Bdavis

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The match is filling up very fast. As of Jan 26th Saturday is full and all shooters that have registration forms in will be given the opportunity to shoot on Friday. Shooters who have sent in applications for Saturday that we cannot put into Saturday match will be notified by regular mail with a return receipt required. The letter will have my email address and phone number listed, it will be up to you to call me, or email me and let me know if you want to be put on the Friday schedule. It will be a first come, first serve type of situation; so don't wait too long. I will also do my best to give you the squadding requests, but that, too, is getting harder and harder and the match fills up. The fact that the match is filling up four months before it is set to take place ought to tell you about the quality of this match and the viability of the Provisional Single Stack Division.

p.s. -- please do not call me and ask me to hold you a spot while you get your application(s) in. I cannot do that, it is not fair to those who do things in a timely manner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The SSC was a great match again this year! I really enjoy taking a break from Revolver to switch over to the 1911 this time of year, and I'm lucky to have PASA park just a few hours down the road. The weather was perfect for Friday shooters, almost too early for the legendary Barry strain of ticks (although I did see one crawling around in one of the plastic shitters on Friday afternoon).

Most of the big names are shooting Saturday, although I saw Butler, Strader and Seeklander were geared up on Friday, and I'm sure a few other GMs were around that I didn't happen to notice. The SSC guys aren't real big on communicating scores out to the shooters, so I have no news to report on how anybody was shooting. The standards stage was chewing up a lot of people, including me--one-handed Bill Drills at 15 yards and freestyles at 35 are not something most of us practice nearly enough!

The stages were overall pretty good, but there were a few that were almost not worth shooting (e.g. Stage 7, stand in box, draw and shoot three targets and a popper). Hell, if I wanted to shoot total yawners like that, I could sign up for the IDPA Nationals. ;) One problem with setting up a match to be "8-round friendly" is it totally takes stage break-down and strategic planning out of the game. In nearly every case, there was only one way to shoot the stage. I was reminded how much I enjoy that aspect of IPSC/USPSA freestyle shooting and good stage design that allows lots of options.

Other negatives for me:

(1) No XD Challenge side match this year (very disappointing, it was really fun!)

(2) Poor communication of contingency awards (S&W gave away three M&Ps to shooters using their products in the main match, but nobody heard a word about it beforehand)

(3) That psycho RO that always insists on wearing his cocked and locked .45 and kevlar vest throughout the match (it's not the loaded gun that scares me, it's that disturbing facial tic that seems to be worse every year...), while the NROI guys cruise past on their golf carts and ATVs and pretend not to notice.

(4) Those gigantic magwells used by shooters who are trying to turn Single Stack division into Limited-8 (yeah, I know they fit the box......the box is obviously the wrong size).

On the bright side, the 2007 SSC was a very well-run match with a top-notch staff of range officers. More than ever, the SSC match attracts the best shooters in the country. There's just something kinda cool about having everybody face off with essentially the same equipment to find out who's the best. The PASA facility continues to be a premier place to hold a major match, and this year was no exception. SSC also has attracted some great sponsors, notably Springfield Armory. I will always appreciate Springfield's consistent support of our sport, not just at this match but over the past 20+ years.

Everybody seemed to be having a great time--I'm already looking forward to next year's match!!

(3) That psycho RO that always insists on wearing his cocked and locked .45 and kevlar vest throughout the match (it's not the loaded gun that scares me, it's that disturbing facial tic that seems to be worse every year...), while the NROI guys cruise past on their golf carts and ATVs and pretend not to notice.
is that kosher at a uspsa match??? i know competitors can't walk around with a loaded gun, but can staff...or spectators?

is that kosher at a uspsa match??? i know competitors can't walk around with a loaded gun, but can staff...or spectators?

That should'nt be allowed.

I know who you are refering to. That is kind of creepy having an RO carrying. If it is any consolation I know for a fact the guy is a LEO.

Of you that think the R.O. carring is Creepy, how many of you carry a gun everyday? I don't go ANYWHERE without one, why should match day be any different. As long as he doesn't "play with it" wave it around...etc. why should we care? If Kevlar makes him feel good, why not?? I open carry when I can and conceal when I must. At matches my pistol is "unloaded" because USPSA doesn't trust me with it loaded, but I ALWAYS have a full magazine right handy! It seems the "practical" part of this here game is becoming less so. Had a friend who brought back a real bad "tic" from Nam, but I still trust him with my lifeand I don't mind that he is armed! KURTM

Edited by kurtm