Any love for Sport Pistol powder?

ysrracer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Possibly the best powder made for 9 mm. Clean,

I'm not seeing the clean part, possibly because I only load to about 130 power factor, otherwise I'm happy with it but can't say it does anything for me that titegroup didn't - again at the relatively low power factor and in a semi auto. 

20 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I'm not seeing the clean part, possibly because I only load to about 130 power factor, otherwise I'm happy with it but can't say it does anything for me that titegroup didn't - again at the relatively low power factor and in a semi auto. 

Coated bullets? 

21 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

In my experience, most "clean" powders only burn clean at the upper end of their load range.

Sport Pistol is infinitely cleaner than Titegroup.  The amount of carbon and the type of carbon buildup with Titegroup is horrible compared to Sport Pistol.  The carbon build up with Titegroup is much harder to remove than when I use Sport Pistol.  Essentially I just have to wipe down surfaces with Sport Pistol, which removes over 95% of the carbon deposit where I have go scrub with brushes to remove Titegroup carbon build up.  It seems like the Titegroup permeates in pores of the metal where Sport Pistol does not seem to do.  

This is at any PF from 130 to 150 regarding Sport Pistol. 

Edited by Boomstick303

12 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Sport Pistol is infinitely cleaner than Titegroup.  The amount of carbon and the type of carbon buildup with Titegroup is horrible compared to Sport Pistol.  The carbon build up with Titegroup is much harder to remove than when I use Sport Pistol.  Essentially I just have to wipe down surfaces with Sport Pistol, which removes over 95% of the carbon deposit where I have go scrub with brushes to remove Titegroup carbon build up.  It seems like the Titegroup permeates in pores of the metal where Sport Pistol does not seem to do.  

This has been my experience. This difference is magnified in compensated PCC's.

If you're running really poorly applied HiTek coated, nothing will be clean. If you get the better HiTek applied, you'll notice the difference in Sport Pistol.

11 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

If you get the better HiTek applied, you'll notice the difference in Sport Pistol.

I only shoot JHP from my PCC for lead build up reasons alone.  Even with only JHP bullet use the carbon build up (and type of build up) difference is noticeable between the two.  It is magnified when using coated bullets. 

At least this has been my experience. 

3 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I only shoot JHP from my PCC for lead build up reasons alone.  Even with only JHP bullet use the carbon build up (and type of build up) difference is noticeable between the two.  It is magnified when using coated bullets. 

At least this has been my experience. 

Apologies, I should have asked the HiTek question separately to @IHAVEGAS.

However, back to the Titegroup / Sport Pistol buildup in comps with JHP's, I agree. Titegroup is a particularly foul carbon buildup compared to other powders.

19 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Coated bullets? 

Yes. Bayou and SNS. 

19 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Not my experience after shooting through one or more 8lb jugs of both powders. Don't know how many thousands of rounds that amounts to. 

To be clear, I do think SP is a better powder, it is just that in my particular circumstances (147 grain , 130 pf, semi auto pistols) it doesn't really change anything. If I don't clean my barrels after so many hundreds of rounds I get extraction issues, accuracy is good with either, both meter well, etc. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I called Alliant (cci) yesterday and asked about sport pistol and he told me it is slowly going out and the price will be higher. The plant where they get the nitro from burned down. He said precision reloading has it in stock. Their prices are insane though, f*#king price gouging. 

22 minutes ago, louu said:

I called Alliant (cci) yesterday and asked about sport pistol and he told me it is slowly going out and the price will be higher. The plant where they get the nitro from burned down. He said precision reloading has it in stock. Their prices are insane though, f*#king price gouging. 

Finding Clays powder these days is like finding my first ex-wife working hard at a job, ain't gonna happen :)

I have heard from more than one source that Sport Pistol is the Powder in the Federal Syntech ammo.  It did seem to become much harder to find once Syntech was on the scene.  If that is the case I am sure Federal gets first dibs on any stock out there.  

You can find it, but as @louu noted it is way more expensive now.  Pretty much rivals VV in price from my experience as of late.  

10 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

You can find it, but as @louu noted it is way more expensive now.  Pretty much rivals VV in price from my experience as of late. 

My local store had 75 one pound bottles a few months ago for $26 a pound, and I foolishly only bought four.

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Yes. Bayou and SNS. 

Not my experience after shooting through one or more 8lb jugs of both powders. Don't know how many thousands of rounds that amounts to. 

To be clear, I do think SP is a better powder, it is just that in my particular circumstances (147 grain , 130 pf, semi auto pistols) it doesn't really change anything. If I don't clean my barrels after so many hundreds of rounds I get extraction issues, accuracy is good with either, both meter well, etc. 

The extraction issues are very strange. Running CZ's and GLOCK brand GLOCK pistols and either coated or jacketed I never had significant buildup with SP. Titegroup would be filthy but it wouldn't accumulate so bad that anything malfunctioned. 

3 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

The extraction issues are very strange.

Agreed.  I have used exclusively Sport Pistol in the past and never had any type of malfunctions due to powder build up.  I use mostly Sport Pistol and VV N320 and I find the residue is very similar and I can run thousands of rounds before any sort of cleaning is required. 

While I can run thousands of rounds I typically field strip any firearm between matches for quick inspection, wipe down and lube, but it is not required by any means.

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

I noticed this recently...at this point, I could buy a couple 4lb N320's for the same price as an 8lb of SP.  Realistically they are pretty comparable.  SP probably meters more consistently, but N320 meters well enough and doesn't make any mess on my press while SP seems to build up a light dust over many rounds loaded.

I have about 7.5lb's left of my last Sport Pistol jug to decide which one to continue using I guess ;)

3 hours ago, louu said:

That may be why all of their powders have taken a considerable increase in price. Have also noticed that some of the older Hodgdon powders are crazy $$. Ones like 4895, 4227 ect are darn near $50 per lb. 

1 hour ago, Darqusoull13 said:

The extraction issues are very strange.

Typical for me. With a Springfield xdm 40 and a Benny Hill 40 and completely different loads I have also experienced that extraction is the first problem I run into if I go a long time between cleanings. 

I think in my particular circumstance of relatively heavy bullet & relatively low power factor the build up in the chamber may be a bit faster with SP than with the faster burning TG. I assume the faster/higher peak pressure for same pf powder seals the brass against the chamber a bit better.