Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Big Is Your Big Stick?

outerlimits

Was watching Saul's world shoot DVD's (which are absolutely great), and noticed a number of super squad folks shooting 30 rounds on a stage, with no reload. believe it was stage 29. in one case, max shot his dry.

mine hold 28, plus one. i heard bevin does a mod to a big stack that will get you 30 rounds, fer something like $75. so how many of you have one in your bag?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the [somewhat sadistic] pleasure of wandering around a match with my Official Area-Director USPSA Mag-Length Gauge in hand. What I've found is that there are generally two types of mags that hold 29+1: mags that have an ever-so-slightly-too-long basepad on them (a 4mm basepad on a 170mm tube generally won't fit the gauge, in my experience) or mags where the spring is about to go, allowing that last round to go in, but leaving it a crap shoot whether it will come back out when you want it to.

I get 28+1 in mine (SV tubes, Arredondo 'thin' basepad, Grams guts); when I can get a 29th one in I know it is time to replace springs.

ymmv

:ph34r:

Bruce

Edited by bgary

Staring with all new components:

- untuned "post ban" 170mm SV tube

- Dawson +1 base pad

- Gramms spring/follower kit

I can just get 28 rounds in my two 170mm magazines and I wouldn't want to seat them so loaded with the slide down. So I'm at 27+1 of 38 Supercomp in both of my 170's. I purchased an official mag gauge and they both just fit in the gauge. I saw a couple people "outed" at the last big match I was at so I was sure to get a guage and check all my magazines. The mags run fine so I'm not too worried about the capacity right now.

If the magazine runs OK I don't know how much I'd pay to get 1 or 2 more rounds. On the other hand if I had magazines that were not reliable I would send them to a pro for tuning right away. Getting mags that work is worth it at any level.

29 rounds in all my STI big sticks and they fit the gauge. Gramms tuned tubes, new Gramms spring/follower, & basepad. Last round is medium tight, with brand new springs I have to bump the magazine while holding down the top round to easily insert the 29th round. After a few loading/unloading cycles I can generally load the last round without bumping the mag.

I generally only load 29 when I really need it because reloading to a full 29 rounds seems to lead to cracked grip frames for me.

Even at 29 rounds they are so reliable I hardly ever use my 140mm mags.

Nolan

29 rounds in all my STI big sticks and they fit the gauge. Gramms tuned tubes, new Gramms spring/follower, & basepad. Last round is medium tight, with brand new springs I have to bump the magazine while holding down the top round to easily insert the 29th round. After a few loading/unloading cycles I can generally load the last round without bumping the mag.

I generally only load 29 when I really need it because reloading to a full 29 rounds seems to lead to cracked grip frames for me.

Even at 29 rounds they are so reliable I hardly ever use my 140mm mags.

Nolan

Ditto what Nolan said

Edited by 9x23

When you have LOTS of experience, and that most times comes with age....you VERY SELDOM have an AD...Most of the time I just load enough ammo to finish the COF...no need to load more....that is for the whippersnappers who wildly shoot "among them" instead of seeing what you need to see and thenbeing certain you hit the target....Kind of similar to running a plate rack...if you miss once or several times, that might be considered a poor performance...but if you take your time, and hurry slowly, everything seems to work out...