Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swapping Atlas slides……?

Daslinger

You should ask Atlas. They are the ones that will or won’t warranty your pistols when you break something.

in general 2011s are not Sigs or Glocks. Everything is custom fit. So it is not drop in or swappable between pistols.

unless you guy a super cheap production grade gun that is loose AF. Even then your playing with 🔥

3 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

in general 2011s are not Sigs or Glocks. Everything is custom fit. So it is not drop in or swappable between pistols.

this is true, but one of the ways modern companies like atlas make money is by machining things more precisely so there is less custom fitting required. it's not that unusual to be able to swap many parts like safeties, triggers, extractors, even grips etc....  Barrel and slide is probably the least likely to swap.

31 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

this is true, but one of the ways modern companies like atlas make money is by machining things more precisely so there is less custom fitting required. it's not that unusual to be able to swap many parts like safeties, triggers, extractors, even grips etc....  Barrel and slide is probably the least likely to swap.

Yes. But do they machine things the same across all their different guns? I don’t know and I doubt it.  I would think there has to still be some fitting involved.

Im just saying he should ask them. Unless there is someone with intimate knowledge of their process here. We are all just guessing.

34 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I definitely didn’t mean to infer that you can’t swap certain small parts. But things that are fitted to the gun would likely be a no-no. Like slide to frame.

1 hour ago, Explosiveo said:

Yes. But do they machine things the same across all their different guns? I don’t know and I doubt it.  I would think there has to still be some fitting involved.

dunno. every other sort of gun can get by without individual fitting, as can much tighter tolerance machines like the pistons and valves in engines. There's no real reason you can't make a 2011 that can just be assembled.... you just have to make the parts so they fit. I suspect that companies that make their own frames and slides are much closer to doing that than companies that buy frames from one guy and slides from another.

In theory, sure.  In reality there's always tool wear and material tolerances and temperature and so on that generally make machining to very fine tolerances more expensive than doing a bit of fitting at the end.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

dunno. every other sort of gun can get by without individual fitting, as can much tighter tolerance machines like the pistons and valves in engines. There's no real reason you can't make a 2011 that can just be assembled.... you just have to make the parts so they fit. I suspect that companies that make their own frames and slides are much closer to doing that than companies that buy frames from one guy and slides from another.

this is m-arms claim to fame with their Kratos (1911-like, not legal in SS) gun. I watched them swap slides and frames on demo guns and the fit was indistinguishable. Their 2011-alike guns are currently being imported, and expect boutique hand fit prices for  essentially the opposite approach. 

gorgeous guns though, with some really smart machining innovations. 

14 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

It's certainly possible.  SV has some of the tightest tolerances, with all factory machined parts.  They love to say they are engineers, not gunsmiths.  MAYBE you could swap slides on theirs.

I know you can order new separate top ends from Infinity after the fact. Don’t know if you’d need to send back the original frame to get it fitted, since if not it sounds like they’d have to believe all the slide/barrels at least have tight enough dimensions to drop onto different bottom ends. 

On 8/29/2023 at 9:50 AM, Daslinger said:

I have an Atlas Artemis and Titan……

I wondering if I could swap the bottoms and tops of the guns like you could with an Sig ?

Are they compatible ? 
Both are RDS.

Has anyone tried this ?

thanks

You have both guns, try it and see. First gently swap the slides see if they'll even start to cycle and move about. If they won't then you know they won't. Try both slides on both guns, one could work on one while the other doesn't work on the other.

If the slides go on and move correctly, put in some dummy rounds and see if they feed. If they feed put in some ammo and shoot that s***. Easiest way to see if it'll work is by trying it. 

Unless there is something way different in the frames and as best as I can tell there is not, if the slides will go on and operate you're not going to break anything trying it.

On 8/31/2023 at 8:36 PM, RJH said:

You have both guns, try it and see. First gently swap the slides see if they'll even start to cycle and move about. If they won't then you know they won't. Try both slides on both guns, one could work on one while the other doesn't work on the other.

If the slides go on and move correctly, put in some dummy rounds and see if they feed. If they feed put in some ammo and shoot that s***. Easiest way to see if it'll work is by trying it. 

Unless there is something way different in the frames and as best as I can tell there is not, if the slides will go on and operate you're not going to break anything trying it.

I was just hoping someone knew for sure. I might be too scared to screwup my expensive guns to try it without someone else telling me it’s ok. Maybe I’ll call Atlas.

On 8/31/2023 at 7:36 PM, RJH said:

In theory you could break a link or shear the barrel lugs if the timing is way off.  That doesn't seem super-likely if both were built by Atlas, but IDK how consistent they are with things like link lengths and slide stop diameters.

It used to be a lot more of a thing so Schuemann made timing test kits because people were breaking his barrels with fits that felt ok when hand cycled.

if you aren't comfortable with it, call Atlas or take it to a gunsmith that knows 1911s.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Daslinger said:

I won’t be the Guinea pig. But if if it was reported that it worked for a BUNCH of people……only then might I try it.

Still a bad idea if you don’t know what your doing or what to check for. Just one guys opinion. 

On 8/29/2023 at 10:50 AM, Daslinger said:

I have an Atlas Artemis and Titan……

I wondering if I could swap the bottoms and tops of the guns like you could with an Sig ?

Are they compatible ? 
Both are RDS.

Has anyone tried this ?

thanks

Not a good idea. Atlas hand fits slides to frames.