Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Instead Of Topping Off?

lndshrk

Don't see anything in the rules. Any problem with putting a single round in an open chamber and dropping the slide? With a Glock, does not seem to be a safety issue. Would this earn a DQ or Procedural?

Don't see anything in the rules. Any problem with putting a single round in an open chamber and dropping the slide? With a Glock, does not seem to be a safety issue. Would this earn a DQ or Procedural?

Perfectly acceptable IDPA wise.

Unadvisable because of the extra stress it puts on the extractor.

Ken Reed

Don't know about the ruling but in most guns it can/will cause damage.... :huh:

why chance an AD, or possible break an extractor, ether way you screwed yourself out of a match, if it is a glock just load a high cap to 11

even a glock slamming down on a live rounds can possible cause a discharged if the primer is just a tad bit exposed

"Competitors must use the same capacity magazines through out the competition

(Example: if you start with a 9 round magazine, you must use that capacity magazine throughout the match)."

Does that mean if you charge gun with Hi-Cap, all mags have to be Hi-Cap, but only loaded to division maximum capacity, or can charging mag be Hi-Cap and balance 10 rounders?

"Competitors must use the same capacity magazines through out the competition

(Example: if you start with a 9 round magazine, you must use that capacity magazine throughout the match)."

Does that mean if you charge gun with Hi-Cap, all mags have to be Hi-Cap, but only loaded to division maximum capacity, or can charging mag be Hi-Cap and balance 10 rounders?

A easy way to explain this is if you have 7 round and 8 round mags for your 1911 then you must load all to 7 max in the mag for max of 8 in the gun. The reson for this is it could be an advantage to load and use only a seven round mag on one stage for a better place to reload but on the next you might want that 8 round mag.

So you can use hi caps and only load 10 in the mag. This is not saying you can not load and make ready with a mag that has 11 rounds but just make sure you use that mag for only load and make ready and not some where else on the COF or you could earn yourself a FTDR.

Patrick

We had a shooter break the extractor on a Glock by slamming the slide on a chambered first round. Don't do it.

If you have full capacity magazines, load one with 11 to start the stage, others with 10 for reloads. Might be wise to mark one or more to be loaded with 11 so you don't get mixed up and draw a P.E.

What reload technique....the pistol is empty...take your Barney mag and insert it, LAMR, safety on, drop the mag into your hand, put it in your pocket and insert mag loaded to capacity...no technique there at all...not on the clock...in reality it is a RWT but you are doing it so slowly, who cares... :D

What reload technique....the pistol is empty...take your Barney mag and insert it, LAMR, safety on, drop the mag into your hand, put it in your pocket and insert mag loaded to capacity...no technique there at all...not on the clock...in reality it is a RWT but you are doing it so slowly, who cares... :D

Barney mag for 1911s, 11rds in first mags for XD/Glocks?etc. I have a blued mag for my 1911s that I use so I don't get it mixed up with the mag I'm going to load with. The XD I just load the first mag to 11. Look on the back it tells you how many is in there!

As long as you load the magazines to the same capacity throughout the match, you can use any combination of normal capacity mags and 10 rd mags.

Thank you!

That being said, when loading 20+1 into the Limited gun or 28+1 in the Open gun, I will take a full mag, load one. Re-holster, pull extra from point of storage (pocket, behind ear, under watch band, etc.). Top off mag and insert into pistol.

IF I ever shoot L-10 or Production I'll probably have a pistol whos mags hold more than 10. I'll be doing what my Aggie friend above mentions.

Rich

So... if I'm shooting a single stack and all my mags are 8-round, do I HAVE TO top-off by loading a barney round and then my first mag? Thus starting with 9.

Please excuse my ignorance, I'll be shooting more IDPA next year and don't want to look dumber than what they already think I am.

;)

So... if I'm shooting a single stack and all my mags are 8-round, do I HAVE TO top-off by loading a barney round and then my first mag? Thus starting with 9.

Please excuse my ignorance, I'll be shooting more IDPA next year and don't want to look dumber than what they already think I am.

;)

All of us are ignorant of many things. Recognizing that is the first step toward learning and is the antithesis of "being dumb" ;)

If you don't have a copy of the IDPA rulebook, you might want to download it.

From the description of CDP requirements (page 23 of the current rule book)

E. Be loaded to the division capacity of eight (8) rounds in the

magazine plus one (1) round in the chamber. Should division

capacity not be achievable because of lower magazine

capacity, load should be to maximum mechanical capacity of

magazine plus one (1) round in the chamber. Competitors

must use the same capacity magazines through out the

competition (Example: if you start with a 7 round magazine,

you must use that capacity magazine throughout the match).

Edited by Jane

shooting CDP...2 mags each loaded to 8 in each mag holder on belt[2mags max]...1 loaded 8 rnd mag in pocket...1 8 rnd mag with 1 rnd in it....at the command to load and make ready,

insert the 1 mag with 1 rnd in it and cycle slide,put on safety,remove that mag and look at it...is it empty,if yes,remove 1 8 rnd mag from pocket and insert in weapon...if a rnd is still in the 1 rnd mag...start over.. <_<

some shooters will come to the line with just 3 mags,then will insert mag,cycle slide,slide checked the chamber,to be sure where the rnd went,remove that mag,pull an extra rnd from pocket or from behind ear :) and put that rnd in the mag they just pulled out and reinsert...then recheck the chamber again...

some shooters do the same as above .but will reholster,remove mag while in holster then add the extra rnd to that mag then reinsert......

but i have seen mags fly out when the buzzer goes off and the gun comes out of the holster <_<

some put the safety on...some don't...

As an SO it irratates the crap out of me to have a shooter take his mag out of his gun, pull a round out of a pocket, etc. load it into the magazine and then put the mag back in the gun. Why? because it's wasting time at the line. If you're not going to use a "barney" mag, load the gun and then put that magazine in the back pouch as your last magazine and put a full one in the gun. Not like it's going to make a difference in IDPA, unless you really have a case of brainfartitis. If you do it in IPSC/USPSA...wait a minute this is the IDPA forum, not the IPSC forum.

Of course I'm just old and crotchety

I don't care how you do it. Just do it in a reasonable amount of time and above all, safely.

I constantly end up having to remind people to top off. Whether they do it intentionally or not.

I usually remind people during the walk through that if they have high caps they are welcome and encouraged to start with 11 in their first mag to expedite the process. Some SO's force the top off. Either way works for me.

I use a Barney mag too. I've got a 1911 mag that works sometimes, so it goes in my back pocket when I'm shooting CDP, and only comes out at LAMR.

For my 9x19s, I use a Barney mag as well. It's WAY too easy (for me) to forget which has 10 rounds, and which has 11.

I use one of the Elite "shoot me first" vests. It has 4 mag pockets on the front. The right two have mags loaded to 10 rounds, the left two have a 10 round I use as my Barney and a hicap loaded to 10. I take out the barney, strip a round out, put the barney back, pull out the hicap next to it and insert the round from the barney and then load the gun and rack the slide.

Why go through all this rather than just using the barney? I saw someone load the barney, rack the slide and when they dropped the barney, they dropped the barney on the ground, went to pick it up and swept the SO with a loaded gun, instant DQ. Plus as I'm doing all this I am once again going over my plan.

YMMV of course.

Bruce

I saw someone load the barney, rack the slide and when they dropped the barney, they dropped the barney on the ground, went to pick it up and swept the SO with a loaded gun, instant DQ.

This is a DQ?? At the IDPA matches I've attended, they would just say "muzzle."

I saw someone load the barney, rack the slide and when they dropped the barney, they dropped the barney on the ground, went to pick it up and swept the SO with a loaded gun, instant DQ.

This is a DQ?? At the IDPA matches I've attended, they would just say "muzzle."

Yes sir it is, match DQ for unsafe gun handling.

S 1. Unsafe gun handling will result in immediate

disqualification from the entire match.

Examples (but not limited to):

A. Endangering any person, including yourself.

The shooter didn't holster his gun, it was in his hand and when he bent over to pickup the magazine the gun ended up pointing behind him and at the SO.

Bruce

I stopped using a Barney mag (for my ESP pistol) after a SO asked me a question that sidetracked me and I forgot to load a new mag. Beep, bang, 'why did my slide lock back?', empty gun!?! Not the SO's fault at all - just mine. Now I load a mag with 11. My pre-stage routine is simple, faster, and I always use the same numbered mag. YMMV.