Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Shoes For Ranges With Gravel?

Looking for some shoes that will be specifically for gravel ranges.

I was slipping and sliding with my Converse Tacticals at Dundee a couple of days ago. I also used the Converse in Bend and I remember my feet were just killing me (more than usual) after standing around on the Bend ranges all day. I used New Balance trail type sneakers for the A1 match at Sherwood and they felt and performed a little better.

Any specific recommendations of a model of shoe from you Oregon shooters? Or any advice from people who have gravel in their home ranges?

There aren't any gravel ranges here in Southern Cal so I can't really test the different shoes. Looking for opinions from the experienced.

+1 on the LandSharks. I've worn them at Dundee, the Idaho State Match, and at Area 1

last weekend. I'll be wearing them at the match this Saturday at Dundee. Come on

out---we're doing the Jungle Run :D

Gravel = aggressive cleat. End of story.

+3 on LandSharks.

I take the cleats off and switch to a plush sole if there is a long wait between stages as they don't excel at standing, waiting and working. But they really do grip when running, cutting corners and stopping on grass and loose material surfaces.

+4 on the landsharks, with dr. scholls sport inserts. plus they are finally making them in wide sizes for my luau feet.

a very close are mizuno baseball cleats. I don't know the model but it has rubber cleats like to landsharks.

+6.

Bought my Landsharks in february at a Nike Outlet in Orlando for $19.99, and loved them.

BTW, most ranges here in Italy have gravel as ground surface, and the LS are simply perfect. ;)

Edited by Skywalker

Can I ask what the second choice is? I never have been able to find a pair of Nike's that felt comfortablel.

Thanks,

Keith

I agree w/ you on that one. I bought some Land Sharks a few years back and they hurt my feet so bad that it tossed them in the trash.

I just went to the local soccer stores and tried on cleats till I found a pair that fit. But for the life of me, I cant remember what brand i bought. I'll check when i get home in Oct.

Look into Merrel as well. Trail running shoes will give you aggressive tread. I switch between Merril's and Nike Air Trigo's.

Famous Footwear has been having trail shoes on sale for a good bit now, may want to check them out.

Merrell. I don't like the Nike either, they seem to not have enough support for my taste. Merrells come with a few different thread patterns, and of course it seems that they just discontinued my favorite, the Reflex. No matter, I always find something I like in their lineup.

Of course, for a pair of Merrells, you can but 3 or 4 pairs of Land Sharks.

I had to use shoe stretchers in my Land Sharks to get them to fit.

Bought a pair of DBL Go Shark Nikes from a buddy at a match and they felt good right off the bat. A bit more aggresive than the Land Sharks, so I use them for wet weather and use the Land Sharks for dry conditions.

I've been very impressed with the Land Sharks on smooth surfaces compared to most spikes. Of course I have years of experience trying to walk on tile in the locker room with the now obsolete metal spikes on my golf shoes.

I haven't been able to find more of these DBL Go Sharks, but my buddy bought them from a store that was going out of business quite a while back. No idea what they cost, but they are a step up from the Land Sharks. I paid him $15. They have convinced me that if I want comfort, it might be a good idea to NOT buy the absolute cheapest spikes Nike sells (Land Sharks). They have spikes that appear to be made out of the same material as the Land Sharks, as they do OK on smooth surfaces (meaning I don't slip and slide on tile).

I have been using these Eastons with great results. Price is around $40. There are also alot of other Nike choices as reasonable as the Landsharks for around $30. Rogan's and Play it Again Sports are some good resources. I have since rounded off the back set of cleats via advice from Matt Burkett. It does seem to help smooth out the movement into positions.

post-5009-1151078848_thumb.jpg

Ok so get cleats. I can't find any Nike Land Sharks in wide sizes. Their website seems to indicate that they only make one width.

I need wide sizes so I'll check out the New Balance cleats.

Also I prefer reinforced toes. The New Balance all terrain sneakers I wore doesn't have reinforced toes and I rediscovered why I went to the Converse Tacticals --- I stub my toes a lot for some reason.

So any recommendations on cleats in wide sizes that have a reinforced toe area? :D

Ok so get cleats. I can't find any Nike Land Sharks in wide sizes. Their website seems to indicate that they only make one width.

I need wide sizes so I'll check out the New Balance cleats.

Also I prefer reinforced toes. The New Balance all terrain sneakers I wore doesn't have reinforced toes and I rediscovered why I went to the Converse Tacticals --- I stub my toes a lot for some reason.

So any recommendations on cleats in wide sizes that have a reinforced toe area? :D

You may want to look at Nike Keystone. I too have a wide foot and this was all they had that fit me. They are a baseball cleat and more aggressvie than the landshark but great in dirt. Not sure how they do in gravel yet.

I have been using a pair of baseball cleat from Adidas. The Baseball cleats have wide cleats that go around the perimeter of the tread. This give great side to side traction and they also seem to work better on wet plywood props that most football cleats.

mcb

Edited by mcb

If you've got a GI Joes in your area...try them out for LandSharks...thats where I got mine.

+1 for GI Joes, thats where I got mine as well

Cleats can get a bit uncomfortable after a long day. Sometimes I will just wear boots, or tennis shoes (New Balance trail running shoes) depending on the course of fire. I have been known to change my shoes at a match.

I wore a pair of Bates M6 Desert Assault Boots for Days 1 & 2 of Area 1, and a pair of Nike running shoes for Day 3 (Stage 9 Bus to Perdition and Stage 11).

Nike shoes all seem to have been built on a narrow last. I rarely can find Nike shoes that are comfortable, and have been buying New Balance of late.

I have never shot an IPSC match on anything but gravel, and the nefarious "Jungle Run" at Dundee.

Merrell. I don't like the Nike either, they seem to not have enough support for my taste. Merrells come with a few different thread patterns, and of course it seems that they just discontinued my favorite, the Reflex. No matter, I always find something I like in their lineup.

Of course, for a pair of Merrells, you can but 3 or 4 pairs of Land Sharks.

I like to get the discontinued lines, major discounts on price. The thrill of the hunt....

Try The Sportsmansguide.com.

They have good prices on Merrells, both regular, overstock and discontinued lines.

I have never found a pair of Nikes that fit in whatever style for whatever purpose.

I am now a dedicated Merrell and Columbia trail shoe wearer. Both are available in wider sizes although the wide sizes can be tougher to find. I wear them for darn near everything.

Wait...IPSC is shot on something besides gravel? Really? ;)

I wear a "turf-type" soccer shoe and have in competition for the past 18 years both indoor and outdoor matches. The current brand I'm wearing is a Kelme, but have also worn the Pumas. The little bumps seem to work good in the gravel and also on concrete, or a hard durt surface. I'm sure a more agressive football or soccer cleat would work better in the mud.

These shoes never hurt my feet and seem to be a good compromise.

Enjoy

Marty

A-7424