Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any love for Sport Pistol powder?

ysrracer

I've been using Sport Pistol for years in my MPX' which seemed to make all of mine run 100%.    I have continued to use SP for my JP5 which I also like.  I'd prob use it for pistols too but I also have a bunch of N320.  I def recommend SP! 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2023 at 5:17 AM, Kilrb said:

Sport Pistol is pretty much all I use,

I'm the OP, and yeah it works well for me. It meters well in my  Dillon, burns clean, and shoots soft.

I'm a fan now.

Have learnt about it on this forum a few years back, and I also think it is much cleaner than TG. Using a paper towel occasionally is more than enough to keep my guns running. Quite a different story with TG, which I used to call Titepoop. 

I still have more than 10lbs in stock, but I dread the day when I will need more.  

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Two months gone by now and my local Sportsman still had that 8#er sitting on the shelf looking sooo lonely so I gave it a new home. 

Yeah, I bought an 8 pounder at Sportsman's Warehouse last week in Phoenix.

It's great stuff. I can get about 18,666 rounds out of it. I'm set for a while.

25 minutes ago, Nile said:

I shoot Action Pistol and this is the powder I use for 9MM. Using 115 grain JHP and 4.2 of SP gives an accurate, soft shooting load.

Thank you for that starting point. I have a pile of 115 plated that I was going to try  SP on. Been using 3.2 e3 with good results too. Super soft and accurate. 

Edited by Farmer

I have been loading Unique since I started loading handgun ammunition. 

Tonight I loaded ten rounds with 3.9 grains of  Sport Pistol and 125 grain S&S casting bullets. 

Looking to make around 130 power factor. 

I will shoot them over the chronograph after church tomorrow. 

Looking for a load with less smoke. 

Edited by Jsjac
Finished my thought

31 minutes ago, Jsjac said:

Tonight I loaded ten rounds with 3.9 grains of  Sport Pistol and 125 grain S&S casting bullets. 

Let us know how it goes.

3 hours ago, Jsjac said:

Should be much cleaner all the way around. 

On 11/12/2023 at 5:35 PM, Jsjac said:

I shot the ten rounds with 3.9 grains of Sport Pistol out of my Sig full size with a 4.7 inch barrel. 

The average speed was  1059 fps. ES of 20 fps. 

About the same smoke as the Unique load I shot after. 

which one was softer? 

9 hours ago, Jsjac said:

I didn't pay attention to that. I will shoot a mixed batch again and see if I can tell if there is a difference between the two. 

I need to do a better comparison between SP and e3. The limited test I did do I still prefer e3. 

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

What do you prefer about it? I've never used it.

E3 was cleaner, softer shooting, (more straight up and down recoil) and more accurate. But it doesn’t meter as well. My preliminary tests were just some loads thrown together,  need to get both of them identical PF for an honest evaluation. I’m thinking that SP may be better with heavier bullets, we’ll see. 

Edited by Farmer

1 hour ago, Farmer said:

E3 was cleaner, softer shooting, (more straight up and down recoil) and more accurate. But it doesn’t meter as well. My preliminary tests were just some loads thrown together,  need to get both of them identical PF for an honest evaluation. I’m thinking that SP may be better with heavier bullets, we’ll see. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Farmer said:

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Searched online for an 8# jug, and the cheapest I could find was $340 plus $50 hazmat & shipping.

Decided to check my local Sportsman's Warehouse, and they had one in stock for $289 so I grabbed it. 💥

Anyone have a load for a Shadow 2 with 147gr FP coated?