Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue bullets/Bayou Bullets?

Summit City is a sponsor here and frequently posts discount codes in their forum and email lists.  They've worked well for me, as have Blues and Precision over the years.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/14/2024 at 12:20 PM, PaleoMan said:

I see Blue mentioning about discounts for subscriptions. Have you ever done that?

Looked at it, but I typically make a large bulk order and take the bulk order discount.  Depending on the manufacturer it ranges from 10-15% and with shipping included in the price. 

I gave Summit City a shot several months ago since they sponsor the forum, and have been shooting them ever since.  I don’t think I’ll buy another brand moving forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Read the fine print before ordering Blues.  Most of the bullet makers ship US Post Office in a flat rate box, which results in a 35-50 pound box.  This is problematic.  In many areas, the Post Office does not like delivering heavy packages and holds them or notes them as “unable to deliver” with no consequences (they are Feds, after all).  Sometimes they even return them to the company without trying to deliver them.  This has happened to me several times (usually with Precision Delta, who promptly re-shipped them, sometimes via UPS).  Blue Bullets explicitly says on their website that your bullets are no longer their problem once they are given to the Post Office.  I have a couple friends who found out the hard way that Blue Bullets didn’t want to be bothered when their orders went to the Post Office twilight zone.  I have no personal experience with Blues and believe they make good stuff, but there are too many other bullet makers selling quality products to risk giving Blue Bullets my money.  

Edited by deerslayer

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

Read the fine print before ordering Blues.  Most of the bullet makers ship US Post Office in a flat rate box, which results in a 35-50 pound box.  This is problematic.  In many areas, the Post Office does not like delivering heavy packages and holds them or notes them as “unable to deliver” with no consequences (they are Feds, after all).  Sometimes they even return them to the company without trying to deliver them.  This has happened to me several times (usually with Precision Delta, who promptly re-shipped them, sometimes via UPS).  Blue Bullets explicitly says on their website that your bullets are no longer their problem once they are given to the Post Office.  I have a couple friends who found out the hard way that Blue Bullets didn’t want to be bothered when their orders went to the Post Office twilight zone.  I have no personal experience with Blues and believe they make good stuff, but there are too many other bullet makers selling quality products to risk giving Blue Bullets my money.  

What do you expect them to do about it? UPS rates are 3x+ the cost of usps priority service. They’d have to really pump up their prices. And it’s not as if UPS is problem free..

it’s not their problem that your local usps has a bunch of quota hires. 

2 hours ago, Rich406 said:

What do you expect them to do about it? UPS rates are 3x+ the cost of usps priority service. They’d have to really pump up their prices. And it’s not as if UPS is problem free..

it’s not their problem that your local usps has a bunch of quota hires. 

It’s not just a local problem and it is definitely Blue Bullets’ problem if they want to earn my business.  

Some bullet makers offer an option for insurance.  Some just go crazy old school and take care of their customer.  What a concept.  Maybe Blue can call Precision Delta and learn some business practices that are better than their current “F you” policy.  

UPS is not 3x the cost and shipping problems are a fraction of what USPS willfully causes.  After USPS lost $20k of Black Bullets International’s shipments, he switched to UPS for a modest cost increase as long as the package was less than 40 pounds.  There are alternatives to rolling the dice with USPS.

Edited by deerslayer

7 hours ago, deerslayer said:

It’s not just a local problem and it is definitely Blue Bullets’ problem if they want to earn my business.  

Some bullet makers offer an option for insurance.  Some just go crazy old school and take care of their customer.  What a concept.  Maybe Blue can call Precision Delta and learn some business practices that are better than their current “F you” policy.  

UPS is not 3x the cost and shipping problems are a fraction of what USPS willfully causes.  After USPS lost $20k of Black Bullets International’s shipments, he switched to UPS for a modest cost increase as long as the package was less than 40 pounds.  There are alternatives to rolling the dice with USPS.

you filed written formal complaint ? I have and it usually nips it in the bud.
I followed a mail carrier that pulled this "cant deliver note" nonsense.. While I was standing in drive way watchign them.. Followed them to the post office 1/2 mile away..  Tried to get me my box... I said no I paid to have that box delivered to my house,,, you will do so.. Post master made them bring it to my house..
When I moved to Kansas, shipped tried same thing,, much lighter box but bigger,, 
"hah Hah" wouldnt fit you gotta go pick it up"
Umm I dont think so,,you need to go get it..   She still gives me the stink eye but my stuff gets delivered.

Point being you cant just gripe about bad service,, you have to get involved to do something about it.
Report carrier for fraud, bad service etc to post master, or up the chain to a postal investigator.. 

13 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I had an older women delivering mail for us. She would bitch when my bullets were being delivered.

I told here to leave them at the post office and I would pick them up. She would leave me a note in the mail box.

They all new my name. No problem, I get it. Hell, I don't want to lift those boxes.

Just give them a heads up, leave a note in your mailbox or talk to them.

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

you filed written formal complaint ? I have and it usually nips it in the bud.
I followed a mail carrier that pulled this "cant deliver note" nonsense.. While I was standing in drive way watchign them.. Followed them to the post office 1/2 mile away..  Tried to get me my box... I said no I paid to have that box delivered to my house,,, you will do so.. Post master made them bring it to my house..
When I moved to Kansas, shipped tried same thing,, much lighter box but bigger,, 
"hah Hah" wouldnt fit you gotta go pick it up"
Umm I dont think so,,you need to go get it..   She still gives me the stink eye but my stuff gets delivered.

Point being you cant just gripe about bad service,, you have to get involved to do something about it.
Report carrier for fraud, bad service etc to post master, or up the chain to a postal investigator.. 

I never did, but BBI did and got nowhere with the local postmaster or their boss.  He solved the problem by switching.  I guess companies like Blue Bullets expect you to go through all the hassle you describe for the privilege of buying their product.  They won’t get my money.  

The one USPS bullet order (of probably 10 over the years) that was delivered to my door was comical to watch on camera.  The box weighed 35 pounds, but the woman acted like it was an engine block.  But at least she delivered it.  

Edited by deerslayer

23 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I had an older women delivering mail for us. She would bitch when my bullets were being delivered.

I told here to leave them at the post office and I would pick them up. She would leave me a note in the mail box.

They all new my name. No problem, I get it. Hell, I don't want to lift those boxes.

Just give them a heads up, leave a note in your mailbox or talk to them.

The local post office is open 8-4.  Not an option for people who work full time. 

Edited by deerslayer

1 minute ago, deerslayer said:

I never did, but BBI did and got nowhere with the local postmaster or their boss.  He solved the problem by switching.  I guess companies like Blue Bullets expect you to go through all the hassle you describe for the privilege of buying their product.  They won’t get my money.  

The one USPS bullet (of probably 10 over the years) order that was delivered to my door was comical to watch on camera.  The box weighed 35 pounds, but the woman acted like it was an engine block.  But at least she delivered it.  

Black Bullets recently decided to close.  How much of a factor was his shipping problems in the decision to close, I bet atleast some. 

10 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Black Bullets recently decided to close.  How much of a factor was his shipping problems in the decision to close, I bet atleast some. 

None.  He got a job offer he couldn’t refuse.  I know him personally and if he had not gotten away from USPS, he would have closed much sooner.  His prices with UPS shipping included were very competitive.  Go check his website and see for yourself.  

Edited by deerslayer

10 hours ago, deerslayer said:

At the risk of not being PC, the problem is almost always a small female or older mail carrier. Pretty much they give no s#!ts, they usually dont even load the heavy boxes on their truck. Some areas are worse than others. 

For me personally, I’ve had to switch to having bullets delivered to my business. When I get a new mail person, I tell them to let my guys know, and they go out to the truck and bring the boxes in. When I tried to have them delivered to my house, most of the time they simply never showed up. 

I don’t think anyone is disputing that USPS sucks. But the bullet manufacturers are doing their part. They make the bullets. Once they ship them, it’s completely out of their control. 

14 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

For me personally, I’ve had to switch to having bullets delivered to my business. When I get a new mail person, I tell them to let my guys know, and they go out to the truck and bring the boxes in. When I tried to have them delivered to my house, most of the time they simply never showed up. 

A buddy and I tried that, since his work’s front door was maybe 10 steps from where the mail jeep parked.  That one got “unable to deliver” and was immediately returned.  We didn’t even have the chance to go get it.  Precision Delta re-shipped it and didn’t charge us.  I think they regarded it as a known cost of doing business via USPS.  Fortunately, they are not an “ain’t my problem” business.  

14 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Once they ship them, it’s completely out of their control. 

I disagree.  

Since BBI is closing, I need a new bullet company and I will have a phone conversation about shipping options and a few what ifs before they get my business.  I may say to hell with coated bullets and just go back to Precision Delta, since they are only about 1 penny extra and they will not tell me to go fly a kite if there is shipping drama.  

Edited by deerslayer

3 minutes ago, xrayfk05 said:

And you are not over the 70lbs limit for a flat-rate box? 
Which is just over 4K 124 grainers and not even 3K 180 grainers.

I think the medium flat rate boxes usually end up around 50 lbs.  

I’ve been pretty lucky here. The girls at our PO are pretty tough and I give them a heads up when some “heavy’s” are coming. Plus some goodies at Christmas and other holidays helps too! 😁 Most of the time my stuff gets screwed up before it gets to our PO or from poor packaging. There’s probably still a trail of bullets from Midway to here. My bro lost 3k pieces of brass when the train derailed in Montana, so there’s that too. 

My mail lady is stout and super cool.  I tell I'll be happy to go out to the van and grab the bullet boxes, but she usually just whips them onto the front porch herself.

yeh, my normal one is,, it has only ever been part time fill ins that get lazy...
Although generally I only order 1000 at a time,, just makes it easier all around..  I dont shoot near as much as I used to though

My last 3K Bayou order, my mail guy (who used to be one of my students and is a good friend) said, "Ordering bullets again, huh? I will be glad when the snow flies. Then my back just aches from shoveling." as he was throwing the ball for my dog!

They claim to lift 70 lbs but the 65 lb 3K boxes freak some of the carriers out.

I've bought from at least 6 or 7 bullet manufacturers over the years. I have had no issues getting my bullets delivered in the priority mail boxes. I always get near to full case. 22-23 hundred 200gr 45s up to 33 hundred 9mm 135gr. Mostly Bayou and Summit city recently. They're usually around 65 pounds.

I'm in a more rural area. Go to the feed store and buy a couple of 50 sacks and the guy comes out with a bag in each hand.

6 hours ago, MHicks said:

I'm in a more rural area. Go to the feed store and buy a couple of 50 sacks and the guy comes out with a bag in each hand.

I take it you treat him with respect? 😁 Like our local fuel oil delivery fellow, he was 60+ and I watched him pick a 30 gallon drum of oil off his truck and set it on our dock!😲

12 minutes ago, Farmer said:

I take it you treat him with respect? 😁 Like our local fuel oil delivery fellow, he was 60+ and I watched him pick a 30 gallon drum of oil off his truck and set it on our dock!😲

Yeah! They just walk out casually, not struggling at all. We've got 3 acres, several goats (2 milkers) and a donkey. I buy hay for them. The bales vary in weight but it's getting harder to get the heavy ones on top now that I'm 71.