the added the tube, you decide the length, to an AccroBin under the benchy.

RePete,

Is there a bracket that holds the primer cup that needs to be removed? Does the case stay in the ejection port OK or does it drop out from time to time?

Some 4200 at a marine store would hold it in there

RePete,

Is there a bracket that holds the primer cup that needs to be removed? Does the case stay in the ejection port OK or does it drop out from time to time?

Just a bolt that can easily be removed.

RePete,

Remove the bracket and the 223 neck is a press fit.

I've had zero problems and zero hangups.

RePete,

Remove the bracket and the 223 neck is a press fit.

I've had zero problems and zero hangups.

FWIW, I had to poke a 1/4" phillips screwdriver into the .223 case I used to make it fit a little tighter. Keep an eye on the beer bottle on the floor (you do use a beer bottle, right? ;)) so you catch it before it fills up. It's tedious unclogging a clogged primer dump tube.

The cup works great for me. It holds more than I can load in 2 or 3 sessions so I don't understand this mod.

If it ain't broke?

I received my 1050 in September and the handle kept knocking off the catcher, therefore it was broke and this is a better set up. And now with the KISS bulletfeeder, it's a required set up.

I was wondering if I was the only one with a retarded catch bin. I took mine to disk sander and changed the angle to match the inside of the press and it now holds over a thousand primers without them falling off or spitting half of them on the floor.

But yours is cooler!

I did the same mod as RePete. After several thousand cycles, haven't had the case fall out of the press. My hose runs down into a 2 liter soda bottle (Sorry Shred!). I don't like to have to dump it very often. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I tried the .223 shell in the 1050 and it works great. I used a 4' section of tubing and a u-bracket to hold it to the front edge of my bench. That will keep me from knocking it loose and gives a little upward pressure against the shell. Took an empty 1-gal detergent bottle and drilled a hole (a little tight for the hose). Put a few cups of used primers in the bottom to help anchor it and then shoved it against the back wall. After depriming, the little sucker shoot down the tube and I can hear a satisfying click when it hits bottom. Works perfectly.

Edited by sidnal

Works good with small primers, BUT not so with large. They get hung-up in the .223 case neck. I took a .357 Magnum case, & drilled the bottom out to the same I.D. as the inside of the case. I then epoxied the case head to the bottom of the spent primer hole & slid on the plastic tube after the epoxy hardened. Works perfect ever since.

Anyone have a SDB solution, or will this work for the SDB too?

Jeff

Probably not because the primer falls out of a slot rather than a hole on the SDB. R,

I had more problems with knocking the cup off with my knee rather then the primers missing the cup but this is what I came up with for the SDB.

post-21206-1253977707_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have used this mod for some time. It is great to have the spent primers controlled all the way to the collection bin.

When I first converted my press to 45 ACP, I found that the neck of the .223 case was a bit too narrow to allow every one of the Large Pistol primers to pass through.

I looked at it and decided to drill out the OEM hole on the press to a larger size (5/16th worked for me), then press in a .308 case with the casehead cut off.

Problem solved....

FWIW, I now use an empty 8lb powder jug as the endpoint of the primer drop. I'm working on filling the 2nd one now. In theory there's some money to be made recycling the primers as they're mostly copper, but you have to find somebody that will take them.

• 2 weeks later...