Thomx

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

I ran Gramms modified Docter scopes on a Tanfoglio Open gun many years ago. If I recall they lasted about 18 months. 

I had a couple of those also. One made it to 30K rounds..

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2023 at 3:27 PM, OpenshooterMclass4lyfe said:

I doubt it. IPSC typically has more sense when making divisions.  

Agreed, especially in the case of the rules of IPSC PDO vs. USPSA CO.

Edited by hlsccsfa

5 hours ago, whan said:

Curious - is 40cal easily accessible ex-US? Interesting choice to do major PF if the popularity of 40 is even lower than in the states

Yes. For competitors that travel around Europe buying factory ammunition is less hassle than flying with it due to the weight limitations.

5 hours ago, Dazhi said:

If major does not make sense, I have faith that IPSC will promptly remove it, just like they did with PDOL.

Agreed; IPSC generally does a better job with existing division rules, it helps that they only change them during World Assemblies (held every three years).

That wasn't always the case, they used to change the rule-book more frequently. Ironically, this was one of the key reasons why USPSA and IPSC  rule-books split off in 1998.

I do wonder if the Major requirements should be changed for Standard Optics. Perhaps set Major at 150PF with a minimum bullet weight of 145grn  and diameter if 9mm. Essentially 9mm +P ammunition.

3 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

[...]

I do wonder if the Major requirements should be changed for Standard Optics. Perhaps set Major at 150PF with a minimum bullet weight of 145grn  and diameter if 9mm. Essentially 9mm +P ammunition.

Can't agree ... We already watered down Major when we dropped it below 175.  Seems like every time someone whines about MAJ/min the chorus either wants to further dilute Major or to simply eliminate it.  I'm not in favor of that.

@terrydoc as per the proposal:

15. A handgun in its ready condition (see Section 8.1), but unloaded and with an empty magazine inserted or empty cylinder closed, must fit within the confines of a box which has internal dimensions of 225 mm x 150 mm x 45 mm (tolerance of +1 mm, -0 mm). Note that all magazines must comply. The box must have a cut out in one side to cater for an optical/electronic sight.

14 hours ago, whan said:

Curious - is 40cal easily accessible ex-US? Interesting choice to do major PF if the popularity of 40 is even lower than in the states

Yes. But. It sems to be somewhat costly, especially compared with 9mm. .40 shooters are almost as eager to pick up brass at the range as .45 shooters. Our local outdoor range rules require cleaning up after a range visit but 9mm brass mainly ends up in the provided bucket.

On 9/19/2023 at 3:43 PM, xrayfk05 said:

@terrydoc as per the proposal:

15. A handgun in its ready condition (see Section 8.1), but unloaded and with an empty magazine inserted or empty cylinder closed, must fit within the confines of a box which has internal dimensions of 225 mm x 150 mm x 45 mm (tolerance of +1 mm, -0 mm). Note that all magazines must comply. The box must have a cut out in one side to cater for an optical/electronic sight.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Proposal for standard optics division was rejected at the GA today in Greece. I suspect it'll re-appear in the future.

Perhaps they are not seeing a decline in Standard that the US is seeing in Limited. That may be in part due to the more restrictive nature of their Production Optics division.

7 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Proposal for standard optics division was rejected at the GA today in Greece. I suspect it'll re-appear in the future.

Thanks for the follow-up.  My source was obviously overconfident in passing this in the general assembly.