Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Instead Of Topping Off?

lndshrk

I usually remind people during the walk through that if they have high caps they are welcome and encouraged to start with 11 in their first mag to expedite the process. Some SO's force the top off. Either way works for me.

:( Why would some SO's force topping off? If it's not against the rules....

I think this rule should be cleaned up, too:

"Competitors must use the same capacity magazines through out the

competition (Example: if you start with a 9 round magazine,

you must use that capacity magazine throughout the match). "

Somehow that's interpreted to mean you can use *both* 7 and 8 round mags through out (sic) the competition, provided you don't load more than seven rounds in the 8-round mag. But...the rule doesn't say that -- it seems pretty unambiguous. 7 and 8-round magazines are not "same capacity magazines." <shrug>

Why would some SO's force topping off? If it's not against the rules....
I'm taking a break from work, so I can't call up the rule book, but if you're shooting in ESP or SSP, you're required to load 10+1 or mag capacity +1 if your mag holds fewer than 10 rounds.

Why would some SO's force topping off? If it's not against the rules....
I'm taking a break from work, so I can't call up the rule book, but if you're shooting in ESP or SSP, you're required to load 10+1 or mag capacity +1 if your mag holds fewer than 10 rounds.

Hey RevChuck -- yup...but the way I read Mayo's comment he meant some folks wanted to start with 11 rounds in a high-cap mag, but the SO's insisted that the shooter top-off, instead.

Hey RevChuck -- yup...but the way I read Mayo's comment he meant some folks wanted to start with 11 rounds in a high-cap mag, but the SO's insisted that the shooter top-off, instead.
Doh! That's what I get for reading too fast. :rolleyes: You're right, there's no requirement to do it from a Barney mag. When I SO, I'll ask the shooter if s/he's topped off if s/he didn't use a Barney mag. There are a lot of shooters who see "10 rounds in the mag" and think "only 10 rounds total in the gun".

Over on the USPSA side this was an issue a short while back in Production - I know at least one shooter got a procedural because he loaded with a mag with 11 rounds at LAMR and racked the slide. The rule originally said only 10 rounds in the mag; it was quickly changed to 10 rounds in the mag at the beep.

I shoot a G17 in SSP and I have one hi-cap. I have applied a piece of red vinyl to the baseplate of that magazine. I always load it with 11 and always start the stage with it, unless for some reason it is a six round stage.

Gun starts topped off and none of the mag back and forth changes.

1911 guys, well I feel for you.

John

John,

Topping off 1911's is just a normal way of life. Glock "standard" capacity mags are so cheap now there's no reason not to have a slew of them. They function much better than the 10 rounders as well. I just change the springs out on them out of the box because Glock mag springs just don't hold up for me.