Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking Up Mags From A Table

mshotwell

How do you carry your mags? I know this years SS classic will have stage were you are not aloud to have mags on your belt. This stage usually require more than one reload.

Do you hold your mags, put them back in your mag holders, or pocket?

Thanks

That may depend a lot on the actual stage.

One of the big things to remember is...doing all of that is a distraction from the shooting. Further, any time you have to do something (like load the gun) before you get to the shooting...that is out of your normal routine. That doesn't sound like much, but the fact is...we feel like we ought to be shooting. So, there is a tendency to rush.

Stages with "extra stuff" to do tend to have lower hit factors than stages that get right to the shooting. The lower the hit factor, the more important points become.

So, figure these things out as best you can, but don't get distracted from getting the hits.

(BTW, is that specific stage design posted anywhere?)

Depending on what kind of pants you are wearing, sometimes putting a mag in your front pocket can be faster than putting it in your mag pouch. Only drawback to this idea is retrieving it can be 50 / 50 on what direction the bullets will be facing once you get it in your hand.

Had a stage like that at the 06 Michigan State match. I thought about putting a mag in my pocket, but ended up shooting the four nearby targets with one mag, then grabbing a second mag, and running off to finish the stage. No woops mag!@ :huh: In cases like that you just have to be absolutely sure of what you are going to do, and how you are going to do it. Hit what you aim at, and don't goof up.

Thanks

There were 2 stages last year, and I believe year before. 1 unloaded gun, 1 loaded gun.

Last year during on stage I put one in my mouth, and carried one. I was not the only one that did that. Sticking back in the mag holders is kind of hard to do because of their position.

Thanks again

As for preference, I'd rather stick the mag back in the pouch. Then, when it comes time to reload, I am doing the exact same reload that I've always done. Doing a reload out of a pocket or out of the mouth just isn't something I have a lot of practice doing. And, along that same line...I've stuck more mags into pouches than I have pockets.

How do you carry your mags? I know this years SS classic will have stage were you are not aloud to have mags on your belt. This stage usually require more than one reload.

Do you hold your mags, put them back in your mag holders, or pocket?

Thanks

A friend of mine turned me on to this. It works quite well if you're wearing the right kind of pants. I normally shoot in Jeans and it works great for me.

Stuff the bottom of your pockets with paper to the point where a mazagines stuck in the pocket sticks up enough to be reached easily. I tend to use my left side rear pocket. I can stick two mags in that pocket, facing the right way easier than I can do the same thing with a mag pouch and can retrieve them almost as quickly. YMMV.

Lee

Take the time to put it in the mag pouch. It's like returning the pistol to the holster. If you don't know where your gun goes, you probably are going to be super slow to begin with (i.e. reverse draw). The same goes for mags. If you can put that mag in the first pouch, you've obviously not practiced enough.

Again...take the time it takes to do it right. You'll more than more make up for it when you're doing "normal" reloads vs. some jacked up grab from my back pocket kinda thing that more often than not has a HUGE disaster factor.

Rich

As for preference, I'd rather stick the mag back in the pouch. Then, when it comes time to reload, I am doing the exact same reload that I've always done. Doing a reload out of a pocket or out of the mouth just isn't something I have a lot of practice doing. And, along that same line...I've stuck more mags into pouches than I have pockets.

+1. Why make something difficult when it can be simple? I shoot Production and have encountered several stages with scattered mags and placed 'em back in my pouches. When I needed them, it took very little though as to where they were.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

"MAGNET" how about using a steel mags and use a mechanics screws and bolts magnetic holder that you velcro to your strong hand but that is only good if you have <16 rnds. otherwise pick up the mags and put it back to your mag pouch like what they mentioned on top

This years Western States Single Stack Classic had a stage like this, first one I have ever shot where I had to pick up and stow mags. I watched different shooters and there was a few different ways I saw it tackled.

There were the guys who stuck them in pockets and usually wasted some finding the pocket opening (some taped thier pockets open) and also fishing for them to reload.

There were also people who did put them back in their pouches and most did waste time because you had to look down at the pouch to re-insert the mag. While most didn't waste much time I did see some fumble the re-insert which caused me some concern since I had never practiced it and I didn't like having to look down because you tend to slow down your movement when focusing on doing something else like that.

The third way was to insert them in behind your belt between it and your body. I liked this the best because it could be done while moving to the first shooting position without having to look where you were putting the mags. I was using a rescomp belt and so it was rigid enough to make it easy to insert them but also held them good. I tried it a few times and it seemed to be the best way and it was easy to do without having to look so I was able keep my eyes on where I was going and I didn't slow down at all. Since the mags are already in your belt it was not much different than grabbing them from the pouch and I didn't notice during the COF.

Neal in AZ

try wearing a t-shirt with a pocket.

on the start signal, grab the mag and drop it in there.

for your reload, grab the mag out and go.

it should be faster than trying to stuff one in the pouch, and for the reload, the pocket is shallow and close to the gun, sure beats trying to fish it out of your pants pocket.

This years Western States Single Stack Classic had a stage like this, first one I have ever shot where I had to pick up and stow mags. I watched different shooters and there was a few different ways I saw it tackled.

There were the guys who stuck them in pockets and usually wasted some finding the pocket opening (some taped thier pockets open) and also fishing for them to reload.

There were also people who did put them back in their pouches and most did waste time because you had to look down at the pouch to re-insert the mag. While most didn't waste much time I did see some fumble the re-insert which caused me some concern since I had never practiced it and I didn't like having to look down because you tend to slow down your movement when focusing on doing something else like that.

The third way was to insert them in behind your belt between it and your body. I liked this the best because it could be done while moving to the first shooting position without having to look where you were putting the mags. I was using a rescomp belt and so it was rigid enough to make it easy to insert them but also held them good. I tried it a few times and it seemed to be the best way and it was easy to do without having to look so I was able keep my eyes on where I was going and I didn't slow down at all. Since the mags are already in your belt it was not much different than grabbing them from the pouch and I didn't notice during the COF.

Neal in AZ

Yea, except I grabbed one too few and needed one more for the last plate on the star...

Fortunately, the table was only two steps from there, but it cost me 3-4 sec.

We just had a club match with a stage like this. Shooting production, I needed a total of four mags to avoid standing reloads. What worked for poor slobs like me was:

Place two mags on the table, end to end, both pointing to the strong side, and the next two mags together in a "V" shape, close to the gun (also to start on the table), base pads together, feed lips apart. All mags with bullets pointing up.

At the signal, overhand grab the two end to end mags, one in each hand. The weak hand will have the bullets at the thumb and forefinger side, the strong hand will have bullets on the pinky side. Sweep both hands over the weak side mag pouches - both mags should end up pointing down into the 2nd and 3rd pouches, to be slid right in.

Next, on the move, P/U the gun strong hand and the two remaining mags weak hand, with the WH forefinger between the two mags, keeping the lips apart. Load the first mag, pocket or pouch the second, rack the slide and you're good to go.

Hard for me to describe, but it worked pretty well for those who tried it.

"MAGNET" how about using a steel mags and use a mechanics screws and bolts magnetic holder that you velcro to your strong hand but that is only good if you have <16 rnds. otherwise pick up the mags and put it back to your mag pouch like what they mentioned on top

I sometimes wear an elbow brace on my strong hand arm. I have a few very strong rare earth magnets 1" diameter x 1/16" thick.

Time to experiment.

Stuck several of the magnets together and stuffed them into the elbow brace. As a test, loaded up a big stick with 26 rounds and practiced picking up two magazines from the table sticking the big stick to my arm and loading the other in the gun. On the reload I found that by sliding the big stick off the magnets rather than a straight pull, works pretty slick.

Ran around the house with the big stick on my arm without dropping it and it did not interfere with my dryfiring. With a little practice was able to practically toss the big stick at my elbow and it stuck.

It works, but is it USPSA legal? Can't find anything in the rulebook against it. If there is, then possibly attach the magnets to my shooting belt. Same idea but a little slower.

Bill

We just had a club match with a stage like this. Shooting production, I needed a total of four mags to avoid standing reloads. What worked for poor slobs like me was:

Place two mags on the table, end to end, both pointing to the strong side, and the next two mags together in a "V" shape, close to the gun (also to start on the table), base pads together, feed lips apart. All mags with bullets pointing up.

At the signal, overhand grab the two end to end mags, one in each hand. The weak hand will have the bullets at the thumb and forefinger side, the strong hand will have bullets on the pinky side. Sweep both hands over the weak side mag pouches - both mags should end up pointing down into the 2nd and 3rd pouches, to be slid right in.

Next, on the move, P/U the gun strong hand and the two remaining mags weak hand, with the WH forefinger between the two mags, keeping the lips apart. Load the first mag, pocket or pouch the second, rack the slide and you're good to go.

Hard for me to describe, but it worked pretty well for those who tried it.

I think I understand what you did...definately loading up your pouches two at a time is faster. I write down funky stage starts down when I hear of them or see them and practice them for about 5 minutes a week. It's helped me just get to the shooting and not fret over the wierd stuff.

I had problems with that stage at the Single Stack Nationals last year. My plan was to put the mags back in the pouches, then shoot the stage. When i tried to shove the first mag in to the blade-tech pouch the top round slid forward and things went down hill from there. I ended up shooting the stage strong hand while holding the rest of the mags. I actually shot the stage pretty good that way once I got going. I have since beveled the openings of my blade-tech pouches which might help if I try that stunt again.

There was a stage like that at the Fall Classic last year. I just grabbed up two mags and stuck them in the pouches and then put one in the gun. (Needed two mags, L10 division). As to how that worked out, i will never know. My sights came off earlier in the match and a buddy let me borrow his other gun he happened to have with him. That stage the gun jammed and i had a dnf. What i would do is get the minimum amount of mags you need and then grab an extra just in case. After all the extra stuff is done, focus on the shooting and your hits.

• 3 weeks later...

At the WSSSC this year had a stage that all mags and gun were on a table. I watched one guy stuff all of them in his shirt pocket only to have them not come out easily. I saw others stuff them in their pouches. Still slow. There was a faster way to do it by leaving mags on the table.......

I think the Limited Nationals last year had the mags in the back of the golf cart. Most everyone I saw loaded at least one mag in the pouch, while they were moving to the next array.

Unless the stage is set up where you can place your mags, it seems the surest way is to load your mag pouches.