Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordered my Rival-S have you?

TheChef1

On 1/28/2023 at 7:41 AM, WxGuy said:

Maybe he will accommodate you with a special request at a later time once production gets going.  I would prefer the palm swell on the right and flat on the left myself for a right hand shooter.

Could be wrong, but it looked like the swappable grips are one wrap around peice. I don't think you'd be able to mix and match.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, WildPete said:

I didn't realize they were out already. I was at Range USA on Thursday and saw the chrome/polish Rival S sitting in the display case. Asked to look at it and thought it felt way better than the regular Rival. Went and picked it up on Friday. I couldn't pass up the chrome/polish version. Looked so good sitting among the other mean black pistols. Put 33 rounds down range with it and I like it. The fiber rod fell out but no biggie as swapped red dots from my Rival Darkside. If I was smart I should have brought the Darkside upper with me and swapped them at the range just to test out.

I did have an issue installing the medium grips. Took some pressure from a hand vise grip to get the screw holes to align. I couldn't see what was keeping the grips from sliding all the way flush into the frame. 

325398053_726600285516300_4772647008755644156_n.jpg

Thanks for the update. Your local store got them quick! I think you’re one of the first non media member ti get one in your hands. How was the recoil impulse compared to the Darkside?

that’s kind of weird about the grip panel I wonder if the plastic wasn’t molded correctly?

1 hour ago, lroy said:

Could be wrong, but it looked like the swappable grips are one wrap around peice. I don't think you'd be able to mix and match.

If they are anything like what they did for the Walther Q5 they will be 2 piece. 

1 hour ago, TheChef1 said:

Thanks for the update. Your local store got them quick! I think you’re one of the first non media member ti get one in your hands. How was the recoil impulse compared to the Darkside?

that’s kind of weird about the grip panel I wonder if the plastic wasn’t molded correctly?

The recoil impulse is clearly in favor of the Rival S. I was shooting 124 gr Blazer brass. I always felt the Rival was snappy. I liked the recoil impulse on the Rival S as I do like heavier guns like my TSO, Czechmate, A01-LD (gone), and CZ 75 Bull Shadow. 

There were 2 plastic thin flappy tabs on the inside of the grip that was sticking out. It looked like where the grips were molded and removed at those two points. I smoothed those bits out and still had issues. Luckily the rubber vise grips helped me push them far enough forward to get the grip screw inserted. 

3 hours ago, WildPete said:

The recoil impulse is clearly in favor of the Rival S. I was shooting 124 gr Blazer brass. I always felt the Rival was snappy. I liked the recoil impulse on the Rival S as I do like heavier guns like my TSO, Czechmate, A01-LD (gone), and CZ 75 Bull Shadow. 

There were 2 plastic thin flappy tabs on the inside of the grip that was sticking out. It looked like where the grips were molded and removed at those two points. I smoothed those bits out and still had issues. Luckily the rubber vise grips helped me push them far enough forward to get the grip screw inserted. 

Interesting. I’ll see if I have the same issue with mine. Although I’ve been using medium back straps lately when I used to always use large. 

On 1/27/2023 at 8:14 PM, bigtimelarry said:

How is it going to be Nose Heavy when the Base just added 12 ounces ?  Asking for a friend..

Great question. Gun would be front heavy or nose heavy if the weight on the new frame is distributed more in the front of the gun than the rear. Think of the dividing line where your knuckle from your strong hand hits underneath the trigger guard. Rumor has it, the new steel frame is a bit more nose heavy than the plastic frame from the folks I have spoken to.

19 hours ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

Great question. Gun would be front heavy or nose heavy if the weight on the new frame is distributed more in the front of the gun than the rear. Think of the dividing line where your knuckle from your strong hand hits underneath the trigger guard. Rumor has it, the new steel frame is a bit more nose heavy than the plastic frame from the folks I have spoken to.

Is yours showing that it actually shipped yet or just label created?

9 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

Is yours showing that it actually shipped yet or just label created?

Label created. Called them today and was told it should ship out today. Said pickup doesn’t come on Friday. We should have them Wednesday is what they were saying.

picked mine up from local RangeUSA today also. They mentioned they had gotten a few direct from Century, not from distributor. Maybe that's why them and Classic
Firearms are the only ones I've seen with stock. RangeUSA has both varieties in.  Recoil spring on these guys is stout. I don't remember my polymer Rival being this oversprung. I'll move over optic and guiderod/spring and install large grip panels,  and give it a run here in the next few days. Fit and finish is very good.

Edited by OptimiStick

Just picked mine up. Unfortunately had to go straight to work afterwards so I didn’t get to play with it much. I might shoot it stock tomorrow just because or I might add my parts before I shoot it I haven’t decided yet. 

I will say the stock trigger is really good. Much better than my two polymer ones. I already have a freedomsmith for it so I’m going to put it in but if I didn’t already have it I maybe would just do springs. 

here’s some pictures and a video of the trigger. https://imgur.com/a/E7jaaQp

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

Can anybody provide a no-BS weight for the gun with a magazine inserted?  Wondering if it will be IDPA legal.  The website says 42.7, but not sure if this includes a mag.  

I can weigh mine tonight when I get home for you. 

1 hour ago, TheChef1 said:

I will say the stock trigger is really good. Much better than my two polymer ones. I already have a freedomsmith for it so I’m going to put it in but if I didn’t already have it I maybe would just do springs. 

Interesting. My trigger on the S isn't as good as my polymer one. Feels a little longer and less crisp break.  I did order a Freedomsmith trigger - I've not had one before. I ordered the sport trigger.  What springs did you change?  I need to either move over my w74 tungsten guiderod for find a lighter captured/factory version. Recoil spring feels stout.

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

What are the five optic plates included?  I assume RMR/SRO, DPP, what else?

R01 - M02 Vortex / Viper

R02 - RMR/SRO

R03 - CMore STS-2  *sold separately 

RO4 - DPP

R05 Aimpoint Acro *sold separately 

RO6 Romeo3 Max and CMore RTS-2

R04c - Romeo0, Vector (shield rms)

Went and zeroed my red dot on my Rival S. Shooting from a rest with slow deliberate press I had to manually reset the trigger. Never had this happen on a pistol before when zeroing. I was zeroing Federal 150 gr Syntech ammo at 25 yards. Regular trigger presses showed no ill effects. 

I ordered my Steel Dark Side from CF this afternoon.  Looking forward to hearing what y'all think of the stock RSA.  I've had issues running 150g Syntech in my SFX barrel.  Switched to a 124/125g RN bullet and had best results at approx 131-133 PF factory ammo.  I have the W74 rod/1911 Commander 14lbs spring in the SFX.

11 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

Interesting. My trigger on the S isn't as good as my polymer one. Feels a little longer and less crisp break.  I did order a Freedomsmith trigger - I've not had one before. I ordered the sport trigger.  What springs did you change?  I need to either move over my w74 tungsten guiderod for find a lighter captured/factory version. Recoil spring feels stout.

Someone else said that their S was not as good as their polymer also. Both of my polymer triggers were not great. Long gritty pretravel with a really bad false wall. This one is still not super smooth but no false wall. 

I have the springco competition spring kit and Glock 6 pound striker springs here already. The springs should help a lot but I’ll still add the freedomsmith it’s just too good. 

I’ve got a few guide rods here already I’m going to try. I don’t want to transfer over my tungsten I don’t think because the weight is good as is IMO. But I agree the spring is definitely too stiff. 

10 hours ago, WildPete said:

Went and zeroed my red dot on my Rival S. Shooting from a rest with slow deliberate press I had to manually reset the trigger. Never had this happen on a pistol before when zeroing. I was zeroing Federal 150 gr Syntech ammo at 25 yards. Regular trigger presses showed no ill effects. 

Did you by chance have the mag resting on something? I had issues one time when zeroing but realized my mag was being forced into the gun from my sand bag. 

Anyone else try it in their standard rival holster yet? I didn’t have much time to look at why but it doesn’t fit my Smokey mountain concealment holster. Click the link to want a video of how it fits. I have both retention screws back all the way out. My standard rival is super loose and goes in and out with zero retention. The steel has to be forced in and out and won’t come out smoothly to draw. This is a MASSIVE oversight on caniks end IMO. Why would you make it so close but not be able to fit the holsters people already have?!

https://imgur.com/a/4t9BADU

hopefully I can make some small adjustments with the Dremel and it will still hold the plastic gun. I’ll have to look more closely on where it’s getting hung up. I thought initially it would be the new screw in memory pads on the frame but I looked and those were not making contact with the holster when it was starting to get hung up.