Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working Over The Holidays?

Micah

In a previous career I ALWAYS had to work the holidays, so I definitely voted in that direction... though I don't work in that capacity any more. Cool thing about working those holidays, however, was that people in the audience (we're talkin' radio here) felt sorry for us and always brought around food...!! Things could've been worse. ;)

I worked holidays like this for 16 years. Kinda gave Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years the feeling of "just another day" that's been hard to shake--even now. :rolleyes:

Oh, and that's "poll"....... :lol: ("Take my pole", indeed....) (Whew, and he's good-looking, too!) :P

You forgot "None of the above" and "Not only none of the above, but not for the whole week in between Christmas and New Years, either..." :D

Heh...I noticed that after creating the poll :mellow:

At least I've had alot of time figuring out how to get my vendor friends convinced that getting powder and primers is a good thing :D

And congrats to SiG Lady for catching my double entendre. Working the holidays is making me a little frisky :wub:

I worked holidays like this for 16 years. Kinda gave Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years the feeling of "just another day" that's been hard to shake--even now. :rolleyes:
Know the feeling. After 25+ years of working holidays they have become just another day. Which makes me savor the few times I'm able to be home for one of the big ones. Like Christmas this year.

My job is in offshore oilfield support and oil doesn't know its a holiday.

Hospitals don't close either. I'm a Cardiac Cath Lab nurse. I've covered 'call' in my department every Thanksgiving, Christmas & NewYears for 10 of the last 11 years.

Since it is just me & my husband, I'm working most holidays to give the staff with young children the day off. We trade weekends a lot in my unit. It helps when I need several back-to-back long weekends during 'shooting season.' :)

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Whether I'm working or not depends on whether the deer hunters find any skeletal remains in the woods in their search for Bambi. For the first time ever I made it through the Thanksgiving holidays without getting called out. I could do the same for the Christmas and New Years holidays but it's unlikely.

Sure is funny how the world works. I'm officially on vacation from 22nd of Dec to the 2nd of January. BUT.... I'm on call for both weekends. Such are the woes of being the only controls guy at a small power plant.

Merry Christmas to you all.

dj

In my line of work I have never had to be at work on Christmas. I have been on call almost every year but didn't have to go in. I on the other hand have almost never got New Years off! Mass calling events keep us in house at the witching hour! So New years eve is spent with about 5 monitors looking for alarms! All you damn drunk people feel that you must call a friend at mid-night and say happy New Years!

I don't know if mine would actualy count. I only have to "work" a couple of hours each time. But cows gots to be fed. I'm retired, or just tired. :ph34r: Merry Christmas to all yall.

I'm off, but my lovely bride :wub: is a "low man on the pole" MD and is on call in the regional neonatal icu Christmas Eve and Morning. Somebody has to take care of those pre-term 20-something week babies.

I get to entertain the in-laws...isn't that considered work? :unsure:

Merry Christmas to ya'll.

Edited by Middle Man

IT folk pretty much have to do holiday work too. When else do you do upgrades and migrations except when everyone else if out of the office. Yup, I'll be logging in remotely and beating up a server trying to get it to accept the latest version of some help desk software. And it's my birthday today too... :( At least I get to sit in my jammies at my desk at home while I work. :)

There was a 23 year stretch where I could count the number of holidays that I got off on 1 hand but then I retired from that job and haven't had to work another holiday since. Now work is something that other people do while I am out shooting.