Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking About Taking A Year Off

chp5

I joined USPSA at the end of 2001 but didn’t start competing in earnest until 2003, so I’ve been competing for about four years now.

At this point, I really don’t have the desire to practice or dry fire much. I go to about one match a month. I’m seriously considering taking 2007 off. The only thing that keeps me from taking a complete break is seeing my friends.

There are a lot of good people that shoot the sport in my area and I only see them at matches. I’d hate not to see them for a year.

I’m not sure what to do.

I joined USPSA at the end of 2001 but didn’t start competing in earnest until 2003, so I’ve been competing for about four years now.

At this point, I really don’t have the desire to practice or dry fire much. I go to about one match a month. I’m seriously considering taking 2007 off. The only thing that keeps me from taking a complete break is seeing my friends.

There are a lot of good people that shoot the sport in my area and I only see them at matches. I’d hate not to see them for a year.

I’m not sure what to do.

Take an RO course and help the local clubs.

That way you get to see all your friends and stay connected, plus help some of the other folks take some time off from RO'ing so they can shoot more.

I started about the same time as you Chp5. I took a break last year. I didn't shoot, think, or even keep track of anything resembling practical shooting for 5 months. I even sold off my Glocks & most of my gear to include my reloading press. I recycled all my brass (about $400 worth at $1.37 a pound) and sold many of the training books and videos I had collected over the years. In short I "cleansed" myself of practical shooting.

Now I am back with that fire burning deep inside me again. I repurchased the reloader, new equipment and a new blaster- STI Edge. Now I am dryfiring everyday and am again excited for what this year's season has in store. Not to say you should, but for what it is worth, I think the break did me alot of good. I learned some important lessons about myself. And I am glad I took the plunge to follow through with the "break" and let it take it's course.

A year is a long time. If you do take a break, don't necessarily set a time limit, let your heart tell you when to return. Hope this helps.... ;)

I have found that a two to three month annual break keeps me fresh. After nationals (Sep) this year I just shot some local matches but didn't train at all. Now I'm back to being hungry and ready to hit the range, both live and dry fire.

I agree with the other advice you have received - take a break but don't set a time limit. You'll know when you are ready.

Do what you have to of course.

I continue to struggle to find ways to shoot. And since I've taken so much time off, it's easy to not find time again. I haven't shot a match in over a year - and don't see myself shooting one again any time soon.

When I took my break other things filled the space. Getting back into it gets harder and harder. I still handle the guns daily - but it's more like a comfort thing than a connection to competing thing.

I wish I had never laid off a bit.

J

The only thing that keeps me from taking a complete break is seeing my friends.

I’m not sure what to do.

Cy,

how about getting up and going to matches on those weekends where you feel like going and seeing your friends. Relax and shoot for fun ---- perhaps in a division where you haven't regularly competed, or with a gun you wouldn't normally shoot. Heck, shoot your carry gun in Open.....

Just flip the mental switch ---- go when you want to, stay home when you'd rather do that. When you go hang out with friends --- when you stay home find something else relaxing to do....

Oh, and knock of that whole practicing and dryfiring thing ---- because 2007 is all about relaxing and having fun, not about working and competing.....

I took a year off a while back. It didn't hurt my shooting much at all when I came back, so don't be afraid of that. I agree with the others-- if shooting isn't fun, stop doing it for a while. (fwiw, I've never had a desire to dry fire any..)

It's amazing how quicky a year off turns into 5.

Do whats right for you, you'll know if you want to continue or not.

For myself its not easy to go to the range and not compete. If I'm there to shoot I'll help RO. But I can't just RO and watch.

You have to WANT to do it, if it becomes work, or unenjoyable. Take a break.

The last match that shot was in Feb 06 and the next match that I shot was in Jan 07. I didn't really plan it that way but burnt out and it just wasn't fun anymore. For me, hobby is about a diversion from the everyday stressful part of my life. When hobby no longer meets that need, it is a time for a break. Bluntly for me personally, I don't know if I will ever compete with the same enthusiasm that I did before, but right now I am having fun practicing and pulling the trigger.

Saul Kirsch's book: "With Winning in Mind" talks about having some down time too. Weight training or physical conditioning and getting away from the tournaments etc.

Good luck to you on whatever you decide. When you are ready to come back there will still be matches and your friends will still be there.

Rick

I have taken 2 and half years off from shooting. Only shot 3 pistol matches in those 2 and half years. This lay off wasn't by choice none the less it was still time from shooting. My desire is much stronger to come back. The only thing I remember in my mind about competing was my last competition which was one of my best. I still have the mental confidence. I don't think I will be too far behind from where I left off once I return to shooting in June. A break is good. Taking a break is one of the 7 habits of highly effective people. It couldn't hurt you to take a break.

glock17w

For me, hobby is about a diversion from the everyday stressful part of my life. When hobby no longer meets that need, it is a time for a break.

I agree with what Rick said above .............. to some degree.

If your hobby is supposed to be a diversion from everyday stress, but it ends up being a source of everyday stress, I can see how that would suck.

For me, I want my (USPSA) shooting to be a diversion. A hobby. LOTS OF FUN! :) And even though I end up spending large amounts of time, money, & energy trying to shoot better all the time, I still don't find it to be a source of stress in my life.

On the contrary. I find myself thinking about shooting at times that I should be focusing on more important things. I find my self analyzing my past performances while driving, thinking up new practice techniques when I'm trying to fall asleep at night, and surfing this wonderful Forum until 2am searching for more information that might help me advance just 1 more percent in future matches.

I don't think you could call that a source of stress. ;) An addiction perhaps, but not stress.

If your hobby is supposed to be a diversion from everyday stress, but it ends up being a source of everyday stress, I can see how that would suck.

It's not a source of stress. I enjoy it. I just don't have much of a desire to practice or go to matches right now for whatever reason. :mellow:

Cy,

I know what you mean.........check this thread out.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33408

The following year I did shoot but only at my local club matches and a few majors....with No or very little practice. (That helped a whole bunch)

The copetitive side of me is just as "nagging" as always but I have learned to calm it down and just enjoy the "company" much more........seems like not having to do so good every time sure makes it better to enjoy the company more too. :)

Good luck with it. It is something we all have to battle sooner or later.

Hopalong

Edit to add:

You (CY) have read and posted on this thread, but since then some other posts that are quite thoughtful have been added. ;)

Edited by hopalong

This is an older link, but Brian had some words of wisdom in this thread. Spook had a couple of threads along this same topic about a year ago as well. I even exchanged some ideas with him directly. I see he is posting again. The point is when you take a break, it doesn't mean that you are done, you are just taking a break. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...=9749&st=25

For me, it just wasn't fun anymore, I put too much pressure on myself to do well. I beat myself up when I didn't. I didn't like going to the matches because I thought with all of the effort that I put in the game I should be at a different level in my shooting. My expectations and reality were not the same and this caused my discomfort playing the game. It was never someone else giving me any grief that I should be shooting at this level or that, it was all internal. Like I said, it wasn't fun for me any more and shooting the matches become a source of stress in my life not relief from stress. So for ME, the break was a good thing.

Rick

Edited by Clay1

I took a year off a while back. It didn't hurt my shooting much at all when I came back, so don't be afraid of that. I agree with the others-- if shooting isn't fun, stop doing it for a while. (fwiw, I've never had a desire to dry fire any..)

That's good to hear.

It's not that shooting isn't fun - it's still fun. It's just that I have other hobbies that compete for my time. Right now, I'd rather play with my kids and pursue other hobbies.

I may change my mind tomorow, but I've decided to take some time off right now. How much time is "to be determined."

Thanks for the comments.

It's not a source of stress. I enjoy it. I just don't have much of a desire to practice or go to matches right now for whatever reason. :mellow:

Cy,

I took 10 years off from USPSA shooting. I didn't stop shooting though. I shot Highpower in the summer, shoot in a Bullseye league during the winter, trap league in the summer, and sporting clays when I feel like it. I started back with USPSA a couple years ago, when I saw that some old friends had started up again. Now, I shoot one or two matches a month. Practice?......thats the first two stages! Yup, my scores show it, but, it's fun again, mostly :D Oh, and I shoot 3 gun/ multigun now and then too. Try mixing things up a bit, it might help.

I took 6 months off a few years back and it really helped.This year the urge to do it again is creeping up.I will shoot maybe 2 or 3 local matches and Area 6 and call it quits .I will practice with my carry and home defense guns and attend gun shows while we still can.

This kinda leads into another article I'm working on right now. The importance of having an "off-season." Every major sport has an off-season. I can't think of a single one that goes 365 year in and year out. You need some time to get away from the sport and relax. Notice I didn't say quit shooting, I said get away from the sport. I still go to the range and shoot, but I'm shooting for fun, I'm not practicing. I look forward to bringing out the stuff in the back of the safe that I don't get to shoot during the season. The last match I shot was Ft. Benning, about 6 weeks ago. I might shoot one local match in Feb., but I won't really start practicing again until March. Get away from it for a while. Shoot something else for fun (you still have to do the basic fundamentals to get hits, so you don't lose any skills), or just get away from shooting completely.

If you can take a break for a couple of months, I think in a few months you'll feel refreshed and eager for the next season to start.

Of course Cy, if things don't work out, you can always go back to being a cage fighter. :P

Erik