Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordered my Rival-S have you?

TheChef1

Does anyone have experience running a lighter recoil spring in their Rival (S)? I put a 13 lb recoil spring in the Rival S and it ran but it did not help with recoil. I was using 100 gr 9mm. I wanted to test out the Rival S with a lighter recoil spring. The stock recoil spring with the 100 gr ammo causes stove pipes. I will try a 17lb and 15 lb next.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Canik used to send free a lighter blue tipped captured recoil for less than nato power ammo, then they  started selling them BUT then they sent 2 free after I bought 2... go figure... I just said I was having issues with not going back into battery. My S ran right out of the box WITH 130  PF RELOADS x 125 blue bullets x titegroup (Shh, don't say "reloads). OAL is fussy depending on the bullet... That was not with full mags, so???. I have the uncaptured springs & recoil rod for a spare. Mike

WildPete,

I have tried all the way down to 12lbs and worked my way back to the 15lbs spring on a W74 guide rod.  I believe every gun is going to behave a little different so the range between 14-18lbs is going to be a sweet spot.  My 114-133PF ammo runs with the 15lbs spring in my S.  I bought the 12-18lbs springs from Wolff.  Cheap $ for spring tests!

I like the recoil spring test Atlas does for tuning a 2011.  My recipe is best splits grouping (6 rounds - 3 splits at 21') wins the spring test with the preferred ammo for the barrel.  I ran weak 115g tuned for my PCC thru Syntech 150g.  My barrel preferred a 124/125g round nose.  The S ran smoother with plated/FMJ (124) versus coated bullets (125).  I started with the 14 spring, worked up 1lbs to the 18, and came back to shoot the 15 again.  IMHO, it is worth the time performing this test for your gun.  124/125g power factor was 130-131.  For me, the best 124g was Freedom Munitions New and 125g coated was NC Shooters Blue bullet.

I run factory ammo, not personal reloads.  I'm sure the reloaders will have more fun!!

3 hours ago, WxGuy said:

WildPete,

I have tried all the way down to 12lbs and worked my way back to the 15lbs spring on a W74 guide rod.  I believe every gun is going to behave a little different so the range between 14-18lbs is going to be a sweet spot.  My 114-133PF ammo runs with the 15lbs spring in my S.  I bought the 12-18lbs springs from Wolff.  Cheap $ for spring tests!

I like the recoil spring test Atlas does for tuning a 2011.  My recipe is best splits grouping (6 rounds - 3 splits at 21') wins the spring test with the preferred ammo for the barrel.  I ran weak 115g tuned for my PCC thru Syntech 150g.  My barrel preferred a 124/125g round nose.  The S ran smoother with plated/FMJ (124) versus coated bullets (125).  I started with the 14 spring, worked up 1lbs to the 18, and came back to shoot the 15 again.  IMHO, it is worth the time performing this test for your gun.  124/125g power factor was 130-131.  For me, the best 124g was Freedom Munitions New and 125g coated was NC Shooters Blue bullet.

I run factory ammo, not personal reloads.  I'm sure the reloaders will have more fun!!

Thanks for that info. I'll be trying that test today. I don't have a chrono but going off PNR's website their steel challenge round is 100 gr RN at 1100 FPS out of a 4" barrel, netting 110 power factor.  I have the Galloway Precision guide rod using ISMI recoil springs. I didn't think of using wolf springs as the rod/spring was a package deal.

If anyone is wondering I didn't change striker springs with the 13lb recoil spring. The slide cycled fine.

Their up in the sky, chrome are hard to find if at all... The prices are up above MRLP . Have not seen one red dot one for sale.... Sooner or later? the price should level off, BUT,BUT...

On 3/28/2023 at 9:21 AM, WildPete said:

Thanks for that info. I'll be trying that test today. I don't have a chrono but going off PNR's website their steel challenge round is 100 gr RN at 1100 FPS out of a 4" barrel, netting 110 power factor.  I have the Galloway Precision guide rod using ISMI recoil springs. I didn't think of using wolf springs as the rod/spring was a package deal.

If anyone is wondering I didn't change striker springs with the 13lb recoil spring. The slide cycled fine.

with that GP captured set up wouldn’t an ismi springs for glock work?

29 minutes ago, jpharr said:

with that GP captured set up wouldn’t an ismi springs for Glock work?

Yes, that's the spring I'm using.

Didn't get a chance to test out the other springs yet. Been practicing for falling steel.

On 3/27/2023 at 7:44 PM, WxGuy said:

I have both.  I give the Canik S the nod with the same trigger pull every time.   Price is less and more bang for the buck than the CZ.  I have been a CZ guy for a long time and the Canik Rival S has completely changed my mind.  Lok grips will complete the package. 

I’m with you man. I got a S2 when they first game out and had a SP01 before that. The canik is just better to me in almost every way. Consistent trigger, bigger magwell, infinitely better slide serrations making any kind or unloaded starts so much easier, cheaper, easier to work on and give you way more useful goodies in the box. The only thing I can say the S2 may excell in is slightly softer recoil. 

On 3/27/2023 at 9:26 PM, WildPete said:

Does anyone have experience running a lighter recoil spring in their Rival (S)? I put a 13 lb recoil spring in the Rival S and it ran but it did not help with recoil. I was using 100 gr 9mm. I wanted to test out the Rival S with a lighter recoil spring. The stock recoil spring with the 100 gr ammo causes stove pipes. I will try a 17lb and 15 lb next.

I run 15. 14 is ok too but 13 is not reliable. 

1 hour ago, mrvip27 said:

not for $1200...no thanks! Ill wait.

for real, don’t support price gouging!

On 4/4/2023 at 1:01 PM, Ontarget said:

I noticed today more Rival-S guns are available on Gunbroker.

Prices are still high, but greater availability.

I hope that means $900-$950 Rival's are not far off.

I bought a Darkside off Gunbroker for $860 by checking every day for one up for sale as a "buy it now". I'm sure some dealers don't quite understand the demand for this gun yet. 

Edited by telligentgunner

On 4/6/2023 at 10:27 AM, GJM said:

The Rival feels so much better than a Walther in the beaver tail area. This picture shows the difference in design.

E2032184-9679-4BDC-A491-D55D9FD14756.jpeg

I bought a PDP and rival at about  the same time. I never ended up even shooting the PDP. I jut didnt see a reason too. The Rival felt so much better and offered so much more I just made my choice without shooting them.

On 4/7/2023 at 12:19 PM, WildPete said:

Exile Armory had the Darside Rival S for $785. It's probably gone, Subscribe to their YouTube account so you can see when a video drops.

thats an insane price.

1 hour ago, TheChef1 said:

Nice find I think you will like it.

Just left the range and yes I like it a lot. Need to change the trigger and recoil spring and find a good holster. 

For the trigger I recommend the springco competition spring kit and a 6lb glock striker spring. Add a freedomsmith shoe and thats the best striker  trigger you're going to find anywhere. Recoil spring you can get either a w74 tungsten rob and commander length 1911 springs or a glock 34 SS setup from wolf. I played around with a few weights but settle on 15lb. Holster GX vice if you you want to wait 6 months or smokey mountain concealment for a quick turnaround. I ordered my GX in november and still dont have it. Got a smokey in about a week custom made. I got mine for the poly rival and had to file some to get it to fit but word on the street is he  has a  steel mold now. 

43 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

For the trigger I recommend the springco competition spring kit and a 6lb glock striker spring. Add a freedomsmith shoe and thats the best striker  trigger you're going to find anywhere. Recoil spring you can get either a w74 tungsten rob and commander length 1911 springs or a glock 34 SS setup from wolf. I played around with a few weights but settle on 15lb. Holster GX vice if you you want to wait 6 months or smokey mountain concealment for a quick turnaround. I ordered my GX in november and still dont have it. Got a smokey in about a week custom made. I got mine for the poly rival and had to file some to get it to fit but word on the street is he  has a  steel mold now. 

Already have a 6lb glock striker spring. (Have 2 SFX's set up for Carry Optics with all the mods). I put a SS guide rod and a 15# commander spring at functioned but needed the lighter striker spring. With the SS guide rod I had a problem getting the slide to move forward. I finally got it apart but don't know what the interference was. I run Sig 320 guide rods in my other Caniks with no problem.