Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

are all coated bullets the same? also are there any detriments going coated

There are a variety of coatings and they are not all the same. Some reloaders prefer one over another either by coating or by manufacturer. You might try a search to find what others are using for your gun and barrel. Generally, on this forum you get lots of good advise from experienced reloaders both with regard to loads and any problems that might arise. I've picked up quite a few useful tips. Still, check loads with a manual.

What gun will you reload for?

A gun might "prefer", or "dislike" a bullet for accuracy. I don't see how a coated bullet would be detrimental to longevity.

For myself, I've gone for copper plated bullets. Possibly cleaner to use than coated ones and still less expensive than jacketed bullets.

They are better for the longevity of the gun, and better for your wallet.  The near universal conversion of shooters from jacketed, lead, and plated bullets to coated bullets didn’t happen because they aren’t awesome.

Edited by Dr Mitch

the Hi Tek coated ?  
I have used missouri, Bayou , Penn, SNS,  half a dozen of 1 six of the other, have not noticed any difference in them.

The profile is different between brands. Missouri and bayou are fat and need to be loaded shorter than other brands. Blues are probably the slimmest. Summits are on the slim side. Brass monkey might ship you .365" bullets. 

I shoot 95% coated bullets now. They go faster with less powder, they're cheap, and they're plenty accurate. Not the most accurate, but easily better than nearly any off the shelf ammo. 

10 hours ago, perttime said:

What gun will you reload for?

A gun might "prefer", or "dislike" a bullet for accuracy. I don't see how a coated bullet would be detrimental to longevity.

For myself, I've gone for copper plated bullets. Possibly cleaner to use than coated ones and still less expensive than jacketed bullets.

i guess that was more along the line of what i'm really trying to figure out what are the disadvantage and advantages to coated vs plated

6 hours ago, Farmer said:

You just don’t want to use coated with a ported or comped bbl. You can but it gets ugly. 

that the coating wears off into the port/comp? if so that sounds like a pain to clean.... what about for like my artemis that has the sightblock but the blast chamber type deal in the front of the sight block

1 hour ago, beastmode_05 said:

that the coating wears off into the port/comp? if so that sounds like a pain to clean.... what about for like my artemis that has the sightblock but the blast chamber type deal in the front of the sight block

All I know is if you search on here you’ll find a lot of post complaining about having to clean the Smurf poo out of ports and other coatings too. Apparently it melts and welds itself to the ports. 

10 hours ago, beastmode_05 said:

It will be fine

14 hours ago, beastmode_05 said:

i guess that was more along the line of what i'm really trying to figure out what are the disadvantage and advantages to coated vs plated

All coated bullets smell when fired.  HiTech is the worst.  Coated bullets start life as hard cast lead bullets.  Diameters vary.  Coating thickness varies.  Some brands are infamous for leading the barrel.  They are less accurate than good plated of jacketed.  If you shoot them at steel they break up into larger chunks than plated or jacketed, and they fly father.

Good cast lead/coated bullets are expensive.  Same with plated.  The majority of the makers of really good coated and plated bullets went out of business.  If you are going to be paying 9 or 10 cents each for bullets, why not use all JHPs.  They don't foul comps and poppels.  They don't lead your bore.  They don't smoke.  They don't smell.  They are super accurate.

I buy JHPs in bulk for 9.5 cents each, delivered.  Berry's plated on sale, or inexpensive coated are going to be between 9 and 10 cents after tax and shipping.  Why bother?

I run lead in all my guns except comped ones. Cleaning the comp out is a real pain and is not worth the savings in my opinion. Another thing to consider is the bullet hardness, slow and low use soft lead bnh12 fast and high use hard 18bnh. It's all experimental. 

10 hours ago, zzt said:

All coated bullets smell when fired.  HiTech is the worst.  Coated bullets start life as hard cast lead bullets.  Diameters vary.  Coating thickness varies.  Some brands are infamous for leading the barrel.  They are less accurate than good plated of jacketed.  If you shoot them at steel they break up into larger chunks than plated or jacketed, and they fly father.

Good cast lead/coated bullets are expensive.  Same with plated.  The majority of the makers of really good coated and plated bullets went out of business.  If you are going to be paying 9 or 10 cents each for bullets, why not use all JHPs.  They don't foul comps and poppels.  They don't lead your bore.  They don't smoke.  They don't smell.  They are super accurate.

I buy JHPs in bulk for 9.5 cents each, delivered.  Berry's plated on sale, or inexpensive coated are going to be between 9 and 10 cents after tax and shipping.  Why bother?

this makes a lot of sense for a few pennies it aint worth spending hours fiddling cleaning gunk out. 

10 hours ago, zzt said:

Where are you getting your JHP?

On 4/14/2024 at 12:02 PM, Dr Mitch said:

snip...  The near universal conversion of shooters from jacketed, lead, and plated bullets to coated bullets didn’t happen because they aren’t awesome.

near universal conversion... good to know, thanks.

On 4/14/2024 at 8:55 AM, beastmode_05 said:

if they are detrimental for longevity of the gun and/or accuracy. thanks

Longevity - coated bullets should have far less wear on the barrel than FMJ. However, poorly coated bullets can lead barrel sooner. 

Accuracy - for action pistol not an issue at all. Because a FMJ bullet can be more precisely made they can be slightly more accurate.

If volume is your need, and you don’t have a comp, coated is the way to go.

If you are concerned about the quality of the coating do the hammer smash test. If the coating stays on you’re good to go. 

Most coated bullets these days aren't hard-cast (or not very), which is not a bad thing.  There's no need to be if the coating is any good and they obturate better and are cheaper to make.  Plated bullets used to have a reputation for being inaccurate because they were plated over hard-cast and wouldn't swage to the rifling as well.

Bottom line is if you shoot Open, the vast majority of serious competitors shoot JHP or similar closed-back bullets for the low-gunk and accuracy factors.  Plated and coated are sub-optimal in Open although some people do shoot them.  The barrel is probably going to last maybe 50-70K rounds with jacketed, but that's a tiny cost all-up.   PD JHPs are under $100/K in quantity.

For other divisions, coated works fine and barrels will last nearly forever.  I know a guy that put 180K Precision Bullets coated through his Limited gun on one barrel and it still shoots well.

8 hours ago, Thomas918 said:

Where are you getting your JHP?

Precision Delta.

7 hours ago, shred said:

Most coated bullets these days aren't hard-cast (or not very), which is not a bad thing.

Rogers PC coated bullets are 21 Brinell.  Most are between 15 and 18, still hard.  Even Berry's uses 15 Brinell lead for their plated bullets.

I agree with you on the Precision coated.  Slick and more accurate than most.  I use them in 40 and 45.  Unfortunately, they are gone and I only have 2k left.

19 hours ago, zzt said:

Just curious, why HP? Any advantage over RN?

4 minutes ago, LHshooter said:

I am curious also, but I think it is because of the bullet cup closing the back of the bullet instead of the front. 

11 minutes ago, LHshooter said:

The closed base helps to prevent leading of comp is main reason. The second is consistency of bullet and longer bearing surfaces makes for better accuracy.  

This.  Closed base means less vaporized lead deposits in the comp (and air) and they are generally more accurate-- bearing surface, tail-bias to the weight, care in manufacture, less inconsistency in the core, whatever it takes.

You can get closed-base FMJ designs as well, but the cost is similar.  Some places don't like JHPs though, so you have to use them or other alternatives like MGs IFP.