Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 Problems

gargoil66

22 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

Farmer:

Oh yes, I shimmed the hammer.  Was rubbing on one side.  Two shims and it is aligned now.  

I am not particularly bothered with sending it to a reputable place like TK.  Factory?  Only if it was so grossly screwed up that I want the factory to spend their money and their man hours fixing something that never should have left their factory. 

I am not particularly mechanically inclined but since getting into SC with the revolver, I have become a lot more mechanically inclined.  I can usually figure out how something works but my experience has been that if I mess with one part, it messes with five others.  Unintended consequences sort of thing.

Really have no idea what I could do next because obviously I have not found the problem.  So will wait out UPS for a box the right size and off she goes. 

GG

👍 Gotcha. I know from experience that when working on firearms that when you modify make sure you can un-do the modifications or prepare to pay. People used to bring me their guns that they had “fixed“ and they usually required new parts. So I always keep that in the back of my head. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Farmer:

I may be getting close to someone who can perform a detailed disassembly and assembly of a revolver without any parts left on the table.  Messing with one part means you just messed with a couple others, especially when cams and sears are involved.  I lack the ability to visualize that far.

I do not know a Farmer who is not a highly skilled heavy equipment mechanic.  I would think you would go broke unless you could troubleshoot mechanical problems and even fabricate parts.  Does not surprise me a bit that you and PK are proficient gunsmiths.  

GG

I've been following this since the beginning and having a similar issue with my dad's 617. Along with the hard trigger pull I'm having an issue with the trigger resetting as well. So I'm interested in seeing what they find when you send it out. 

1 hour ago, xjwalt666 said:

I've been following this since the beginning and having a similar issue with my dad's 617. Along with the hard trigger pull I'm having an issue with the trigger resetting as well. So I'm interested in seeing what they find when you send it out. 

JW:

This isn't the first such issue brought to the forum.  Identical to one that was in 2K13.  

I can do a few things with a revolver but messing around with the cylinder stop and timing isn't one of them.  There are no gunsmiths within several hours drive of me who work on revolvers as a rule.  Simple stuff they will do.  Cylinder stop?  I doubt it and even if they said they would try, I think it best to send it to someone who specializes in competition revolvers.

Got a box today that will take the plastic Smith and Wesson box so tomorrow I pack it up and ship it to TK.

GG

Talked with TK this morning.

Boxed and ready for pick up.

Someone said something to the effect of it costing me about $60.00.  Not surprisingly, the cost for the cheapest overnight from UPS is actually $160.00.   

I am not happy about that one but it may be worth it to find out what is wrong with that revolver.  

GG

3 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Talked with TK this morning.

Boxed and ready for pick up.

Someone said something to the effect of it costing me about $60.00.  Not surprisingly, the cost for the cheapest overnight from UPS is actually $160.00.   

I am not happy about that one but it may be worth it to find out what is wrong with that revolver.  

GG

Ouch, maybe is it possible a gun shop would ship it cheaper?  

38 minutes ago, old558 said:

O-55:

I doubt it.  They would charge me about fifty dollars in packaging and handling plus what ever it costs them for overnight shipping.  Unless they are exempt from overnighting a handgun.  Also would be about forty dollars in gasoline to get to the closest gun shop who would ship so bottom line is that it is probably cheaper for me to do what I am doing.

GG

Most FFL can ship to and from each other and use USPS Priority Mail. Cost $15 to $20 dollars to ship and what ever they charge for doing it. I guess I am lucky that where I ship UPS they always ship 2 day. I tell them it is a firearm and they ship 2 day. I never ask or tell them it should go overnight. I figure it is up to them to know their own rules. 

About a year after UPS required overnight on handguns I had to send a revolver back to Ruger. I had the original boxes and packaging so boxed it up and then had to drive it down to the main depot, 40 miles away. Then pay the not nice after she found out it was a firearm clerk, $80 to ship it only to find out later that it should have only cost $40!  I bitched and they gave me the usual pre-programmed excuses that Ruger was a rural delivery so that cost more, firearms cost more, blah blah blah. The worst part was when I got it back they really didn’t fix everything they were supposed to. 🙄

12 hours ago, revoman said:

Most FFL can ship to and from each other and use USPS Priority Mail. Cost $15 to $20 dollars to ship and what ever they charge for doing it. I guess I am lucky that where I ship UPS they always ship 2 day. I tell them it is a firearm and they ship 2 day. I never ask or tell them it should go overnight. I figure it is up to them to know their own rules. 

RM:

I hear you.  I had this revolver shipped to a gun store "near" (fifty miles) me.  Distance between the gun store I bought it and the place that got it is about 150 miles.  Took three days to get there so obviously there was no overnight requirement.

Can't remember what I paid for shipping.  Not much I think.  However once it was done, I paid the place that got it about eighty dollars total for handling transfer fees.  Round trip for me was right around a hundred miles that cost about forty dollars in gasoline.  You pay a price for living in rural areas.

Farmer's story is way more common than you think too.  Clerks adding costs because they heard it somewhere or are plain anti gun.  UPS is pretty specific not to bring it to a UPS Store but to package it at home and hand it to a delivery guy.

When I shipped my TRR-8 to Smith and Wesson, they E mailed me the shipping label.  No idea what it cost but it was overnight.  

GG

3 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

RM:

I hear you.  I had this revolver shipped to a gun store "near" (fifty miles) me.  Distance between the gun store I bought it and the place that got it is about 150 miles.  Took three days to get there so obviously there was no overnight requirement.

Can't remember what I paid for shipping.  Not much I think.  However once it was done, I paid the place that got it about eighty dollars total for handling transfer fees.  Round trip for me was right around a hundred miles that cost about forty dollars in gasoline.  You pay a price for living in rural areas.

Farmer's story is way more common than you think too.  Clerks adding costs because they heard it somewhere or are plain anti gun.  UPS is pretty specific not to bring it to a UPS Store but to package it at home and hand it to a delivery guy.

When I shipped my TRR-8 to Smith and Wesson, they E mailed me the shipping label.  No idea what it cost but it was overnight.  

GG

It pays to also have a friend that has an FFL. Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year ✌🏻🇺🇸🦅

4 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

RM:

GG

What’s odd is that was the actual UPS depot in Moses Lake that I had to take it to. I couldn’t hand it to the driver or anything else. I even asked our driver that I knew well and he wouldn’t touch it. He also said they have all those place’s addresses flagged so they know. The reason for overnight was that guns were getting “lost”/stolen in the system, so if their in the system for less time it lessens the chances. 

Farmer:

Like most of us, the experience of shipping a firearm or even firearms components is filled with bureaucrats who do not know their own regulations or are so prejudice against firearms and gun owners that they make up their own regulations.  Have had it happen to me several times when living in the South Sound.  Every one I eventually prevailed and am surprised that some of the packages ever left those UPS facilities because I left behind really mad clerks and supervisors.

"Show me the regulation please", does not lead to a pleasant conversation with any clerk I have had to correct for giving me outright BS.

The blaster is 'safely' in the hands of UPS right now and I already got notified it will be delayed.  Not happy as we speak.

GG

2 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Farmer:

Like most of us, the experience of shipping a firearm or even firearms components is filled with bureaucrats who do not know their own regulations or are so prejudice against firearms and gun owners that they make up their own regulations.  Have had it happen to me several times when living in the South Sound.  Every one I eventually prevailed and am surprised that some of the packages ever left those UPS facilities because I left behind really mad clerks and supervisors.

"Show me the regulation please", does not lead to a pleasant conversation with any clerk I have had to correct for giving me outright BS.

The blaster is 'safely' in the hands of UPS right now and I already got notified it will be delayed.  Not happy as we speak.

GG

Delayed on account of weather I’m sure. Don’t know where TK is but I just had some stuff come from IA and it was delayed for that reason. I just know it’s colder than a well diggers ass here right now. About  -25 with the wind chill. Someone else once shipped a firearm back to Ruger during their maintenance period and it took an extra couple of weeks before they got to it. Bad timing to say the least. 

Edited by Farmer

1 hour ago, Farmer said:

Delayed on account of weather I’m sure. Don’t know where TK is but I just had some stuff come from IA and it was delayed for that reason. I just know it’s colder than a well diggers ass here right now. About  -25 with the wind chill. Someone else once shipped a firearm back to Ruger during their maintenance period and it took an extra couple of weeks before they got to it. Bad timing to say the least. 

Farmer:

Was expecting weather to be the reason too but it was a 'sorting error' this time.  They say it is on its way.

TK is in Thomasboro in East Central Ill.  Just checked their weather and was surprised to see the temps under 10.   Eli said to get it to them before Jan which will probably happen despite the storm going through the Midwest.  Still expecting a couple of months there.  No sweat, my primary for SC is a 627-4 and most clubs here have curtailed their matches until March.  Looks like the club I belong to is about to get coated in ice so it looks like dry fire city and loading ammo for a while.  

Looked at Odessa and wonder what is the big deal?  Looks like a typical December day there.  Ten degrees and twenty MPH plus winds. 

Only five below here and the sun is coming out.  Zero wind.  Would Nordic but that means putting on some wax that is a huge PITA to melt and apply.   And tomorrow it will be back in the teens and twenties again where my skis are already waxed.  

Love the winter but at times it becomes a Catch 22.

Since you refer to the well diggers butt, I may just have to buy a Brass Monkey and some iron cannon balls and test out that saying. 

Note:  Just looked and this saying is a myth.  Damn, wanted an excuse for buying a cannon to go with it.  

GG

Edited by gargoil66

Glad you’re blasters on its way. You must have been looking at the Odessa Texas forecast! 😁 Most of the day while I was thawing out my well, jump starting the neighbor lady’s car, it was -5 with a 15 mph wind. Not a nice day. It’s actually warmed up to 7.5 tonight at 10:30 pm and started snowing & still blowing. 

6 hours ago, Farmer said:

Glad you’re blasters on its way. You must have been looking at the Odessa Texas forecast! 😁 Most of the day while I was thawing out my well, jump starting the neighbor lady’s car, it was -5 with a 15 mph wind. Not a nice day. It’s actually warmed up to 7.5 tonight at 10:30 pm and started snowing & still blowing. 

Farmer:

UPS says it will be delivered today.  End of the beginning.  Like a bad dream that keeps on going as you try to wake up.

Nope, Odessa Wa. it was.  Can't remember the weather station.  All over the map there.   5 out and a course snow coming down.  Air inversion of some sort which means bad Ju-Ju.  In a bit of a storm shadow from the mountains so we don't get the high winds you do.  Still, ice and rain on top of the snow on the pines is pretty serious 'bidness'.

Instead of prepping my blasters for some practice, I will have to prep the chain saw.  Got a feeling this will get real ugly by the end of the day.

GG

21 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Farmer:

Was expecting weather to be the reason too but it was a 'sorting error' this time.  They say it is on its way.

TK is in Thomasboro in East Central Ill.  Just checked their weather and was surprised to see the temps under 10.   Eli said to get it to them before Jan which will probably happen despite the storm going through the Midwest.  Still expecting a couple of months there.  No sweat, my primary for SC is a 627-4 and most clubs here have curtailed their matches until March.  Looks like the club I belong to is about to get coated in ice so it looks like dry fire city and loading ammo for a while.  

Looked at Odessa and wonder what is the big deal?  Looks like a typical December day there.  Ten degrees and twenty MPH plus winds. 

Only five below here and the sun is coming out.  Zero wind.  Would Nordic but that means putting on some wax that is a huge PITA to melt and apply.   And tomorrow it will be back in the teens and twenties again where my skis are already waxed.  

Love the winter but at times it becomes a Catch 22.

Since you refer to the well diggers butt, I may just have to buy a Brass Monkey and some iron cannon balls and test out that saying. 

Note:  Just looked and this saying is a myth.  Damn, wanted an excuse for buying a cannon to go with it.  

GG

The cherry bomb cyclone isn't much in Kansas.  Little colder than normal but seen way worse.  Not much snow or ice either.

Think the hysteria was over the cold enveloping the whole country.  Seen that a few times too.