IPSC Standard Optics division

Thomx

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only if there were a way to integrate Production Optics into it, without hurting current PO shooters.

I see people searching for the limits of modding their Production and PO pistols, sooo....

Edited by perttime

I think eventually IPSC will introduce a Standard Optics, but I expect it would be Major/Minor. The box would be the same except for a cutout for the optic.

The box limits the size of the magazine, so shooting minor will get you more rounds but at the cost of lower peripheral hits.

But I don't think they will bring it in any time soon, rather the decision would be driven by any reduction in Open and/or Standard participation. 

A large number of IPSC regions can't reload and dislike Major PF (see: 22LR Handgun, Action-Air, etc)

I wouldn't be surprised if they went minor only.  Wouldn't prefer it, but wouldn't be surprised.

There's no doubt that 9mm ammo is far more prevalent than .40 and has more options in terms of velocity and bullet weight.

If they went for a Minor Standard Optics then I think it would ultimately lead to a Minor for Standard and Open too.

7 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

There's no doubt that 9mm ammo is far more prevalent than .40 and has more options in terms of velocity and bullet weight.

If they went for a Minor Standard Optics then I think it would ultimately lead to a Minor for Standard and Open too.

As in, they would do away with major altogether?

3 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

As in, they would do away with major altogether?

Production took about 3 years to really take off in IPSC (similar to USPSA) but when it did, the number of people shooting 9mm went through the roof. I think over the next few years Production optics will start draining more people from Open division. It won't happen quickly but the next time an Open shooters gun needs major maintenance they may look towards a cheaper option that still has a red-dot.

Those in Standard division will one day start looking at a red-dot as their eye-sight deteriorates, they may go for ProdOptics or they may start a push for Standard Optics. And they may push then for a 9mm only division  due to the cost and limited options of .40 ammo.

That will further reduce the number of people shooting Major.

New shooters will gravitate to the red-dot sights as it's a superior sighting system.

So yes, I can see a time when Major gets wiped out, or perhaps they will change the Power Factor criteria:

• Minor = 125PF with minimum bullet weight 113grn (115)
  • Major = 145PF with minimum bullet weight 145grn (147)

IPSC has a structure that doesn't require much in the way of member input to do something if enough RDs, no matter how many shooters they represent, want it. (eg: "Light" divisions)

I think the German RD was pushing that for years in Production as a way to get more people to shoot polymer guns. I think the main reason people shoot CZ and Tanfoglio is that there are more options with guide-rods so its easier to adjust for PF 125-132.

Many of the polymer guns use a captured guide-rod and changing out the spring without modifying the rod can be tricky/impossible on some guns.

If S&W, Glock, Walther, Canik etc. want to get more involvement in the shooting sports then offer an optional guide-rod design that allows for the springs to be changed easily. 

3 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

I think the German RD was pushing that for years in Production as a way to get more people to shoot polymer guns. I think the main reason people shoot CZ and Tanfoglio is that there are more options with guide-rods so its easier to adjust for PF 125-132.

Many of the polymer guns use a captured guide-rod and changing out the spring without modifying the rod can be tricky/impossible on some guns.

If S&W, Glock, Walther, Canik etc. want to get more involvement in the shooting sports then offer an optional guide-rod design that allows for the springs to be changed easily. 

However, changing out springs is allowed now (with some minor caveats) so this is no longer an issue.

• 1 month later...

There will always be open shooters. I know many (inc myself) who have PO guns but still shoot open.  Though I won’t indoors and shoot revolver instead (I’m weird).  Going from a 2011 to a legion is a downgrade no matter how much cheaper you tell yourself it is.

up here standard division is going the way of revo, dying a slow death.

On 6/20/2023 at 10:55 AM, BritinUSA said:

German RD was pushing that for years in Production as a way to get more people to shoot polymer guns. sponsor interest from polymer gun makers.

FIFY.  Turns out many big gun makers do not really care about what IPSC (or USPSA) does or doesn't do.

Somebody will propose it for the next IPSC GA.  What happens after that depends on how well it has been socialized in advance and how many RDs support it.  I would expect the rules to be a little different from USPSA LO, if only because they don't have a 141.25 mm mag gauge.

22 minutes ago, Thomx said:

Yeah it probably would be a standard box with a cutout on top of the box

Question is : would they make it minor only ? I hope so

If they are intelligent they would 

So IIRC we added CO, then IPSC added PO right? Then we added PCC, and IPSC added PCC.

My guess, based on how LO is already doing and knowing there has already been talk of it in IPSC it is very likely they'll add a SO division. I think they're more likely to go with major/minor version. 

3 minutes ago, RJH said:

If they are intelligent they would 

I think there are countries that have bans on 9mm, and probably other legal issues that may lead them to make choices we wouldn't. I talked to my AD about this a few months back and he mentioned something about it and that they seemed to want major/minor and he thought they wanted us to go first to see how it went lol. 

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think there are countries that have bans on 9mm, and probably other legal issues that may lead them to make choices we wouldn't. I talked to my AD about this a few months back and he mentioned something about it and that they seemed to want major/minor and he thought they wanted us to go first to see how it went lol. 

Which were circumvented by chambering guns in 9x21mm

I would like to see minor only for any IPSC Standard Optics

33 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

Which were circumvented by chambering guns in 9x21mm

I would like to see minor only for any IPSC Standard Optics

I don't know much about the worlds gun laws. You should probably contact your countries rep and let him know you're thoughts as I'm sure this is going to come up in the near future.