Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stay put, Automate or trade for Mark7 reloading. Super 1050

RangerTrace

My current setup is a Super 1050 with bullet feeder.  We all know the loading rate the 1050 is capable of, but I take my time to avoid Kabooms and generally load about 500 rounds an hour from start to finish.  I've reverted to using primers tubes to avoid upside down primers due to current primer costs.  I keep the press loaded with powder/bullets and will do a couple 200-500 round sessions a month to minimize time in the hot garage.  I'd estimate I shoot about 15k a year.  Only counting 9mm since that is the only caliber I reload.  I'm very comfortable with the 1050 and about the only issue I have these days is the occasional primer that doesn't come out during sizing/ decapping.

Considering the above, would it be worth the cost/trouble to automate the 1050, swap out to Mark7 of just keep doing what I know how to do? 

I’ve asked myself the same question as my consumption is about the same. I just can’t justify the expense for the low usage. I’d rather use the cost of press upgrades on more components. 

1 hour ago, Alaskapopo said:

You won’t have KA booms if f your doing your part. That isn’t a press issue rather the operator. 

Never have had one.  Which is why I don't load as fast as my arm can cycle the press.  BUT, I've heard of a whole bunch of other folks who have.  

12 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Never have had one.  Which is why I don't load as fast as my arm can cycle the press.  BUT, I've heard of a whole bunch of other folks who have.  

KA booms happen more by far in single stage presses when people forget if they have dropped powder in the case. It’s not an issue on auto indexing presses some people have motors hooked up to dillons no KA booms 

Edited by Alaskapopo

20 minutes ago, Alaskapopo said:

KA booms happen more by far in single stage presses when people forget if they have dropped powder in the case. It’s not an issue on auto indexing presses some people have motors hooked up to dillons no KA booms 

Now I see where the confusion is coming from.  I meant detonating a primer on the press when something goes wrong.  As in I'm crushing a primer into a case than the primer didn't get decapped.  I do that just about every reloading session and because I go pretty slow, I've never popped one.

Trace, I reload on an old 550...and I CRUSH my primers in. I have never detonated a primer that way, and some of the finished rounds, I have no idea why they didn't detonate (small piece of debris on the primer seat leaving a large indentation on the primer). I'd keep the 1050 and maybe ramp up to 700-800 an hour.

You’re familiar with it and it works, personally I’d just roll with it. Maybe you could speed up some but to me reloading is relaxing and not intended as a race or competition. That’s what the shootin’s for! 😁

Automating my press was one of the best things I ever did. The time savings is substantial if you shoot a lot. 

I started with an automated 1050 and upgraded to an automated apex 10. To be honest it was really more of a sidegrade. I gained a powder check station, but the speed I could load at is pretty much the same. 

Shooting 15k/yr = 1.25hrs at 1000/hr.  Even half of that is 2.5hrs to get your needs complete for the month.  I can't see automating helping that much.  However, if you had some type of injury that prevented you from reloading manually, it would be another story.

2 hours ago, SnipTheDog said:

Shooting 15k/yr = 1.25hrs at 1000/hr.  Even half of that is 2.5hrs to get your needs complete for the month.  I can't see automating helping that much.  However, if you had some type of injury that prevented you from reloading manually, it would be another story.

^^2X

4 hours ago, SnipTheDog said:

I try not to math in public.

But 1.25 X 15 = 18.75 hours at the press per year cranking out rounds.

I am obviously no accountant , but I would have to see price-point-wise where those 3 different reloading setups shake out at.

I tend to agree with most here that at my current rounds per year shot, it's not worth it to automate.  Now, if my kiddo ever gets into the sport, that will give me 2-3 additional weekends to shoot matches and practice.  So the round count would jump up considerably.  That would be a dream come true for me.

9 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

I try not to math in public.

But 1.25 X 15 = 18.75 hours at the press per year cranking out rounds.

I am obviously no accountant , but I would have to see price-point-wise where those 3 different reloading setups shake out at.

Now divide 18.75hrs /12 months = your monthly time pulling the handle.

24 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I tend to agree with most here that at my current rounds per year shot, it's not worth it to automate.  Now, if my kiddo ever gets into the sport, that will give me 2-3 additional weekends to shoot matches and practice.  So the round count would jump up considerably.  That would be a dream come true for me.

Trace, if the kiddo shoots, he also reloads 😉 

Add the time it takes you to prepare cases and handle primers when calculating your hourly rate. Too many people only look at the cyclical rate of the press - it's important, but it also gives misleading picture. 

Automation is fun to the extent you can control and automate the whole process. This includes primer tube/collator handling, controlling spillage, ringers, upside down bullets and alike. The fancy automation setups are amazing and fun regardless of rate, but semi-automated usually just saves you on the handle pull. 

24 minutes ago, IVC said:

Automation is fun to the extent you can control and automate the whole process. This includes primer tube/collator handling, controlling spillage, ringers, upside down bullets and alike. The fancy automation setups are amazing and fun regardless of rate, but semi-automated usually just saves you on the handle pull. 

Once you have the press dialed in, you rarely have to deal with any of that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Now hear this, I would venture to say that every avid reloader has had detonations of primers at some point.  Its part of dealing with primers.  Now, I have an 1100 and switching to MARK 7 was a great decision.  Just gotta make sure the press is on point and properly set up to avoid any hiccups.  I have a ton of videos on this in my channel if you'd like to peruse them.