• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DSCN0962_400x300.JPG

DSCN0955_400x300.JPG

DSCN0956_400x300.JPG

DSCN0949_400x300.JPG

Here's a new open gun I built for myself and just got back from Metaloy. It's a 6" Schuemann TriBrid AET in 38 Super. Extreme hammer, sear, and disconnector; Dawson toolless guide rod system; STI frame, slide, safeties, and magwell; Aftec extractor; and an Allchin scope mount with a cut back blast shield. The C-More I used for about four years and recently had it rebuilt. The slide is from a prize table (thanks STI!). I ground out the front serrations and gave it a Hipower cut as well as flatten the rear and remove the Aristocrat sight cut.

I built this one specifically for Bianchi Open Modified and it shoots great with the Bianchi loads - a real tackdriver. With major loads it hits back pretty hard but stays flat so I can shoot it awfully fast. That's good since I'm about to rebuild my old warhorse open gun and still need something to shoot in USPSA in the meantime. Weight empty is 42oz.

Here's a new open gun I built for myself and just got back from Metaloy. It's a 6" Schuemann TriBrid AET in 38 Super. Extreme hammer, sear, and disconnector; Dawson toolless guide rod system; STI frame, slide, safeties, and magwell; Aftec extractor; and an Allchin scope mount with a cut back blast shield. The C-More I used for about four years and recently had it rebuilt. The slide is from a prize table (thanks STI!). I ground out the front serrations and gave it a Hipower cut as well as flatten the rear and remove the Aristocrat sight cut.

I built this one specifically for Bianchi Open Modified and it shoots great with the Bianchi loads - a real tackdriver. With major loads it hits back pretty hard but stays flat so I can shoot it awfully fast. That's good since I'm about to rebuild my old warhorse open gun and still need something to shoot in USPSA in the meantime. Weight empty is 42oz.

How well does that comp work? I have the same barrel on my open gun and I have yet to load for it. I am hesitant for lack of experience and knowledge.

How well does that comp work? I have the same barrel on my open gun and I have yet to load for it. I am hesitant for lack of experience and knowledge.

Most of what I shoot out of this gun has been minor ammo.

I did try using the same load as for my other open gun - 8.7gr 3N37 under a 125. It makes about 175 out of most any gun with holes in the barrel including this one. It felt pretty good when I was practicing through a long stage with varying distances. I do have to hold on a little tighter than with a external comp gun but this thing cycles like lightning!

With the major I'm just leaving the 10lb Sprinco spring in - same as for the minor. With the 10lb I can shoot from 118 pf (Zero factory Bianchi ammo) all the way to 175 pf.

I'm going to try 340, 3N38, and N105 in it to see what powder speed does to the impulse.

I think that I'll really like shooting this in IPSC at 160 pf. Can't wait until we start holding our IPSC matches here.

That setup is really nice. I've rarely seen a 6inches open gun without added comp.

Real nice work, congratulations.

Thanks for the kind words! I originally built this 6" TriBrid for Bianchi which only needs 120pf. I hadn't intended on shooting it in USPSA or IPSC but I had to test it so I took it to a local match and started using it. I usually shoot a shorty so I'm used to the blast and this gun wasn't too different. It's blasty with the hybrid holes and hits back in the hand with authority but it stays flat, recovers well, and cycles VERY fast.

I think that if our power factor here in the USA goes to 160 guns like this will be the hot ticket. I hollowed out an STI guide rod to lighten the front end up a bit more and the gun swings even better but I definitely like the convenience of the Dawson toolless rod.

Those are Hornady FMJ RN ENC 115's. They are the most accurate bullet I've ever shot in open. They come in 3000 box "value packs" but the problem is they have really shot up in price recently. I liked them mostly because of the enclosed base, which helps to stop the lead from building up in the comp. So I recently switched to Montana Gold HP's. They also have an enclosed base, and they come in a 4000 round box, shipped in a flate-rate USPS box. My mail-man HATES me. ;)