Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideas On A Replacement Production Gun?

dghboy315

i've been running an ernie langdon beretta 92g elite 2 for a bunch of years now and i love it. but, i've come to realize that the grip is just too big for me. i can't press the mag release w/out adjusting my grip. i believe this really hurts my performance. i want a new platform. here are my contenders, please comment and tell me if i'm missing something great.

glock - this is the top contender. i shoot it well, the trigger is good, and there are a ton of accessories. the only negative is that everyone uses one and i would like to be a little different.

xd - i really like this gun, but my dad has had reliability problems with his xd-9. a little gunk on the inside really messed it. i don't know the overall reputation and track reliability track record for this gun as a whole. also the trigger reset is terrible.

sig - i don't shoot this gun well. the bore feels too high for me.

cz - i can't reach the controls on this gun.

sw-99 - i don't like the feel. and the decoker is in a terrible place.

9mm 1911 - this would be perfect if it was allowed in production division

what do you all think? am i wrong anywhere? am i missing anything?

I'm thinking that if a Beretta grip is too big a widebody Para is out. But a singlestack LDA might be the ticket.

FWIW, I like the grip I get on my Paras, including my LDA, quite a bit more than the Beretta and Taurus guns I started with. I also have very small hands (size 6 1/2 glove).

I'd suggest Glock or LDA. The Glock has a shorter reset. I tend to favor my LDA, but only because I mostly use my Paras in competition, I have a gazillion mags, and the platform similarity suits me.

Edited by kevin c

If you can get your hands on one the new S&W M&P (.40 for now) is a sweet gun and when the 9mm comes out should be awesome. The price is right and with production being minor scoring a mousephart .40 load (reloaded or Corbon match .40) is going to be a sleeper. Trigger from the box is good and can be tweeked, choice of backstraps cover any wrist angle preferance. The grip is not big/bulky and it is hard to belive that it holds 15 rounds of .40.

If you are seeking a small grip, take a look at the Steyr; it is ever bit as good and accurate as a Glock with a lower bore axis and for less money; Tom Freeman of the Air Force team used one to make Master class. About the size of a Glock 19 though. Smallest grip there is.

Shot an M&P the other day in .40 (thanks Jack!) and its about the same size as the Steyr M40 or Glock 19; looks to be a great gun (I liked it quite a bit).

As for my favorite (I have big mits) you wrote: "cz - i can't reach the controls on this gun."

Guilty as charged. However, if you can try a SP-01, it has a different trigger that might suit you a little better; still, its built for large hands.

Had a P18.9 LDA Ltd..decent gun but had to change too many things. The 10 rnd mag base plates extensions kept breaking. Moot point now but mags are still $40 ea.

Saw XD's detail stripped. :blink: Gawd!

Glocks are too simple for words. Parts/mags are cheap. And they always work.

I have used my XD-9 for about a year in USPSA. It has over 10,000 rounds through it already. It has performed flawlessly until a couple of weeks ago. In all those rounds, I'd had only 8 FTE/FTFs. Yes, I do keep track and yes I know I am a bit anal.

It finally had a problem just before Christmas and was failing to eject the spent rounds. I sent it to Springfield on December 27th. They had it back to me by January 5th. They replaced the locking block, reamed the chamber and tuned the extractor. My total cost, including shipping both ways, was exactly nothing! With a life-time warranty, that is how much I will pay every time I need to fix it. At the current rate, that should be in another 10,000 rounds.

It is a great production pistol as well as a joy to shoot. I definitely recommend it.

I would suggest a Glock. I know you want to be different, but there is a reason that everyone shoots them, it is proven and a great gun for production. If you go with a Glock 35 you would be able to use it in production, limited 10 and limited. Mags are the cheapest of any of the guns that are listed and accesories are plentiful. Accuracy is there and a 35 loaded to minor is AWESOME to shoot. Recoil feels LESS then 9mm to me.

The S&W M&P could also be a possibality as mentioned. I got one for christmas and love it as well. I have put about 400 rounds through it so far and like it. Recoil is not bad in .40 and it is as accurate as my glock 22. But I would still have to give the edge to the Glock 35 because of the above mentioned points.

Get a Glock and a set of good sights. Like you said, everyone uses one. I can't see why it's a negative thing if it works for everyone :wacko: . I'll worry about shooting as good or better than everyone else ;) . $0.02.

Edited by norbs007

I hate glocks, I hate glocks in any form or fashion. A new production gun? A glock 34 with a new set of sights.-----Larry

:rofl:

Better yet - A glock 35 with new sights shooting minor PF handloads. (I believe the 35 weighs about 1.5oz more than the 34.)

I have a Glock 22 with a KKM barrel and bought a Para 1640 LDA LTD for production thinking the heavier gun and longer sight radius would be an advantage. It's a nice gun and shoots very accurately off the bench (groups better than the Glock) - but in one and two-handed stances I still shoot the Glock much faster and more accurately even with major PF ammo, let alone minor. That may change after a few thousand more rounds through the gun, but I'm kind of thinking I would have been better off with a Glock 35.

John

I have been shooting Glock for the past several years. I just switched to the XD9 Tactical for Production. I sent the gun to Canyon Creek for some trigger work. After this is done, Glock can not touch the trigger in any way. Trigger feels more like a 1911 than a production. I am very pleased so far.

Only down fall is that Springfield will not sell parts, so you have to send the gun in for any repairs other than recoil spring. Hopefully some aftermarket company will start manufacturing parts for this so far awsome pistol.

I had the same mag release / grip problem, sort of, with my Berettas. I have an Elite 92G and an FS. Both have had major action work and are very sweeeeet. How I got around the grip problem when changing mags, was to simply remove a couple of coils from my mag release spring and reverse the release to the right side.

Problem solved, no need for the tuperware.

John, I wasnt thinking .40 minor. With a 35 minor would be sweet and limited or L10 is just a twist of the powder measure away. Good call.----Larry

IKYTX/Larry

Where did you get that picture looks like Jack Nickelson pickin his honker

want it to tease my grand daughter.

Jim/Pa

Sailors custom

If you can't reach the controls on a CZ, you won't be able to reach them on a single stack 1911 either. :( A double stack 1911 would be out of the question. A Steyr might work, if you can find one that runs - they're out there, just not in my gun cabinet. :angry:

If you can't reach the controls on a CZ, you won't be able to reach them on a single stack 1911 either. :( A double stack 1911 would be out of the question. A Steyr might work, if you can find one that runs - they're out there, just not in my gun cabinet. :angry:

Chuck, you can't shoot a 1911 in Production.

Andy C.

I still don't think a better gun has been made than the Glock 17. Glock's first attempt and they definitely got it right. Set of sights, little bit of Tru-Grip and you're ready to race. If you want there are plenty of well documented ways to do a trigger job. You can basically carry enough spare parts to replace anything that might break (Really unlikely on a 17, more likely on some of the other models). There is no easier gun to detail strip and play with.

I still don't think a better gun has been made than the Glock 17. Glock's first attempt and they definitely got it right. Set of sights, little bit of Tru-Grip and you're ready to race. If you want there are plenty of well documented ways to do a trigger job. You can basically carry enough spare parts to replace anything that might break (Really unlikely on a 17, more likely on some of the other models). There is no easier gun to detail strip and play with.

Big +1.

I like the 34 a little more than the 17, just because I think the 17 looks a little too short.

If you really want to be different, buy a GAP(G37?) and shoot minor, that would be different.