Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Primer Stuck in Pick Up Tube

1 hour ago, Smitty79 said:

Really stuck.   I tried pushing through with primer rod.    No go.   It’s about a once for one end with the priming compound facing the short end. 

If it’s Dillon they will replace it. Just call them.

@Smitty79Soak it in tepid water, 75-80 degrees or so for about a half hr. Should kill the primer and help lube or rinse out what may be hanging it up. Try carefully removing it again keeping it wet. Wear all safety equipment too. 

Edited by Farmer

On 12/26/2022 at 8:54 AM, Guy Neill said:

Water will not "kill" a primer.  It will make it harder to detonate, but a heavy enough blow could be a problem.

You are correct sir, I did a little test where I soaked a primer (CCI LP) in water and another one in PB Blaster penetrating oil. After 30 min I fired them in an empty case. The water soaked one fired with a bit less power and report than a standard primer. The oil soaked one had significantly less power, just a pffft. Neither one was “dead” but the oil soaked one was substantially weaker. 

13 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Hammer it out, have someone take video?

(Just kidding, DO NOT hammer it out)

you will get us ALL in trouble!  (I was laughing but... shootin is serious!)

I have read a lot of thoughts on the mater.

acetone and vinegar seems a good idea... the acetone thins the varnish and vinegar

turns the lead it finds into lead acetate...

the wd40 is a good idea as most people do not have acetone.

mirands

Wow!  Seriously, if it's just one primer, it's not exactly a live hand grenade.  A tube full of primers is a different matter, but for just one primer, and you want to save the tube.  Just gently clamp the opposite end of the tube in a vise so the other end is pointed in a safe direction and gently heat the primer end of the tube with a propane torch.  It'll pop so you may want to wear ear pro and eye pro, but unless you melt the tube with the torch, the tube will be fine to use after it cools down.

Now to wait for internet to explode.

I've removed stuck primers this way several times.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

9 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Me personally, I'd soak it and smack it.

OP, you should contact Dillon and do what they say. They are the experts.

I know I know,, they tell you throw it away replacement is on the way .

20 hours ago, Miranda said:

you will get us ALL in trouble!  (I was laughing but... shootin is serious!)

I have read a lot of thoughts on the mater.

acetone and vinegar seems a good idea... the acetone thins the varnish and vinegar

turns the lead it finds into lead acetate...

the wd40 is a good idea as most people do not have acetone.

mirands

Look under your sink or in a drawer,,, Your wife probably has some..
Acetone/aka fingernail polish remover.

If you think about it what’s the difference between using a flat rod that just fits into the tube to push it out VS the primer seating punch or rounds loaded in a tube magazine? I’ll test the acetone on a couple and let you know what happens. 

YEF6B2EB3-977C-42C9-B0CE-F8E7CAE7C1F5.thumb.jpeg.bc53293fa8127a0e73186f39c4f9e691.jpegOk, All large pistol, one each of CCI, WW and Fed Gold Medal. Soaked them for over an hour in 3m HP brake cleaner which is basically hexane, methyl alcohol, xylene ect.  The CCI and the WW popped but were weaker than when I tried the penetrating oil. The Fed was a total no go even after several strikes. When I de-capped the Federal you could see the primer mix fall out. The other two were weakened so much I don’t believe they would do much if any damage, sounded less than a cap gun. These are my findings, use the information at your own risk. 

Edited by Farmer

On 12/29/2022 at 5:02 PM, Nolan said:

Wow!  Seriously, if it's just one primer, it's not exactly a live hand grenade.  A tube full of primers is a different matter, but for just one primer, and you want to save the tube.  Just gently clamp the opposite end of the tube in a vise so the other end is pointed in a safe direction and gently heat the primer end of the tube with a propane torch.  It'll pop so you may want to wear ear pro and eye pro, but unless you melt the tube with the torch, the tube will be fine to use after it cools down.

Now to wait for internet to explode.

I've removed stuck primers this way several times.

Nolan 

I agree.  And like you said, a full tube of primers is a different matter; a very good friend of mine is missing about half of his little finger. 

Edited by varminter22

On 12/29/2022 at 8:02 PM, Nolan said:

Wow!  Seriously, if it's just one primer, it's not exactly a live hand grenade.  A tube full of primers is a different matter, but for just one primer, and you want to save the tube. 

one primer...tap the thing out and move on. Like Nolan said...one primer isnt a grenade. But then again I don't wear gloves, face shield or hearing protection when I load either.

On 12/30/2022 at 8:33 PM, Farmer said:

YEF6B2EB3-977C-42C9-B0CE-F8E7CAE7C1F5.thumb.jpeg.bc53293fa8127a0e73186f39c4f9e691.jpegOk, All large pistol, one each of CCI, WW and Fed Gold Medal. Soaked them for over an hour in 3m HP brake cleaner which is basically hexane, methyl alcohol, xylene ect.  The CCI and the WW popped but were weaker than when I tried the penetrating oil. The Fed was a total no go even after several strikes. When I de-capped the Federal you could see the primer mix fall out. The other two were weakened so much I don’t believe they would do much if any damage, sounded less than a cap gun. These are my findings, use the information at your own risk. 

darned good to know.

10 hours ago, vegaspete61 said:

one primer...tap the thing out and move on. Like Nolan said...one primer isnt a grenade. But then again I don't wear gloves, face shield or hearing protection when I load either.

dont the same,, as mentioned a couple times,, recently got a bad batch of winchester and this was happening to me , no soak,, just poured out the good primers from each end,, then wacked it out. No detonation.. Guess it depends on how stuck they were.