Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Not Shoot Lead Bullets?

mscott

I use lead bullets exclusively because they are $39/k for .40s which gives me a lot more shooting for the money. It seems like most people at matches are shooting jacketed bullets. I've tried plated and found no real advantage. It seems like the lead bullets are accurate enough and feed perfectly fine. Is the smoke an issue for some of you or what? It doesn't seem too bad at all with WST powder. Should I just buy a thousand jacketed bullets and see what I've been missing? If I would go the jacketed route I would definately need to limit my practice and make the most of it. I also tried Masterblasters and still seemed to get a little smoke, so I wasn't overly excited about them.

I shot cast lead bullets out of my .45s for years without complaint.

Then......

I started shooting .40 and used a lot of plated bullets. When I tried cast bullets I discovered I'm now a wuss about smoke. Doesn't help that the sun is in my face during practice, so the smoke seems worse.

Of course I haven't tried more than Titegroup (NOT for cast bullets) and Universal Clays, so there might be a better combo out there for cast bullets in the .40. However I'm also sick of casting bullets and especially lubing them, so the timing is right for a change. I'm more than happy to give my money to Precision Delta these days.

I shoot cast bullets in the .45 also. Mainly because they are cheap( $30 per 1000).

An added benefit is you can use less powder to make power factor with cast bullets.

Every great once in a while I'll get clouded up in smoke on a tough partial, and it sucks. But I'm not in any danger of winning anything, so I live with it.

<_< It makes a diff. to me= so much so that if I could get 'plain lead ' bullets for free , I wiould still use the jacketed. -But- I shoot a comped gun in 38 supper.

I want to have some parts of my brain remaining in ten years.

reloading lead is risky if you dont wash up thoroughly after. shooting lead will do the same thing. Also smoke is an issue.

A few bucks more will greatly reduce the risk of high lead blood levels.

Back in 87 I shot home cast lead in my 45. I got the lead for free so bullets were cheap ( 3 bucks a 1000). When I switched to 38 super open I used 160 gn lead bullets and they worked well in my open gun. Since then I have switched to jacketed and don't cast anymore. I still have all the stuff and a free source of lead but my time and health are a big concern now. If bullets keep going up I may have to start casting again ( NOT).

I still shoot lead for practice in a .45. But for any match I switch to Precisions. One stage a while back swore me off lead for competition.

Simple stage. Standing. Gun on table. At the buzz engage the three full papers standing from above table. Then go under the table and engage 4 partials with lots of no-shoot and hard cover. You couldn't just hose it. There was some aiming involved. Oh, and there were no-shoots at either side of the table to restrict light which also restricted the breeze. Anyone that shot lead was hosed on this stage as the smoke obscured the targets in short order.

Lesson learned. Lead has its place but can be a liability in competition.

I'm just getting into re-loading.

What is this "smoke" that's associated with lead bullets?

It is mostly the result of the lubricant used on lead bullets melting and burning.

I use lead bullets for practice only. Smoke is one problem. I also find that lead bullets are dirtier than their plated or jacketed counterparts.

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

It is mostly the result of the lubricant used on lead bullets melting and burning.

Ah, OK.

Lube to seat the bullet in the cartridge case?

Sorry for the side-track.

Ah, OK.

Most cast bullets have one or more grooves (lube rings) around the diameter of the bullet that is filled with a wax lubricant.

I don't think it has anything to do with seating the bullet.

It is more for preventing the lead from stripping out and fouling the bore of the gun (which it has a tendency to do) under intense heat and pressure.

This is part of the reason that lead isn't typically used in high velocity loads.

Under high pressure you start to get lead fouling, deformed bullet bases, gas blow-by, etc.

This can be compensated somewhat by a jacketed base called a "gas check".

Tls

Ah, OK.

The lube is used when the bullet goes down the barrel. It flows into the gaps between the bullet and the barrel, reducing leading among other things.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLubeCastBullets.htm

OBTopic:

The lead rounds I use are for my .45's. Slow bullets typically don't lead the barrel as much. My 38 super major rounds are all plated or jacketed.

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

I've shot lead in my .45 for many years. It was mostly in Bullseye and those loads were pretty mild. I never had any problems with leading, and the smoke was only an issue during late afternoon practices. I shot three times a week and shot my .22 a lot of the time. However, since I came over to the dark side and started shooting IPSC I've noticed some of the symptoms discussed in some of the threads on this forum that discuss lead poisoning. I intend to greatly reduce, if not eliminate my use of lead bullets. I encourage you to search for those lead poisoning threads and see if any of that information applies to you.

I used to shoot hard cast lead but didn't like the smoke it made. I now shoot Bear Creeks (as said in many other posts). I have a friend who casts his own in a magna caster, uses straight Linotype, and makes bullets for his 38 super. I can always tell when he is shooting because his gun smokes like those old steam powered locomotives.. You can always tell when he is shooting even if he is 2 bays away.. you can see it over the bay walls... :lol: However, for bigger matches he uses Jacketed too.. There was this crazy stage where he had to shoot a lot through a barrel.. apparently it filled up with so much smoke, he had to step away from it, let the smoke clear and then continue shooting when it had cleared.. :D

Vince

I think primer residue poses a larger risk to shooters than the cloud of smoke from lead bullets..which is mostly wax smoke.

FMJs smoke too, and that smoke is almost guaranteed to contain lead and you cannot see it as well ad the plume of white smoke from cast lead bullets.

bottom line, was up good and not be too worried about lead poisoning.

• 1 month later...
I use lead bullets exclusively because they are $39/k for .40s which gives me a lot more shooting for the money. It seems like most people at matches are shooting jacketed bullets. I've tried plated and found no real advantage. It seems like the lead bullets are accurate enough and feed perfectly fine. Is the smoke an issue for some of you or what? It doesn't seem too bad at all with WST powder. Should I just buy a thousand jacketed bullets and see what I've been missing? If I would go the jacketed route I would definately need to limit my practice and make the most of it. I also tried Masterblasters and still seemed to get a little smoke, so I wasn't overly excited about them.

I used to shoot lead but I hate the smoke. I'm now shooting the Precision Bullets. They cost less than jacketed. I have also herd of some people getting high lead counts from just the smoke.

It was a blast the last match watching .45 shooters with lead & Bullseye shooting through a barrel with the sun in their face. I use MasterBlasters & American Select & smoke was very noticeable so I will be changing bullets & powder for next year.