Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullets - which to buy?

Ontarget

17 hours ago, paltrypoultry said:

I really like them too but not at 14.5 cpr. I figured maybe it was temporary while they worked through some supply chain stuff so I've been working through what I had stockpiled but now I'm gonna have to switch, too.  Sucks.

I know right? That price is almost double of what it was. Other manufacturers are at $0.09 cpr.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot a lot of brands of coated bullets.  Brazos Precision 135gr has been my favorite for the past few years, but they've raised prices, and it looks like I may be going back to Ibejiheads 138gr when I run out of Brazos.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone has their favorites so its really hard to simply say "this is the best one".  What works for one may not work for another.  Personally I have switched over to Everglades ammo.  they are running sales all the time and I find their stuff really great.  Before that I had run PC Bullets (still one of the best poly-coated), Gallant, Brazos, and Precision.

I have shot a couple dozen different manufacturers and styles of 9mm. Started with Almax from (I think) Ohio in the 80s. I used to prefer 135gr Bayou because they were one of the few who made 135 coated and because I really liked dealing with Donnie! 

Now I have a "bullet guy" who makes what I want (now usually 125 RN powder coated pink) and since we shoot together I get them for $50 / K. 

They are pretty much all the same at 135ish PF.

IMHO

37 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

Everyone has their favorites so its really hard to simply say "this is the best one".  What works for one may not work for another. 

Please don't bring logic and reason into an internet discussion :)

42 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Please don't bring logic and reason into an internet discussion :)

gotto go find it...

read what the author meant

read into it what you want

and tease the author when you can't do either.

ETA... found near the bottom

... https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/52638-myself/page/2/

logic does not apply to human communication.

hear what they mean or hear what you want,

and tease the author when you can't do either.

onto bullets... 

If price is not a big consideration

buy MG.  they are pretty if nothing else.

ETA The hollow points seem pretty accurate for me.

If low price is a driver, look into 6 hole lee bullet molds.

this option will require some effort to learn

to make good bullets for your firearm.

miranda

Edited by Miranda
edits marked with ETA

21 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

So far I've tried acme and blue. Acme seem to have a tougher coating. Both grouped well. I just ordered more acme. 

I’m starting to find a glitch with the blue’s. My bbl’s seem to prefer .356 and their std order is .355 with a .356 special order. They are really hard cast too (18-20 BHN) and I think this may be also part of the problem with light loads. They size 357’s at .358 and they work ok but I don’t know why they  are at .355 and sometimes under with 9mm. I haven’t tried steaming them up to see if that improves accuracy but that sort of defeats the purpose. 

Edited by Farmer

Hi Farmer,

is steaming them up a special process?

like steaming clams and crabs?

or shooting them faster?

I have tested harder and faster...

this has not lost accuracy for me.

buuuuut I did that after I decided to move to .357 bullets.

so it may not be the answer you seek.

miranda

1 hour ago, Philip Dedmon said:

Precision Delta 124 JHP's is all I shoot. Very good bullet.

Remember,,,,, it only cost a little more to go first class!

I’ve been shooting a few of their 124’s, and I like them.   Still working on different powders for best accuracy.  

On 3/20/2023 at 10:02 PM, 21 shooter said:

I’ve been shooting a few of their 124’s, and I like them.   Still working on different powders for best accuracy.  

Which powder is winning the accuracy testing as of now?

Have you tried Shooters World Clean Shot?

I'm definitely suffering from analysis paralysis since I've gotten into reloading. I've shot 115's, 135's, and 147's. At competition distances I haven't found a combo that ISN'T accurate. I want to try Sport Pistol as TiteGroup seems to smoke quite a bit. I just can't decide on a weight. I've also tried both .355's and .356's and don't notice much of a difference in accuracy. What I did notice is the Hornady PTX is a little more of a pain to get enough bell as to not remove coating from Acme's with .356's.

In shooting pin matches I won the last one I entered shooting 115's and I felt the quick follow-ups were very beneficial. All the USPSA matches I've shot have been with 135's and I don't feel like the follow-ups are slow either though. I think I'll place a large order for 135's. 

oh the horror! 

A pistol that is accurate with everything!

ok.  As a challenge goes... there are combos

that are thought to be problematic.

my most disliked combo was clays under 115 plated bullets.

To attempt a say this in forward...

You now get to decide what combo you like

without concern for what the pistol likes.

After a bit you will come to know what you prefer.

I like shooting 147Gn bullets.  in my case...

the pistol and I together are closer to centers

blasting out 124Gn bullets, so that is what I shoot.

Some of this may well be a lack of being able to try the same

ideas with a 147 that I was able to trial with the 125s.

I have not found a 147-ish bullet mold to try.

It is hard to imagine that a hollow point 147 would want for accuracy.

:--D  'tis good to stay busy and searching for better.

miranda

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

I'm definitely suffering from analysis paralysis since I've gotten into reloading.

Just choose one and run with it.  I did the same thing when I started when I should have been practicing more.  Chasing stuff in regards to reloading for USPSA/IDPA is a waste of time.  Find an accurate load that you can shoot well and go with it.  One thing I make sure of is to make sure my PF is over 130 if you intend to travel.  I actually like closer to 135 because I  liked the way it ran in P320s and I did not have to worry about making chrono when traveling.  

Lots of people shoot 135 gr, and Sport Pistol is amazing.  A lot less smoke with coated bullets and it is way cleaner than Tite Group.

19 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Just choose one and run with it.  I did the same thing when I started when I should have been practicing more.  Chasing stuff in regards to reloading for USPSA/IDPA is a waste of time.  Find an accurate load that you can shoot well and go with it.  One thing I make sure of is to make sure my PF is over 130 if you intend to travel.  I actually like closer to 135 because I  liked the way it ran in P320s and I did not have to worry about making chrono when traveling.  

Lots of people shoot 135 gr, and Sport Pistol is amazing.  A lot less smoke with coated bullets and it is way cleaner than Tite Group.

Yea that definitely makes sense! Any idea where to pick up sport pistol or N320 locally? I searched most of the retailers around here that have a website and came up empty. Borrowing a labradar from a buddy this week so I'm trying to come up with something I like to stick with. 

7 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

I searched most of the retailers around here that have a website and came up empty.

Its rough for those powders locally.  Scheels in the Springs had N320 for about a month, a year a go and I have not seen it sense.  I have never seen Sport Pistol Locally.  When you see it buy as much as you can afford.  Word on the street is that Federal is using Sport Pistol for their Syntech line so it has become way harder to find once Federal launched that ammo line.   I have seen Sport Pistol most frequently on Powder Valley, but you have to check constantly to see when they get it in and there is a limit on how much you can buy.

Good luck in your search.

4 hours ago, ysrracer said:

These days, when you see powder or primers that you use, buy it.

Yeah, my priority is primers.  If you have primers you can find some kind of powder.  If you have powder and primers, you can find some kind of bullets.  And no HazMat on bullets, so you can buy them as needed in smaller quantities. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2023 at 9:48 AM, RangerTrace said:

RMR - Rocky Mountain Reloading is the least expensive jacketed I can find consistently.   I don't like coated because they drop inconsistently in my bullet feeder.  

True about bullet feeders.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:01 AM, Philip Dedmon said:

Which powder is winning the accuracy testing as of now?

Have you tried Shooters World Clean Shot?

Not sure which pistol your using; however after talking with KKM regarding their match barrel in my P320 MAX, they highly recommended N330.  That was OK since my powder of choice has been N320 for many, many years.

About the best I could get out of the MAX in the Ransom Rest using PD V1 JHPs........

R347.png