Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICORE open work.

Joe4d

Currently sitting on a 4" pro series flat side barrel 627.. running mooned 38 short colt. Alchin mount soon to be LPA mount, with an FTP A 3 optic... umm yeh with a fresh change at home neverready battery. Action and internals I can do myself, was thinking of porting ,, ( can you port a slab side ?) or maybe getting some kinda new barrel with a comp or ports installed. 
I tried a 929 6 inch and really hated the nose heavy feel.. Am I just spending money or will there be actual improvements to be had ? I mean with 147's over AA2, I am guessing maybe not much to gain from ports. Maybe spend the money on federal primers and a trigger job ?

I don't think the ports help a lot, I would buy federal primers, replace the hammer or bob your stock hammer, install Wilson Combat springs and chamfer the cylinder. Then you can have a sub 6lb trigger and a wheel gun that rocks!

Talk to toolguy, warren. At the next mc icore.  He shoots some at bianchi, which is more accuracy intensive.

To be truly effective you need a lighter bullet with a higher velocity.

I thought about this with my 4" 627 then I realized oh right my 38 shorts don't produce any pressure 🥴. Use the money and buy a apex or TK hammer w pin. 

What fresh hell is this ?
Itty bitty gnats hair Allen wrench.. Check
small pry screwdriver    Check
Magnetic bowl to do work over in case I drop screws.... Check.
Illuminated jewelers magnifying lamp ... Check
New pack of Duracell 2032's..... Check.....  In  *&#@ !  child proof packaging 🤬 

Well once I got the battery in, the bit of practice paid off..  I got some really good times for me in the IPM match... well other than a whole list of extra shot, extra hit penalties,, I racked up double tapping the strong hand only 1 shot per limited stage...... Yeh,, those kinda add up.

On 7/25/2024 at 6:34 PM, Joe4d said:

I tried a 929 6 inch and really hated the nose heavy feel.. Am I just spending money?  Maybe spend the money on federal primers and a trigger job ?

How it feels changes.   If you have been shooting a 4" barrel and goto a heavy 6" its going to feel very different.   If you give in to it, dry fire transitions a few times a day in 5-10 min blocks for a week or 3, you will adapt to the differences and all will be well.

A trigger and primers is money well spent.  Time well spent is in dry fire where you adapt and learn for no money.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, testosterone said:

How it feels changes.   If you have been shooting a 4" barrel and goto a heavy 6" its going to feel very different.   If you give in to it, dry fire transitions a few times a day in 5-10 min blocks for a week or 3, you will adapt to the differences and all will be well.

A trigger and primers is money well spent.  Time well spent is in dry fire where you adapt and learn for no money.

that or trade it and get a 4" 627 that feels the same as all my other revolvers. uses the same ammo as my other revolvers and can actually shoot off the shelf ammo

Edited by Joe4d

3 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

that or trade it and get a 4" 627 that feels the same as all my other revolvers. uses the same ammo as my other revolvers and can actually shoot off the shelf ammo

That works too.

10 hours ago, Joe4d said:

If you’re looking for a person to make a trade, I could be your guy…

I took my 929 open gun and had the barrel cut to 5 inches, flat sided the barrel and had 4 ports added to each side of the rib.  I don't think the ports make a bit of difference, but I like the way the 5 inch barrel feels.

3 hours ago, rooster mcbee said:

I took my 929 open gun and had the barrel cut to 5 inches, flat sided the barrel and had 4 ports added to each side of the rib.  I don't think the ports make a bit of difference, but I like the way the 5 inch barrel feels.

yes, I thought about that.  Get the nose lighter...  But 1. I wasnt a fan of the N frame,, 2. Ammo,, most factory didnt work..

You don't need a compensator on a revolver.  Spend your money on a good trigger from Apex Tactical or RevUpHammer and then buy Federal primers.

I liked heavy bullets and used 160 grain RNL for most of my 9 mm loads.  For .38s I like a 185 grain bullet that I had a mold made for.  It shot best with Unique and would shoot sub 1 " groups at 25 all day long.

Steven

right now I got ammo issues.. Chrono'd my match 146 gr bayou;s  loads at 114 pf yesterday... baggie was laying on my aluminum truck bed,, and were between 110 and 120 when I shot them,, gun was warm as well .
Took em out this AM in a cooler and shot them with bullets at 72 degrees, and got 124 pf. Have a batch of Blues advertised 147's  on the way.. Thinking they may weigh 148.. may bump up a gr, for hot weather use.. Granted if its 100 degrees I aint shooting a major,, and I would hope chrono station would be in shade and bullets not left in sun

9 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

right now I got ammo issues.. Chrono'd my match 146 gr bayou;s  loads at 114 pf yesterday... baggie was laying on my aluminum truck bed,, and were between 110 and 120 when I shot them,, gun was warm as well .
Took em out this AM in a cooler and shot them with bullets at 72 degrees, and got 124 pf. Have a batch of Blues advertised 147's  on the way.. Thinking they may weigh 148.. may bump up a gr, for hot weather use.. Granted if its 100 degrees I aint shooting a major,, and I would hope chrono station would be in shade and bullets not left in sun

What powder

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

What powder

38 short, 1.165 oal 146 gr .358 RN coated 3.4 gr AA#2  mixed CCI whitebox and federal SP Champion primers  ammo 110-120 degrees F  measured with IR laser  767 fps 112pf

same load this AM, cylinder and ammo 72-80 degrees.  844 fps  123 pf,,, which was what I got at eastern NE last year

19 hours ago, Joe4d said:

yes, I thought about that.  Get the nose lighter...  But 1. I wasnt a fan of the N frame,, 2. Ammo,, most factory didnt work..

I realize you are shooting factory but isn't the 627 an N frame?

31 minutes ago, revoman said:

VV N320 powder does not vary much between hot or cold temperatures or high or low altitudes. 

Thats good to know as I have read that 310 and 320 could be temperature sensitive.  I have shot in 95 degree weather and near or below freezing but never chronoed loads.  Accuracy never changed.  

19 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Now, that makes no sense.  You got higher velocities when the powder was cooler?  Lower when the powder was warmer?

Air temp isn't a good correlation with powder temp.  Firearm being hot or cold won't heat up or cool down the powder unless you leave the cartridge in the chamber or cylinder for a long time. 

A sure fire way to heat up ammo is leave it exposed to a hot sun.  You would know it because if your loaded ammo was 120 degrees, you would really want hand protection to handle the brass.   

I think your chronograph is more the issue.  They work but only if set up perfectly, under very neutral light conditions, and the shooter shoots through the basket uniformly.  Even then, I would bet if you shot over the chrono the next day, in the same conditions, that you would see a velocity difference.  The question would be if it means anything.  In your case, it does but my bet it isn't the powder.

BTW -- every AA powder I have used has been more sensitive to changes in powder temp than any other powder I have tried.  Just that the warmer it got, the higher the velocity and pressure.  I don't use it very much.  Too dirty.

GG

13 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

Now, that makes no sense.  You got higher velocities when the powder was cooler?  Lower when the powder was warmer?

Air temp isn't a good correlation with powder temp.  Firearm being hot or cold won't heat up or cool down the powder unless you leave the cartridge in the chamber or cylinder for a long time. 

A sure fire way to heat up ammo is leave it exposed to a hot sun.  You would know it because if your loaded ammo was 120 degrees, you would really want hand protection to handle the brass.   

I think your chronograph is more the issue.  They work but only if set up perfectly, under very neutral light conditions, and the shooter shoots through the basket uniformly.  Even then, I would bet if you shot over the chrono the next day, in the same conditions, that you would see a velocity difference.  The question would be if it means anything.  In your case, it does but my bet it isn't the powder.

BTW -- every AA powder I have used has been more sensitive to changes in powder temp than any other powder I have tried.  Just that the warmer it got, the higher the velocity and pressure.  I don't use it very much.  Too dirty.

GG

If my chrono is an issue then  every match chrono I ever shot has nearly the exact issue as I generally come out the same at matches. Was a hair low at Eastern Nebraska but I bet it was in the 80's .
I measured the temp of the bullets them selves with an IR laser.. And yep those 120's were hot to pick up and put in the gun. That was the second bag.. First bag was CCI primers and were a bit faster, bag with federal primers was laying on truck bed so was the second string,, I keep the heat laser in my truck tool bag,, so pulled it out when my velocities were low.
Thought about trying WST,, but it has the same reputation for reverse heat sensitivity. AA#2 has had alot of the same comments. Honestly I never believed it until now,, or never figured it would make that much of a difference, as I am a fair weather shooter generally, So my Chrono days and match days wouldnt be a big enough difference that doing the typical 5 over PF wouldnt cover... Granted laying ammo in a baggie on an aluminum truck bed on a 100 plus degree day was a bit extreme I wasnt expecting that big a swing.
As mentioned got some Blues coming a gr heavier, I shortened OAL to 1.155 and upped a 10th a gr.. Will see what happens.