Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Grease & Lubricant For Competition Firearms

Tolly

Slide Glide also seems to stay on the gun for the "duration" and not need more lubrication over a long 2 day match.

It will stay a LOT longer than 2 days. I plan on cleaning my SS for A6. It will be the first time in a year ;)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

GUNBUTTER!!!!! TRY IT IF YOU ALREADY HAVEN'T! AWESOME PRODUCT MADE WITH HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS. THEY HAVE CAME OUT WITH A GREASE FOR SEARS ETC.... THE OIL IS PERFECT IN ANY WEATHER CONDITIONS. YOU CAN TELL THE LUBRICITY FACTORS COME OUT IN TIGHT PISTOLS PROBABLY WHY THEY CALL IT GUNBUTTER. :bow:

SG for the 1911's...then soaked in rem oil for a overall spray after shooting

FP10 old style tan looking butter type for the glocks,then a coat of rem oil after shooting

sillycone spray all the mags in a ziploc bag.........

i think the grease mark stains on my shirt give me character while shooting,you know a fashion statement... :rolleyes:

I'll second the request for a couple photos of top ends after you have lubed 'em with SG. "Liberal" is such a subjective term for me. Do I just slop it on a little heavier than I would with oil or do I use a teaspoon and fill the slide up and just clean off what comes out when I cycle the gun?

Thanks!

I have a feeling that BE recommended liberal application because he sells more if you glom it on. :)

I use SG Lite for my autos. I use the brush he recommends and apply it sparingly on the rails and locking surfaces. It lasts just about forever on carry guns (instead of draining off, like oils); I just re-apply after I shoot them. I haven't shot a long match with an auto in a long time, but I doubt it would be a problem. I also use it on the internals of my S&W revolvers - again, lightly.

Ever since I first used Slide Glide just about four months ago, I have been in love with the stuff. I have it on all my firearms. A friend tried his P239 and P226 ST next to mine with the SG on it and he's now a convert.

I've been testing it out on my P226ST .40 to see how tough it really is. I figure the ST can take it. I have about 3000 rounds down range with out cleaning it or reapplication and it's still working like a charm. To be fair, the initial application was pretty generous, but a lot of that gets wiped off after the first range session.

• 4 weeks later...
I'll second the request for a couple photos of top ends after you have lubed 'em with SG. "Liberal" is such a subjective term for me. Do I just slop it on a little heavier than I would with oil or do I use a teaspoon and fill the slide up and just clean off what comes out when I cycle the gun?

Thanks!

I started out with SG pretty lightly. Then I added more. Then I added more still. Then I rubbed the whole damn thing in the stuff. Worked in all conditions. Ok, not quite all: If I went super heavy on everything the slide would occasionally not make it all the way to battery in the first mag.

I use Slip 2000 for my oiling purposes. It is fantastic in my FN SLP MkI shotgun. I use Slide Glide on all grease points.

Seriously, use a brush: coat the rails. a thin coat on the bbl and anything that rubs.

People are always overthinking their lube. Goat turds would prolly keep the gun running for a while! Not to say I endorse goat turds. I have a buddy that uses 3 in 1 oil. You know, that little can you dad had? Yep, works fine on all his guns. Another friend only uses automatic trans fluid. ATF stays pretty constant regardless of temp, so it is a good idea.

C

My first gunsmith, back when I carried and shot 1911s, recommended STP Oil Treatment for the slide rails, and I never ran across anything better for staying in place (which I need because I carry and don't want the lube all over me) until I switched to a Glock and ran across Slide Glide. I use the thickest stuff and while a Glock runs just fine dry, I can feel a huge difference in how smoothly the gun cycles if I coat it onto the recoil spring and the rearmost part of the round part of the barrel. It stays in place forever, and my trigger pull actually seems to lighten up slightly as the gun gets dirtier--I can't explain it, but the trigger pull gauge don't lie. I also put it all over the trigger parts and the slide rails. How thick is thick? I use a Phillps screwdriver to put it on, cycle the gun half a dozen times, and then wipe off whatever has oozed out.

• 3 weeks later...
Kellube

I'm a little late in contributing to this discussion, having only recently switched to the Light Slide Glide for my open gun, but I do have a question: I have a new stain on the STI frame steel, from the slide stop hole forward and on the inside of the dust cover, which I attribute to the use of the Slide Glide. It does not come off with handi-wipe, or Hoppe's, or brass cleaner, etc. Happy to live with the stain, if that is the price of using this fine lube, but can I get it off? Does brake cleaner work? Thanks.

One answer - Militec.

Let it cook into your gun over a few matches, insane lubricating qualities.

Nothing wrong with BE's Lube or the stuff that Eric Graffel sells.

But I love that Militec in all my handguns and rifles.

It goes like this for me - parts washer full of Cyl & Slide Dunkit (poly), then quick submerge in Mobile One, then wipe down completely, the Militec everywhere, reapply mid match, then shoot 5-8 matches without cleaning other than breechface, extractor and ramp, oh yeah and bore.

TY

Jkushner1

Finally got around to ordering some Slide Glide and I really like it. I put it on my Edge a couple of weeks back after a careful cleaning and it's gone a couple of practice sessions, one local match and a state championship match with no sign of slowing down. I was really surprised how much smoother the gun hand cycled and the cool thing is that the gun is cleaner with almost no residue around the muzzle and front of the slide.

I also put it on the new Open STI, but have only shot about a hundred rounds since doing so...but it does cycle smoother by hand than with FP-10.

Slick 50 engine treatment. You can buy a fricken quart and it will last you for..oooohhh ten years or so if you buy one of those oil daubers from any shop or autoparts store..Cost is about 12.00 for a large bottle of it. I used it in VERY HOT and and cold...I likey alot...My Bedells likey alot...plus it helps chapped lips...and when I get into a long winded Rant i find it does not break down and cause lip to grill friction...But don't tell anyone..it is the secret ingredient to my pitiful shooting ability...Good luck

Tonight, in my mailbox, was the small tub of SlideGlide "1". Thx, Brian! I'll give it a try -- I kinda prefer a greasier lube than an oil, and if it stays put and doesn't spray my clothes, and softens the recoil a tad, I'll be delighted.

But I wonder, really -- what *doesn't* work?

I use SG (SH Light in the winter) and FP10. However, I would like to know what viscosity of Mobile 1 is being used by the folks who say they use it.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

I use 20w50 Mobil One on the upper except firing pin in the summer and 0w20 in the winter. Lube the gun before any shooting and clean (upper) about every 800-1000 rounds. Complete takedown every 2500 rounds or a week or 2 before a major match. NO gun malfunctions this year after 11k rounds, magazines a different story. Mobil One is a fantastic lubricant, just put some on your hands and try to wash it off!