Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

(My last ever) Western States Revolver Championship

(My last ever) Western States Revolver Championship

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun match with good stages and friendly people, but 14 stages in one day is just too much for me.

Rio Salado in Mesa AZ (just east of Phoenix) always does a good job, but this is where the big dogs come to play.

The single stack guys get two days to shoot it, but for 125 bucks with no lunch and no ROs, I'm out.

The coup de grâce (kill shot) for me was the last stage, stage 4.

I got there at 8:00 that morning, by 1:00pm we weren't even half way done. Some time around 5:00pm we slogged into stage 4. The final stage.

And what greeted us? A God **** 10 foot wall. 

I wasn't going to climb it, because I didn't want to fall back down it. Not to mention, I didn't sign up for a track and field meet, I came to shoot.

I chose to run around it, and shoot from in front of it. I was done, it was a stupid stage.

I finally rolled out of there at 6:00pm. I'll never shoot it again, it's just too much for me.

I went home, had a glass of Ovaltine (Old Bushmills Irish Whiskey) and went to sleep.

When I woke up in the morning, I grabbed my gun one last time, because I wanted to shoot the cat that had **** in my mouth, then I remembered I don't have a cat :)

That's my story, you'll never see me at the Western States Revolver Championship again...

...unless they change it to two days :)

IMG_20230224_172056603_HDR_1.jpg

Edited by ysrracer

Did you just have to shoot from that little wall, or jump over it? Shooting from it looks like it would be kind of fun. I don't know if it'd be fun after shooting 13 other stages the same day, but just in general it looks all right

4 minutes ago, RJH said:

Did you just have to shoot from that little wall, or jump over it? Shooting from it looks like it would be kind of fun. I don't know if it'd be fun after shooting 13 other stages the same day, but just in general it looks all right

Little wall? Ha ha, you funny guy Joe.

oh man!  I keep hearing about the run and gun matches...  

someone finally explained the grip tape and track shoes and knee and elbow protection.

frankly, a football rig seemed like I was imagining extra things into the competition.

can't be that fierce...

miranda

11 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Little wall? Ha ha, you funny guy Joe.

YR:

OK -- so what is the issue with the wall?  As I look at the picture, a fellow latches on to one of the vertical rails for balance and climbs up the steps until he can shoot over the top of the wall.  I imagine a guy leans forward on the slanted wall for stability.

Seems like they put some sort of grip stuff on the steps.  Good idea.

Only thing I see with it is the distance from the last step to the top.   Probably favors guys who are six feet tall more than five seven.

I think I would rather do that one than have to crouch down and shoot under something. 

Anyway, you are the one shooting it and not me and it is a game so no criticism from me.

GG

I always thought about the trick and field props like ysrracer, it's supposed to be a shooting competition.

One day I predict one of those type of stages will get someone killed, then katie bar the door.

I pray not, but?

And for us seasoned competitors, that number of stages are brutal.

But any bets on whether you will remember it the same next year?

humm doesnt seem that long ago, there was much ado about people saying no thanks to putting much time and effort into unsanctioned matches that keep their rule set secret and here we are.
and the OP mentioned "No RO's" ???? So squad had to RO themselves like a local ?  Surely I am misunderstanding. 
If I even got past the secret rule set, I woulda noped right out at the 14 stage thing.

3 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

humm doesnt seem that long ago, there was much ado about people saying no thanks to putting much time and effort into unsanctioned matches that keep their rule set secret and here we are.
and the OP mentioned "No RO's" ???? So squad had to RO themselves like a local ?  Surely I am misunderstanding. 
If I even got past the secret rule set, I woulda noped right out at the 14 stage thing.

Joey baby, please don't bring logic and reason into an internet discussion :)

47 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I shot it last year and it wasn't bad, except for the revolver part. That was stupid and I'll never do it again.

I generally don't mind a long-ish day, but 10 hrs is a bit much. I'm down for 8-9 hours with a short lunch break.

Actually, it isn't stupid! Since most normal people are shooting 8 round minor, it gives you a great look at all the stages to prep for your SS run. In fact, the last time I shot the match, I volunteered to RO my friends revo squad on Friday. They were happy since they only really had to help with scoring. I got to see how ~8 plans worked or didn't work for each stage. I am not sure it helped me all that much but I sure as hell felt ready for the weekend! 😉

14 stages in one day does make for a very long day.

On stage four the wall was easy (and easy to do safely) and fun.

There were no secret rules. It was run under USPSA rules with the exception of additional revolver divisions. All stages including stage four were used in the USPSA sanctioned Western States Single Stack Championship on Saturday and Sunday with no changes.

The squads did RO themselves. This match is a low key addition to WSSSC and has always been run that way. I don't know if it was stated on the Practiscore registration page as it it might be one of those "everybody knows" things that gets left out. I believe that the fact that there was no lunch and that it was one day was on the registration page.

14 stages in one day does make for a very long day.

56 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Actually, it isn't stupid! Since most normal people are shooting 8 round minor, it gives you a great look at all the stages to prep for your SS run.

that was my thought too. Instead, it ruined my ss match by messing up my hands and my grip (probably from never having shot a revolver before, lol). Total disaster, zero stars, would not recommend.

39 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

that was my thought too. Instead, it ruined my ss match by messing up my hands and my grip (probably from never having shot a revolver before, lol). Total disaster, zero stars, would not recommend.

you should try 3 days of revo nationals then 3 days of open nationals, Ill just say it makes for an interesting week

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Actually, it isn't stupid! Since most normal people are shooting 8 round minor, it gives you a great look at all the stages to prep for your SS run. In fact, the last time I shot the match, I volunteered to RO my friends revo squad on Friday. They were happy since they only really had to help with scoring. I got to see how ~8 plans worked or didn't work for each stage. I am not sure it helped me all that much but I sure as hell felt ready for the weekend! 😉

I didn't see your name in the results for this year. Next year?

I would have walked to the sides of the wall ,  wait there was no staff, Organizers wanted squads to Ro them selves but wanted  $125 ?

seems a bit fishy.. Id probably want a good match book ahead of time.

Edited by Joe4d