627 Problems

gargoil66

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like I'm late to the party again.  But let me tell you what I discovered on my 929 a few weeks ago.

One of the hammer pins was creeping out and was starting to drag on the side plate.  So I would get an unusual drag in mid stroke of the trigger.  And of course no drag with the side plate off.  Luckily, I took a close look to see and there was the drag mark.  I wonder if you may have a pin that's loose enough to occasionally move out and drag on the frame.  Let us know what Tom K has to say.

14 hours ago, pyrrhic3gun said:

Looks like I'm late to the party again.  But let me tell you what I discovered on my 929 a few weeks ago.

One of the hammer pins was creeping out and was starting to drag on the side plate.  So I would get an unusual drag in mid stroke of the trigger.  And of course no drag with the side plate off.  Luckily, I took a close look to see and there was the drag mark.  I wonder if you may have a pin that's loose enough to occasionally move out and drag on the frame.  Let us know what Tom K has to say.

P3G:

I did inspect the plate and frame for wear marks and nothing.  Right now it lies in a UPS facility with no estimation of delivery date.   

GG

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 5:46 AM, gargoil66 said:

P3G:

I did inspect the plate and frame for wear marks and nothing.  Right now it lies in a UPS facility with no estimation of delivery date.   

GG

Any updates?

YR:

Got notified on the 28th of Dec that it was delivered.  Didn't think it would get there until this week sometime.

Am sure it will be there for a long time but it was of no value to me because it was unreliable so not a big deal.

A bit concerned it will end up a Pyrrhic victory but that is the chance a guy takes in this situation.

GG

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, cole440 said:

Any new info on this?

C440:

Yes.  Eli called me up about two weeks ago and went over what his revolver smith found.

Said the trigger was not installed well and too much was taken off the 'nose'.  Also something with the cylinder stop.  Cone was out of alignment with the barrel too.  Will have to get a new trigger and cylinder stop installed.  Told him to get the cone straight, and anything else they thought was needed. 

Also, this is a very early 625 and the firing pin locking pin goes down from the top of the frame and is held in place by the rear sight or mount.  I had removed the dot sight from the revolver and apparently the pin fell out in transit.  No problem, get er done.  I mention this because removing this pin by deliberate intent is a gigantic PITA so how that thing fell out is another mystery for me.  

They said it would be a couple of weeks before they could do the repairs.  Also said they bead blasted it and it looks fantastic.

I have no complaints.  No, I didn't install the trigger but it is my responsibility so I will take the hit for it.  

I imagine they will find something else once they start on the repairs and tuning but apparently those were the big three they found right off the bat.

GG

Got a call from TK this morning.'

The blaster is done and ready to ship.

Basically the "Ultimate Master Action Job" plus a couple of other small fixes.

Shooting it will tell if the locking up problem is gone for good but having professionals install their trigger and hammer gives me a lot more confidence that the problem is solved.

Eli was very open about what they found and what they had to do to fix it.  I have no complaints about the service at all. 

Couldn't be happier about the turn around time.  It got there on the 28th and is being returned tomorrow.   I imagine that come Feb or March at the latest, they are overwhelmed with guys wanting their blasters worked on before the shooting season gets into full swing.

So, will get it back and go from there. 

GG

9 hours ago, Farmer said:

Wow that was quick! Hopefully it’ll be slicker than water on ice. 

I understand it is so slick that all I have to do is start the trigger pull and let go.  It takes over from there.

Got Das Blaster back today.

Trigger is super smooth and consistent the whole travel.  Eli said they set it at seven pounds or so and it feels like it is five or less.  

I have had the very best in triggers for some of my match rifles and even some 1911's but never a revolver.

I have a TK trigger and hammer in my V comp and it is close but I can tell the difference immediately.  

Have an APEX in my TRR-8 and it is very fast but kind of rough.  Hard to describe it.   

The Rev Up Action Hammer in my 627-4 is as smooth but starts hard and gets faster through the pull which requires one to really stay on top of their trigger pull.  More difficult to shoot well than a consistently smooth and easy DA trigger.

So, workmanship seems impeccable, and the customer service the same.  Was about three weeks since it left my house to it being back.  That is pretty unbelievable for a high end gunsmithing service.   

Wouldn't hesitate to send another one to TK.

GG

Guys:

Shot the 627 today with a couple of different loads, both .38 Spl and .38 SC brass.

Put about 200 rounds through it.  Ate up everything I fed it.  No light strikes, no hard pulls, no locking up.'

Trigger is so smooth that zeroing it was a dream.  TK said it was seven pounds.  Could be and maybe I can get it down some but it was functioning so perfectly that I saw absolutely no need to mess with it.  Even after the training when I go over what I did, my performance, and my equipment, I did not think that the trigger pull needs any adjustment.

Performance showed a distinct improvement that did not dissipate throughout the training session.  Have pretty much regained my confidence in this revolver too.  Need one more session to cement it. 

No complaints about TK and their workmanship.

The outcome couldn't be better.

GG

TK does excellent work and I'm glad he got your gun working correctly.  Now Leave It Alone.  I'd rather have a smooth 7 pound DA pull that works then try to get a lower weight that you have to use only Federal Primers to get them to go off properly.

I've gone the route of the light action, had my guns down to the 4.5 pound range and worked well but had to use Federals and had to seat the primers deep.  When I sold the gun the next owner couldn't get it to work at that weight and had to go to 6.5 pounds.  

It takes thousands and thousands of rounds to use the lower trigger pulls.  I'm not saying give it up, just saying be prepared.

Edited by AzShooter

6 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Guys:

Shot the 627 today with a couple of different loads, both .38 Spl and .38 SC brass.

Put about 200 rounds through it.  Ate up everything I fed it.  No light strikes, no hard pulls, no locking up.'

Trigger is so smooth that zeroing it was a dream.  TK said it was seven pounds.  Could be and maybe I can get it down some but it was functioning so perfectly that I saw absolutely no need to mess with it.  Even after the training when I go over what I did, my performance, and my equipment, I did not think that the trigger pull needs any adjustment.

Performance showed a distinct improvement that did not dissipate throughout the training session.  Have pretty much regained my confidence in this revolver too.  Need one more session to cement it. 

GG

😎👍👍

6 hours ago, AzShooter said:

TK does excellent work and I'm glad he got your gun working correctly.  Now Leave It Alone.  I'd rather have a smooth 7 pound DA pull that works then try to get a lower weight that you have to use only Federal Primers to get them to go off properly.

I've gone the route of the light action, had my guns down to the 4.5 pound range and worked well but had to use Federals and had to seat the primers deep.  When I sold the gun the next owner couldn't get it to work at that weight and had to go to 6.5 pounds.  

It takes thousands and thousands of rounds to use the lower trigger pulls.  I'm not saying give it up, just saying be prepared.

AZS:

Eli asked me more than once what primers I was using so I think they ended up where they did with the trigger based on Fed 100's.  I think I have some Winchester SPPs from pre panic times and will try them. 

I really am amazed I didn't have any light strikes because I loaded the ammo on a new Hornady LNL AP (Ammo Plant) and there is always a breaking in period with a press, even though I own a early LNL AP.  Inspection of the primers showed solid hits on all of them.  Nothing light, nothing too much.  

I would adjust the strain screw if I thought I needed it but this time I just do not think I need to adjust it.  I think it is tuned perfectly and seems to go along with my trigger pull quite well.  

GG

16 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Guys:

GG

I usually need a couple of local matches with a gun/ammo/gear combo before I gain confidence.  Murphy seems to hang out at matches and not my practice range!