Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What’s your grip revelation?

Mine was when I tried out the wave grip described by modern samurai (scott Jalinski).  Up-over-through 

It’s like 80-90% support hand doing the work. Leaving your strong hand to relax and work the trigger. 

For me:

You can't stop the gun from recoiling. 

Also there isn't one way to grip a gun. Just like there's not one way to shoot a basketball. No two NBA players have the same shot, not sure why people think things are different with guns. 

Mt revelation was when JM was interviewed and they asked him for tips to help new shooters quickly get to his level.

He replied, "Go shoot 200,000 rounds and come back. I won't have to tell you because you will have figured it out."

Kind of like learning karate from a book.

One: It's not "aim, fire," it's "keep the gun on target while operating the trigger." 

Two: Think of support hand as if you're shooting a rifle - it holds the gun on target, while the dominant hand runs the trigger and provides a disruption. 

22 hours ago, WahrerGriff said:

Oh, another one. This involves red dots. 

I tape off the front of the glass with a flat black hockey tape for dryfire and range. 

trains you to use both eyes and be threat focused. 

Yeah you can find tons of info on that here by searching for "occluded dot"

And cheap blue painters tape works just fine to occlude the dot. 😉 Cheap, easy and will show you if you are target focused.

Grip....as it's been taught for the past 20 years with both thumbs forward and the non dominant rotated down.  The revelation is - having enough grip panel engagement with the heel of the support hand that you can squeeze the fingers of the support hand against the heel and it dosent break down ( move, slip, shift ) as the gun cycles.   

For me, skateboard tape helps everything stay put...YMMV.

My grip revelation came when I stopped trying to get my support hand high like Vogel, and instead worked on getting better contact down the grip with the heal of my support hand slightly behind the grip, like Stoeger. I get better control at speed and fewer uncalled mikes. People frequently compliment me on my grip, saying my gun barely moves in recoil, even with 40 major.   

I've tried a few different techniques based on the guidance from expert shooters, e.g Vogel. I've found that for the support hand, it works consistently across guns if I have a contact point between my index finger knuckle and the bottom of the trigger guard.  From there, I apply 85% of max strength on the support hand.  For my strong hand, I've found that I have the most mobility with my trigger finger if I keep it around 60%.  This is the right balance for me between adding some stability for the gun and having the finger feel 'free'.

Mine has to do more with reloading. I have small/medium sized hands and can never reach mag release with my thumb on pretty much any gun. I used to adjust my grip to press then readjust to shoot again taking quite a bit of time. I discovered it would be much easier to press with my middle finger under the trigger guard. The finger is right there and much easier for me to hit with than my thumb. It's been working well for me since. 

Grip is something that comes from endless practice and I help it along with training my grip in the gym.  Though I usually have to back off the grip training once the livefire starts up in the spring.  My tendonitis just gets bad but not quite as bad as in previous years.   Could be the collagen and MSM supplementation?

It's easier to improve the grip off the gun in order to see the gains on the gun. Rice bucket training 3-4x a week, have it be something to focus on in dryfire, and hope it meshes when the timer beeps. Worrying less about it in matches and more about it in non-livefire training helped me the most.

Stoeger recently released a YT video where he talked about "flipping off" your strong hand middle finger in an effort to relax your strong hand.   At least, that's the way I took it.   

I know I have a terrible tendency to crush with both hands "when I really want to shoot good."  🙄

The technique of "flipping off" is working for me anyway.  

Edited by NETim

11 hours ago, NETim said:

Stoeger recently released a YT video where he talked about "flipping off" your support hand middle finger in an effort to relax your support hand.   At least, that's the way I took it.   

I found the Stoeger video you're referring to and watched it.  I'm not sure why I hadn't watched before as I'm a subscriber to his channel.  Thanks for posting it.

His 'flipping off' technique refers to the strong hand, not the support hand.  It's supposed to keep your strong hand grip from being too heavy.  

Thanks again.

44 minutes ago, BiknSwans said:

I found the Stoeger video you're referring to and watched it.  I'm not sure why I hadn't watched before as I'm a subscriber to his channel.  Thanks for posting it.

His 'flipping off' technique refers to the strong hand, not the support hand.  It's supposed to keep your strong hand grip from being too heavy.  

Thanks again.

Oops!  I got that backwards.   Yep, it's the strong hand "flip off."  :)

When it’s been extended time between the range, I reinforce my mechanics at the range with the DryFire mag pre live fire. Then run my live fire drills. Then re-reinforce it with the dryfire mag after live fire. That way when I dry-fire at home, it translates. 

My grip revelations would be that I do not need to imitate what top shooters do.  I tried the Vogel grip, I’ve tried the front to back pressure, then went back to how I started with gripping all sides of the gun.  Most important thing is to properly grip and crush with support hand and only squeeze strong hand enough so that you can still work the trigger without it affecting the rest of your strong hand.  
Other one is just because you are gripping hard doesn’t mean the entirety of your upper body should be tensed up.  I have a bad habit of tensing my shoulders and rest of my body and I have to keep that in mind or it can come back to haunt me again.  Not as much grip, but related to gripping hard