Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jp5 on the way and it will need a dot. I have a 510 C on my AR and it’s not bad. Was debating on getting the 507 comp. I think the comp may need a riser. Anyone know which one Max Leograndis is running? 
I also have a little vortex venom. I was thinking about throwing on a 45° mount which one of those mounts should I look at?  

19 hours ago, jeremy kemlo said:

Was debating on getting the 507 comp. I think the comp may need a riser.

I have a 507 comp on my PCC now using a Scalarworks Leap/04. It's a very lightweight setup. They currently come in lower 1/3 co-witness  height at 1.57"  or a higher 1.93". They used to make an lower absolute co-witness, which you can still find on the used market. Any Trijicon RMR AR mount will work for your application.

19 hours ago, jeremy kemlo said:

I also have a little vortex venom. I was thinking about throwing on a 45° mount which one of those mounts should I look at?  

As far as a 45° offset amount for your venom, this arisaka mount, using plate one or plate 7, would work. It's spendy.

4 hours ago, Haywizzle said:

I have a 507 comp on my PCC now using a Scalarworks Leap/04. It's a very lightweight setup. They currently come in lower 1/3 co-witness  height at 1.57"  or a higher 1.93". They used to make an lower absolute co-witness, which you can still find on the used market. Any Trijicon RMR AR mount will work for your application.

As far as a 45° offset amount for your venom, this arisaka mount, using plate one or plate 7, would work. It's spendy.

I’m fairly new to PCC. Seems like there’d be some benifit to having the dot close to the bore  for parallax, but a higher riser would definitely feel much more natural. Which one do you think has the biggest advantage? Which riser heights do you like the best? do you know the height of that compares to the 510 C in its stock configuration ?

I bought both 1.57 and 1.93 and the higher mount fit me better. With the 1.57, I had to scrunch up behind the gun or else the dot would be in the upper part of the window. When I mount with a 1.93, the dot is centered every time.

I think you mean higher over bore / mechanical offset instead of parallax which is something different. It's only .36 higher initially, and that shrinks as you approach your zero distance. It's not really noticeable when you're actually shooting. You have to adjust for offset no matter what setup you have so you might as well practice with the one that feels more comfortable for you. 

I run a C-More Rail on all of my PCC rifles. I zero them at 10 yds and remember the hold overs. I use a 12moa dot also. I have an inexpensive red dot on the right side offset mount for the tight shots around a wall. 

2 hours ago, Joe D said:

I run a C-More Rail on all of my PCC rifles. I zero them at 10 yds and remember the hold overs. I use a 12moa dot also. I have an inexpensive red dot on the right side offset mount for the tight shots around a wall. 

Similar to Joe D., I run a C-More railway (6 MOA) on a 1/2" high riser zeroed at 15 yards. Also a Bushnell mini on a 45 degree mount on the right-hand side for those tight shots around walls. The 45 degree mounted optic is also perfect for close up precision shots (head-shots) without having to compensate your hold over. Good luck. 

On 4/3/2024 at 7:32 PM, jeremy kemlo said:

Jp5 on the way and it will need a dot. I have a 510 C on my AR and it’s not bad. Was debating on getting the 507 comp. I think the comp may need a riser. Anyone know which one Max Leograndis is running? 

I run a Vortex UH-1 as the main and a Defender-ST on the 45 degree offset. JP 45 degree mount for the offset dot. 

If you're set on a dot on top instead of a holographic run Double ST's. Very clear glass, large window, solid on both my pistols and PCC's. One of my loaner JP-5's runs the ST on top and it gets bashed around like a rental. Still solid :)

On 4/4/2024 at 8:23 PM, jeremy kemlo said:

I’m fairly new to PCC. Seems like there’d be some benifit to having the dot close to the bore  for parallax, but a higher riser would definitely feel much more natural. Which one do you think has the biggest advantage? Which riser heights do you like the best? do you know the height of that compares to the 510 C in its stock configuration ?

I've tried all three available heights of the leap when setting up an Aimpoint t2 on a different rifle. It's all personal preference on mount height, I personally like the lower 1/3 at 1.57". As @k2pichu mentioned, a lot of fellas like the tall amount as you have a more natural head and neck position. The tall mounts are also popular for people running night vision with devices mounted on their 12:00 handguard they want to look over. Some go as high as 2.2". You just have to know you're offset zero at different distances. A 3-yard target can have a 2-in offset that you will just have to remember. I usually just shoot steel at 12 to 20 yards so my point of aim / point of impact isn't really a big deal.

The Holosun 510C comes on a mount that is set up for absolute co-witness, which would be comparable to the lowest mount you would see on an AR. You can get a Holosun riser / spacer plate to bring it up to about 1.60", which is considered lower 1/3 co-witness. This is how mine is currently set up. There might also be third party mounts, but I have no personal experience with those.

I think the AEMS is it interesting option. The factory mount is a lower 1/3 co-witness. Holosun has the listed today weight at 3.9 oz. My 510C, with the spacer, weighs in at 8.93 oz. It does have a removable shroud, but I prefer to keep it on while on a long gun. 

Compress_20240411_143511_1724.thumb.jpg.73060488ccba5cf8b3846e2532c4920e.jpg

Edited by Haywizzle
7 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

I still like DPPs more.. 

WOW thats a first! i run either SRO or the 507 Comps personally the SRO works better for me because its bigger and thinner(around the outside) any insight on why you like the DPP more?

On 4/5/2024 at 1:41 PM, Mal223 said:

Similar to Joe D., I run a C-More railway (6 MOA) on a 1/2" high riser zeroed at 15 yards. Also a Bushnell mini on a 45 degree mount on the right-hand side for those tight shots around walls. The 45 degree mounted optic is also perfect for close up precision shots (head-shots) without having to compensate your hold over. Good luck. 

Mal, where did you get the 1/2" riser for the C-More.  Their riser is only 0.125"+/-, and I'd like to try a little more height.

I don't remember where I got it but probably on Amazon. I just did a search on Amazon and a whole bunch of different brands popped up. The extra height is quite helpful especially if you ever need to shoot "weak side".

On 4/11/2024 at 11:43 PM, beastmode_05 said:

WOW thats a first! i run either SRO or the 507 Comps personally the SRO works better for me because its bigger and thinner(around the outside) any insight on why you like the DPP more?

I own 9 DPPs. Yes, some have been sent back to Leupold for issues like EVERY red dot. But I’ve never had one die one me while shooting. I’ve never had really any issues with them. Plus back when they originally came out before the market was as big as it is now, they were the only one with the life time warranty on the entire optic. Trijicon/cmore and that’s really it at the time had 5 year warranty on electronics. Sig also has this same warranty. My first DPP from 2017 is still on a gun now and has never been back to Leupold. Still has the original green board. Arguably over 150k rounds on it. On Open guns, slide ride guns, and PCCs. 

1 hour ago, Bdh821 said:

I own 9 DPPs. Yes, some have been sent back to Leupold for issues like EVERY red dot. But I’ve never had one die one me while shooting. I’ve never had really any issues with them. Plus back when they originally came out before the market was as big as it is now, they were the only one with the life time warranty on the entire optic. Trijicon/cmore and that’s really it at the time had 5 year warranty on electronics. Sig also has this same warranty. My first DPP from 2017 is still on a gun now and has never been back to Leupold. Still has the original green board. Arguably over 150k rounds on it. On Open guns, slide ride guns, and PCCs. 

good to know maybe ive been selling them short ill take a second look for sure

• 1 month later...

I run a Holosun 515 on the rail and a 507 offset. I had a 510 on top but when I canted it to use the offset, I saw both dots and it bugged me to no end. Both green dots.

Edited by 71Commander
On 4/4/2024 at 8:24 PM, jeremy kemlo said:

Anyone try the holosun AESM with the riser? How would that compare to the 510 C or 507 comp?

I have both. Prefer the AEMS and have three now on different PCC's and rifles. They have been upgraded with ADM QR mounts. I ordered co-Witness height, as that's my preference. Incidentally I know the AEMS is listed as coming with a lower 1/3 mount, but all three of mine co-wittness with my Magpul BUIS and the original Holosun mount.

FWIW, I like the ole Cmore Slideride. The glass is a large 30mm circle and you can easily swap out dot sizes.  The biggest pro for me is reliability - I have seen every type of micro-dot (Sigs, DPP, Trijicons, Holosuns) go down, to include a relatively SRO that died while dry firing. Trijicon was outstanding as far as the warranty service. 

The only optic that has never gone down is the Slideride. The glass is also very durable and easy to clean between stages.