Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/22 Magazines

read the article in "Complete Book of the AR15" about the 10/22 practice rig Burkett recomends...wondering about the Butler Creek magazines...are the steel lips necessary or are the regular ones ok?

FatKid

btw any typo's are the fault of my 2 week old son i'm holding while typing...keeps kicking the laptop...trying to start him ight

You can use the plastic ones but....

For reliability and longetivity I would go with the metal feed lips at a minimum. The best mag for the 10/22 out there is the factory mag. The 10/22 uses the forward edge of the feed lips as the ejector. Plastic can't hold up to the abuse. I've seen a plastic feed lip Butler Creek mag melted down by couple of young'uns and two bricks of ammo in an afternoon. Also, most aftermarket mags can't be disassembled for cleaning.

If you go with factory mags you will want to tune them a bit. Every so often one will have a bit of flashing that needs to be removed. Cranking up the spring tension helps in the function also.

10/22 Rotory Mag Service

The link in post 3 is broken but has been relocated here.

Another mag service link.

• 5 years later...

Can anyone comment on the reliability of the factory 10rd mags vs. the new 25rd ones?

I just got 2.. hopefully when it warms up a little.. I'll try them out.. they look better that the Butler Creeks.. but reliability is all I'm looking for

I ran a Ruger 25 the other day and my bullets nose dived into the front of the magazine. I was shooting Federal Auto Match. I do have a tactical solutions plastic mag that has all of the features as the aluminum one but only cost $35. This is the only reliable mag I have found.

• 1 year later...

Saw a Black Dog 50 round drum for Ruger 10/22 at Sportsman's Warehouse today just sitting there on the shelf. From the time I saw it until the time it was in my cart was under a second...quickest reaction time I have ever logged. :)

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Saw a Black Dog 50 round drum for Ruger 10/22 at Sportsman's Warehouse today just sitting there on the shelf. From the time I saw it until the time it was in my cart was under a second...quickest reaction time I have ever logged. :)

jj

I can just imagine the look on JJ's face as he grabbed that mag.

Go over to RFC and look up HC3R

Seems to be the "best" mags out there right now

http://www.rimfirece...&highlight=hc3r

There is a vid at the link (not mine) add some info for you

Got a friend who owns a gun shop and he is telling me the same thing., Got 2 stuck back on the shelf until I can pick them up tomorrow. Report to follow....