Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting off some weight (929)

Squirrel45

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, no not really.  Can’t see Smith being that wild.  I did look at a Desert Eagle with that paint job.  Since I like shooters as compared to safe queens I will stay with stainless steel as much as I can.  But if I win the big lottery………

• 2 weeks later...

This is our Classic style sight base. It is 1/4" square x 1.5" long. It is shorter than the Weigand/Bowen base which is 1.75" long. This one has a setscrew in the front rather than a spring loaded plunger in the rear. This design makes it much easier to get the sights in and out, and holds them more securely. The sight base is made of stainless steel. We also make the sights to go on them, but any brand of Classic style sight will fit. The sight base comes with a #6-48 mounting screw. They are $45 + shipping and can be ordered from our website (use the contact form).

sight_bases_small.jpg.e6436e10afee08fccf1d046bf1744a27.jpg

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

This is our Classic style sight base. It is 1/4" square x 1.5" long. It is shorter than the Weigand/Bowen base which is 1.75" long. This one has a setscrew in the front rather than a spring loaded plunger in the rear. This design makes it much easier to get the sights in and out, and holds them more securely. The sight base is made of stainless steel. We also make the sights to go on them, but any brand of Classic style sight will fit. The sight base comes with a #6-48 mounting screw. They are $45 + shipping and can be ordered from our website (use the contact form).

Wow, those look great. Thanks for still making them  👍

On 12/14/2023 at 8:53 AM, Toolguy said:

Send you an email on your contact form yesterday

thanks

woohoo  the sight base is on its way.  I need to trim the 929 and a 648.  I had purchased a

610 way back when S&W mad a small run but it had an 8 3/4 barrel. I was able to cut off

3+ inches and mill off the sight base and reattach it to the 5 inch barrel. With the 929 and

the 648 ( 6 inch ) I am unable to do that. so need to find the sight base to attach. Will have

to remove some of the weight they hang under the barrel to make it a more responsive pistol

1 hour ago, NGlock said:

I had purchased a

610 way back when S&W mad a small run but it had an 8 3/4 barrel. 

When was this purchased and was it made for Lew Horton, Bangers or any of the distributors that have special runs made. To my knowledge and I have known to be wrong Smith never made one with that length and if they were made they would be the holy holy grail. The 5” and 3” demand high prices. Do not confuse the 3” with the 3 7/8”. They bring from $2500 to $3000 and a 8 3/4” would bring “who knows “ By chance do you still have the box it came in. 

it was probably 8 3/8  in long and I beleive it was S&W. they put out a run of 500 or so. This

was the only one I could find with any length barrel. But it was worthless to me with that

long a barrel, so it was trimed to 5 inches.  Here is the stub and you can see where the sight

base was cut off.  It was then cleaned up and screwed and epoxied  on.  Been there for years

shot it in uspsa competition for ever. 

thumbnail (25).jpg