Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P news

GeneralChang

So what's the story on the Shotshow, any news on a 5inch MP 9mm?

Not at this time, just the 45 ACP!!

Y

Being the gun expert that I am I have a suggestion - get rid of that plastic gun and get an all steel gun like a Glock.

Stainless, with the CCF Frames!!

Y

I broke my striker yesterday in dry firing. Strange thing was when I called S&W, they didn't even ask for a serial number. Guess they aren't tracking the serial numbers of the ones breaking.

I'm gtting a few, just to have, but mine has gone for a long time and it's still going!!

Y

That's odd, it seems a few other people have spotted the elusive 5 inch 9mm. Would you double check, please, thanks

Actually put my hands on a longer version of the M&P 9mm at the SHOT. I think they called it the PRO and my be just a Performance Center Gun at first. Either 5 or 5 1/2". :rolleyes:

Yes they do have a pro series 9mm gun at SHOT with a 5 in slide. They will make them in 9 and 40 and I think they said they expect them to hit the market in march. They also had the M&P 45 out at the range today for us to shoot. It is going to be a great CDP or L-10 gun with the range SXTs we were shooting it felt as soft as my single stack 1911 with my CDP reloads.

Yes they do have a pro series 9mm gun at SHOT with a 5 in slide. They will make them in 9 and 40 and I think they said they expect them to hit the market in march. They also had the M&P 45 out at the range today for us to shoot. It is going to be a great CDP or L-10 gun with the range SXTs we were shooting it felt as soft as my single stack 1911 with my CDP reloads.

Here they are!!

2h7nonn.jpg

2a9r4u9.jpg

2lk38nr.jpg

The Pro looks OK except for one thing. Why did they feel a need to put that funky sail of a front sight on the gun? That thing looks terrible. Put a lower rear on and get rid of that sail.

This is just a Performance Center Prototype!!

I'm willing to bet that the Production gun will look nothing like this!!

That's all I'm guessing now ;);)

and that FUGLY rear sight. Quick, Heinie, start making replacments...

Ready between the Lines, Prototype ;);)

This gun was made at the Performance Center, not a production Gun!!

Y

The thumb safety is similar to an extended safety on a 1911 but it does not lock the slide. You can load/unload with the safety on. No comps on any of the M&P's, I didn't hear if they were thinking on that or not. I forgot what brand they said the front sight was, HiViz? Don't worry about replacement sights, we have the full line of Dawson M&P sights and the 10-8 rear sight in stock now but I haven't had time to get them on the web site. We should have the Warren rear, Burwell rear and the HiViz front sights in next week.

Damn shame they added a thumb safety to a safe-action pistol. Stupid move on their part. What is next? Manual safeties on DA S&W revolvers? At least they have the original M&P in a 5".

Edited by Carlos

Damn shame they added a thumb safety to a safe-action pistol. Stupid move on their part. What is next? Manual safeties on DA S&W revolvers? At least they have the original M&P in a 5".

If the military contract states "must have an external safety lever that is thumb-actuated" that's what you do. Building a product that puts you in contention to sell 200K pistols isn't "stupid."

The customer isn't always right, but they're always the customer.

that was my first thought too

then I reconsidered, for a duty gun, I would love that feature, hitting the thumb safety on the draw is something we all do regularly. in a gun grab it's 1 more lever the bad guys gotta figure out how to make the gun go off.

If you look closely at the last two pictures Yamil posted, you will realize that the thumb safety is an OPTION. The tool that molds the frame has an insert that allow S&W to mold frames with or without the hole for the thumb safety.

S&W is giving people a choice, which is a good thing IMO. Even if you ended up with a lever gun, it would probably be a no-brainer to remove it and run without. You'd just have a "hole" in the frame. No biggie.

If you look closely at the last two pictures Yamil posted, you will realize that the thumb safety is an OPTION. The tool that molds the frame has an insert that allow S&W to mold frames with or without the hole for the thumb safety.

S&W is giving people a choice, which is a good thing IMO. Even if you ended up with a lever gun, it would probably be a no-brainer to remove it and run without. You'd just have a "hole" in the frame. No biggie.

Eric is wise in the ways of the injection molder.

I'm ok with extra safeties so long as lefties can get to them ;)

Well no one has answered the 54 million dollar question on the size of the .45. Is it beefed up or the same size as the 9/40?

Its slightly longer (front to back) in the grip area, slide is longer and I believe they are the same height. For me it felt like the small grip insert was about equal to the medium insert on the 9mm/40 frames.