Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting off some weight (929)

Squirrel45

After this last year I've lost a bit of muscle everywhere but no longer shake so I'm going back to handguns finally. One thing I noticed is that my 929 feels pretty heavy in my hands compared to my 627 4". I was wondering if anyone has cut the lug off the 929. 

Thanks 

Edited by Squirrel45

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squirrel45 changed the title to Cutting off some weight (929)
8 minutes ago, Alaskan454 said:

You can mill off about 4 oz pretty easily.  I went buck wild and did an ovate barrel on mine.  TK does Colt style cuts to lighten it.  MWP also has carbon barrels.  Lots of options

I apologize what is a ovate barrel ?

11 minutes ago, Squirrel45 said:

I apologize what is a ovate barrel ?

It's more common on custom single actions, but it's probably my favorite barrel profile.  I wanted a challenge for this project, I did it in a manual mill with just a vise and my eyeballs.

P25kuhl_d.webp

12 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

It's more common on custom single actions, but it's probably my favorite barrel profile.  I wanted a challenge for this project, I did it in a manual mill with just a vise and my eyeballs.

P25kuhl_d.webp

Looks really sweet 

4 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

TK offers this style of cut, looks pretty sweet. But the sight claims that it loses only 1.75 oz  and runs $400 plus s/h. 😬

Yikes! Never mind. 

Edited by Farmer

I did mine and you really don’t loose enough weight to make it noticeable…. As mine had a pretty lousy factory crown on it it was an easy decision to make.

User ysrracer shortened his quite a bit more with a new front sight.  Look back at some of his 929 posts..

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/282772-i-gave-my-sw-9mm-929-a-circumcision/

IMG_2205.jpeg

Edited by NoSteel

4 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Iv seen one of these in person very slick looking, just don't know if it's worth the ~$500 price tag for 1.75 oz. One of the guys earlier said removing the lug all together cuts 4oz and must be much less labor intensive. 

Carbon is the way to go! 9oz off the nose…

IMG_7134.thumb.jpeg.11c5446dd5aeae77360da2149026ad5a.jpeg

18 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

Good looking wheelguns!  Who sells those barrels and is the accuracy as good as the factory barrels?  

I do. And yes they are.

Pictured are both an “old style” carbon barrel on a 929 and a “new style” on a 617.

These are actually .355 where the factory guns are all larger.