Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm resize, decap and swage in separate process?

RangerTrace

I had some extra time on my hands this morning and because that WIN NATO brass has been giving me trouble, I decided to resize, decap and swage about 2k cases.  I loaded 100 rounds after to see if there was a noticeable difference in the feel of the press.  There was a definite difference, but I'm not sure it's worth the price of handling them all more than you already do.

29 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I had some extra time on my hands this morning and because that WIN NATO brass has been giving me trouble, I decided to resize, decap and swage about 2k cases.  I loaded 100 rounds after to see if there was a noticeable difference in the feel of the press.  There was a definite difference, but I'm not sure it's worth the price of handling them all more than you already do.

Trace:

Does your brass have specific NATO (Mil) markings, or just the regular WIN on the head?  What press?  Swaging on press or separate?

I ran into a batch of WIN headstamped brass that had under-sized primer POCKETS!  Was driving me crazy on single pass loading on the Apex 10 till I figured out the issue.

My brass is already fully process + roll sized.

🤔

9 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Trace:

Does your brass have specific NATO (Mil) markings, or just the regular WIN on the head?  What press?  Swaging on press or separate?

I ran into a batch of WIN headstamped brass that had under-sized primer POCKETS!  Was driving me crazy on single pass loading on the Apex 10 till I figured out the issue.

My brass is already fully process + roll sized.

🤔

All the ones that give me the most resistance are marked WIN NT 9mm. 

1 minute ago, RangerTrace said:

I thought that meant NATO, but apparently according to a  google search in stands for Non-Toxic lead free primers.

Ran into some Fed NT a few years ago; and after contacting Federal they confirmed it was for the Non-Toxic primers.  Developed, I think, for indoor ranges........

They definitely had crimped pockets....

I have pretty much given up on not processing 9 mm brass before reloading.  It was tolerable when the press was manual, but not that the press is Automated, you pretty much have to use processed brass, or it makes the automation a headache.  After going to Automation, if I have to go back or get a second manual press I would still use process brass moving forward.  I would have never known how much better of a loading session is when the brass is completely processed when  Automated or manual.  

It does seem like more and more 9 mm brass is coming crimped as well.

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have pretty much given up on not processing 9 mm brass before reloading.  It was tolerable when the press was manual, but not that the press is Automated, you pretty much have to use processed brass, or it makes the automation a headache.  After going to Automation, if I have to go back or get a second manual press I would still use process brass moving forward.  I would have never known how much better of a loading session is when the brass is completely processed when  Automated or manual.  

It does seem like more and more 9 mm brass is coming crimped as well.

I'm leaning towards moving in that direction.  I will finish up these last 900 or so and decide.  What's more likely is when I have extra time I will process the brass before reloading.  It certainly does help you keep an eye on just one side of the tool head.

Before I had the RL1100 I was swaging on a Lee APP.  Obviously they needed to be decapped before they could be swaged, so I used a sizing die and lubricated the cases, and they took hardly any more effort than pushing the primers out.  And it was very nice loading sized cases on the 650.

As a side benefit it also is another couple of passes to cull out problems like 380 and 40.  And my brass comes from a place we shoot that used to be a little gravel pit, so there is always some gravel in the brass, and more process and more handling helps there.  I have been thinking about preprocessing lubricated brass when I am caught up, but have had some other projects going and have not been caught up.

I am starting to eyeball the rollsizer for pre processing, since it would be automated.  Would that reduce/eliminate sizing effort as I am inclined to think it would? 

Edited by mmc45414

Great post! I’m interested in automation in the near future- For all of you that have went this route is anyone not (manually) resizing/decapping/swaging range brass in a separate process?

Right now I’m doing everything on a Hornady LnL in one pass and have zero complaints. I’ve made about 30k this summer and only had to lube the press once. It sounds like automation wouldn’t save very much time unless I’m using brand new brass?

3 hours ago, mmc45414 said:

I am starting to eyeball the rollsizer for pre processing, since it would be automated.  Would that reduce/eliminate sizing effort as I am inclined to think it would? 

In my experience, resizing of the brass (9mm, 40, 45, .223 etc) was definitely easier and smoother after rollsizing (commercial Rollsizer). There are even instances wherein I do random checks of  9mm brass after just roll sizing and most, if not all are already resized as confirmed through my Dillon 9mm case gauge. It also allowed me to use torque setting number 2 (lowest setting for pistol) on my MK7 Autodrive. 

In addition to that, I don’t use as much lube as I used to compared to not having it roll sized especially with rifle cases such as .223.

3 hours ago, mmc45414 said:

Possibly.  Depends on the sizing die.  With roll sized brass my Hornady sizing die does additional sizing.

For 9 major I buy fully processed, roll sized, swaged, cleaned and polished once fired, same head stamp brass.

For range pickup brass I use for minor, I give them to a buddy.  He decaps, swages and roll sizes them for me.   Everything sails through the press.

3 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

It sounds like automation wouldn’t save very much time unless I’m using brand new brass?

Yes and no.  I am not sure if the overall process saves time but it removes tons of headaches, in that you will be processing all brass before loading.  Essentially two passes.  Automation works so quick any hiccup is a way bigger deal than using a manual press.  If your press is set up automated properly everything flies by quickly.  Processing, and reloading is a much easier process.  Like most things attention to detail is paramount.  

After loading premed brass manually and automated, I will always used completely prepped brass.  It make for a much better loading experience, manually or automated.  

So Automation makes both processes quick and easy as long as you are detail oriented, but you will be making two passes with the ammo before it's loaded.  

Edited by Boomstick303

I send all of my brass to Todd at A+ Brass (one of this forums great suppliers in classifieds) and when he sends it back it is ready to load.  Todd turns my brass around super fast and his prices (ask him for a quote based on your needs) are amazing IMO.  

So far Todd has processed over 50,000 pieces of brass for me.

I don't bother pre-processing 9 on the Mk7/1050.  Tumble, spritz with One Shot and into the press.  Mk7 screen shows ~170,000 rounds loaded like that. 

For supercomp that I load by hand I have an old pre-Mk7 autodrive size it and that helps the old elbows out.

I went a little crazy this weekend.  Loaded around 2k and processed about the same amount.  The loading sessions convinced me to process first due to the speed/smoothness of the actual reloading process.  I noticed the bolt on the main shaft of the 1050 had worked loose and I started having bullet dropper issues.  Snugged it up and it ran like a whole new machine.  I will keep an eye on that from now on.........

On 11/26/2023 at 7:50 AM, HOGRIDER said:

Ran into some Fed NT a few years ago; and after contacting Federal they confirmed it was for the Non-Toxic primers.  Developed, I think, for indoor ranges........

They definitely had crimped pockets....

I have seen 2 types of Fed NT cases.  Some as you say with crimped pockets. These have normal sized flashholes. I have also seen Fed NT marked cases without a crimped pocket but these have enlarged flashholes. I think Federal (and the others) is still experimenting with non toxic ammunition.

18 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I went a little crazy this weekend.  Loaded around 2k and processed about the same amount.  The loading sessions convinced me to process first due to the speed/smoothness of the actual reloading process.  I noticed the bolt on the main shaft of the 1050 had worked loose and I started having bullet dropper issues.  Snugged it up and it ran like a whole new machine.  I will keep an eye on that from now on.........

Something like this will stop that from happening. - Carrier Cap Retaining System for Super 1050 Presses – Level 10 Innovations L.L.C. (level-10-innovations.myshopify.com) 

I enjoy reloading but  loading gives you pile of happiness when your done and processing is depressing. Its yanking on a handle for hours with the promise of having to do it again to get the ammo out of it. I just got my MK7 so I should be good now.  I only process rifle.

I find reloading to be a necessary evil to get the ammo I want to shoot.  Thus I am lazy and as long as pistol ammo that comes out works properly, makes PF and is more accurate than I am, it's good to go.  Maybe I'd chuck a couple less mangled cases or my ammo might look shinier or I might drop a couple points of SD if I pre-processed, but those area big don't-cares in my book.