Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What % Of Shooters

Bob McGee

This question is so basic I feel foolish for asking. What % of shooters, shoot with both eyes open. Is it worth the effort to try to change a life long habit of shooting using the dominate eye only. If your advise is to switch to shooting with both eyes open, is there any drill that can be practiced that will help make the transition?

In a word, YES. Field of view is everything in this game. After many years of closing one eye, I took my Ruger MKII and a brick of .22, sat on the bench and fired mag after mag with both eyes open until it became habit. The only time I close one eye now is on long range, more than 25 yard, targets.

Bobby,

I came from a PPC background with lots of generous time so I too had to break my habit of closing my weak eye when shooting. The C-More helped me do just that and on all my iron sight guns I run a red fiber optic that helped me keep both eyes open. Set up lots of close targets with reloads and make yourself keep both eyes open then start moving the targets back at greater distances.

Like Mike said above, at long distances like 50 yds I still find myself closing my weak blinker :-) Practice practice practice

I was ALL for shooting with both eyes open (and always did, without even trying) for the first five years of shooting, but my left eye has "issues" and I just can't see clearly using both eyes at once. I noticed my shooting accuracy had really taken a nose dive over the past few months so very recently began closing the "bad" eye and using my "good" eye only. Voila! Improvement!! Lots of improvement. I could actually see the sights, the target and proper sight alignment.

*Sigh* I guess it's one-eye shooting from here on out. I miss using both eyes,

but the lady's gotta do what the lady's gotta do.

;) <--one eye

Bob,

First I am assuming that you are talking about Iron sights, and not a C-more.

Your question is one that can't be answered positively by anyone. I have heard GM's that shoot with both open, some with both open up close and continually closing as the distance grows, and some who shoot with one eye. There is no right or wrong answer.

If you went to the range and tried 10 strings one eyed, and 10 strings both eyes open which one works for you? That's all that matters.

Personally I shoot with one eye at anything 7 yards and greater.

Take that with a grain of salt from a B class Revo shooter. ;)

Years ago I concluded that I was left-eye dominant and so I tip my face clear over so I can aim with my left eye. Theoretically I should be keeping both eyes open while I shoot, but every single photograph I have of myself shooting during a match shows my right eye squinted all or most of the way shut.

I don't fight it.

I figure I'm doing good to just have one eye open when the gun goes off! :D

Jim has an extremely great answer! I does boil down to what does you best. but let me add just a little if I may.

"Seeing" is all important in this game of shooting we play. not just the sights but everything else........not always a focused picture, but knowing the surroundings, knowing where that swinger is and when will it be able to be shot ect.

Having said that, two eyes are better than one.....IF you can teach yourself to use them.

I also coach precision rifle shooting for our local 4-H and Junior Olympic shooters, we teach them to keep the weak eye open and use either a cap with a velcro "patch" or a small spot of scotch tape on the shooting glasses so the dominant eye does all the work and the weak eye just is along for the ride (sight alignment wise) It allows for less tension in the facial muscles and still gives "surrounding area" input as needed.

I myself keep both eyes open, and still run into walls, shoot the wrong targets, run into Range officers and much other stuff sometimes good and sometimes not so good. <_<

good luck.

Hopalong

<_< I would say 95%....

:huh: of the good shooters use both eyes pen

Then again, 95% percent of the shooters that keep both eyes open aren't very good! ;)

60% of the time, I keep both eyes open all the time.

I was ALL for shooting with both eyes open (and always did, without even trying) for the first five years of shooting, but my left eye has "issues" and I just can't see clearly using both eyes at once. I noticed my shooting accuracy had really taken a nose dive over the past few months so very recently began closing the "bad" eye and using my "good" eye only. Voila! Improvement!! Lots of improvement. I could actually see the sights, the target and proper sight alignment.

;) <--one eye

Sig ... Could prescription glasses rectify the problem??

Having said that, I have a close friend that was one of the most accurate shooters I know with iron / metallic sights, when he got prescription glasses he stopped running into walls and such, but his accuracy suffered with the irons sights, so he switched to optics, so then again seeing might not be the best thing... :o:huh::lol:

;) <--one eye

Having said that, I have a close friend that was one of the most accurate shooters I know with iron / metallic sights, when he got prescription glasses he stopped running into walls and such, but his accuracy suffered with the irons sights, so he switched to optics, so then again seeing might not be the best thing... :o:huh::lol:

Ahh... there might be hope yet (it's hell getting old).

One of my shooting buddys is an ophthalmologist who I use for my eye examinations. He recently introduced me to a concept where I use single correction (as opposed to tri-focal) lenses for shooting.

The dominant eye is adjusted to focus at the front sight while the other focuses at target distances. With both eyes open I can see a very sharp front sight and a fuzzy target (sounds like cheating, huh) just like you have been taught. As your eyes age the focus just won't change quick enough to switch back and forth between the target and sights.

It's great! I can find out the exact specifics if anyone is interested. You can sample the results by having the Optimoligist dial in the numbers and let you hold a pencil out to simulate a front sight. You will be amazed. B)

I decided, after much effort, that I was going to have to be content with shooting with one eye closed. Then a friend introduced me to a packet of dots (in assorted colors that you can pick up from brownells) that I stick on the left lens of my glasses.....and, instant ability to shoot with both eyes open. Tape serves the same purpose but the dots come in colors that match up with my different colored lenses. I'm hoping that one day this will allow me to get rid of the dots and still shoot with both eyes open.

;) <--one eye

Ahh... there might be hope yet (it's hell getting old).

One of my shooting buddys is an ophthalmologist who I use for my eye examinations. He recently introduced me to a concept where I use single correction (as opposed to tri-focal) lenses for shooting.

The dominant eye is adjusted to focus at the front sight while the other focuses at target distances. With both eyes open I can see a very sharp front sight and a fuzzy target (sounds like cheating, huh) just like you have been taught. As your eyes age the focus just won't change quick enough to switch back and forth between the target and sights.

It's great! I can find out the exact specifics if anyone is interested. You can sample the results by having the Optimoligist dial in the numbers and let you hold a pencil out to simulate a front sight. You will be amazed. B)

I would like the specifics if you can get them.

"As your eyes age the focus just won't change quick enough to switch back and forth between the target and sights."
I think this is ONE of the problems with my eyes. The OTHER problem is two different eyes with two different degrees of problems--the left one being pretty bad off. :(

My new one-eyed method has actually allowed me to see MORE of what's going on around me as well as see the sights, the target and simultaneously be able to watch the brass eject, hit the wall and head either to the floor or my chest, depending. All with one eye--and quite clearly. With two eyes I couldn't see much of any of it all because the eyes simply wouldn't work together for s**t. I think I'll just do the one-eyed thing for a while and enjoy the scenery and the improved accuracy. :rolleyes:

I really miss the two-eyed feel of things, but it doesn't work any more. I don't think different glasses would work because the only glasses that work are ones that correct the up-close blurriness (reading glasses are what I have), not long-distance problems. Oh, things ARE a little blurry (some days more than others) at 50 feet, but up-close things (like gun sights) are impossibly blurred. :angry:

Getting old is not for sissies.

Getting old is not for sissies.
I detect these are not presciption glasses. If correct, you would do well to get your eyes checked. I've been wearing glasses since the second grade. The investment is worth the money.

All my life I have shot with both eyes open. I am left eye dominant, right handed and left leg dominant. A really odd affliction, I guess. I shoot handguns with my right hand and use my non-dominant right eye. I do use the dominant left eye when I shoot left handed but I do squint my right eye when I shoot left handed. I have had terrible vision (near sighted) all my life but had laser surgery eight years ago so now I see 20/20. My shooting method never changed after the surgery. I have learned that the benefit of keeping both eyes open is being able to see more of what's going on around me. This has come in real handy out on the street and I can not say that I have ever suffered from tunnel vision.

Dave Sinko

BE even writes about this in his most excellent book. It's probably more important to be comfortable with what you do, than doing anything specific.

I've always had vision issues and never got used to shooting with both eyes open. Tried it and never noticed a great deal of difference with either method, shooting. You do need to make sure that both eyes are open when reloading or moving though. It may seem like a logical thing, but if you are trying to shoot with only 1 eye it may not be opening again after you shoot.

Unfortunately Laser Eye Surgery won't help the fuzzy front sight as you get older. That's a different problem, and sometimes it just suddenly shows up one morning. I thought it might be easier going to both eyes open after getting new shooting glasses (once the regular prescriptions got too fuzzy). It didn't seem to help, still saw 2 of something either the target or the sight, never at the same time.

Sinko, left leg dominant? Is it longer than the right?

Yes, the glasses I currently have ARE both prescription lenses: One for reading (17 to 18" of focal length--just renewed a month ago) and one at 24" for use here at the computer screen. Neither are anything NEAR appropriate for shooting. So, I shoot with one eye--more successfully than ever before, and that works well for me. B)

<_< Ok Ok ;) I do both depending on the shot. for a long shot I end up -fainting- off the other eye. the eye lid ends up relaxing and the shooting eye burns in on the shot. I still see with my off eye though.

This has be a problem coming from mostly Steel and trying IPSC as I was not used to having anyone in my side vision when I was shooting.

I learned to evaluate a stage and determin when a RO may be too close to my Off side. I would sometimes ask them ahead of time to stay behind my shoulder. :blink:

Some time when you are -STOPED- in the car at a light close off one eye and look ahead like you would if you were about to shoot somthing. You will feal the cars around you closing in =like you will want to turn your head to check on them.

next do the same thing but keep the -off- eye open and just focus in with your strong eye like you are about to make a shot= Eye Only- ,please don't bring a gun up and say I said to do it.

Any way you should get an idea of how that efects your shooting

:unsure: I admit I used to use a spot on the windshild as my target dot :blink:

But...I don't know nothing B)

Edited by AlamoShooter

I use both eyes open as long as I'm relaxed. I think both are always open when shooting at speed. As soon as I start trying I start squinting. If I'm really relaxed and just shooting then long range accuracy if fine with both eyes open. But I usually try a little more on the long shots and my weak eye will nearly close. It doesn't help me any and I still do it. Kinda reminds me of flinching.