Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bar-Sto barrels hooplahhah

mofosheee

Hello Forum

Considering the age old debate regarding feeding a Glock lead,  I'm curious about the Bar-Sto barrels.  

With a mountain of lead (for reloading) that I've acquired over the years.............what say the forum members on these barrels.

Thank you!

Edited by mofosheee
forgot to select "follow"

Hello Forum

Considering the age old debate regarding feeding a Glock lead,  I'm curious about the Bar-Sto barrels.  

With a mountain of lead (for reloading) that I've acquired over the years.............what say the forum members on these barrels.

Thank you!

I have a few BarSto barrels and almost all needed the rifling leade lengthened to accommodate my reloads - both 9 and 40 - usually a quick and easy fix. A few have needed some barrel fitting, even with the semi-fit barrels. That said, they all shoot lights out with my loads if I get it right. The KKM barrels I have have all dropped in and the rifling leades did not need any work - accurate enough for USPSA and mostly up to or even exceeding BarSto in one case. Another one I have a couple of is Jarvis in Hamilton, MT. Jarvis accuracy is excellent, rifling leaden is fine, and they have all just dropped in, like the KKM's. Jarvis barrels are chrome moly as opposed to the stainless BarSto and KKM use.

18 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I've been happier w kkm vs barsto. Mainly in ease of use and relaoding for the chamber rather than say ultimate accuracy 

100% here as well  I buy the KKM just for the chamber and it will digest anything, at most any oal.  I just put them in pretty much any glock im loading for, even though the stock gen 5 barrel is pretty much just as accurate 

1 hour ago, lefty o said:

for me, kkm or jarvis. back in the day bar-sto was about the only good choice, but since the old man died ive not had one come through my hands i was impressed with.

I was wondering because a couple of decades ago Bar-Sto was close to the default to use when building a race gun.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, mofosheee said:

Have to say the stock G30 barrel shoots well.  It's all about shootin lead.

Very much appreciate the responses!   Lots of positive about the KKM's

Thanks again

I've put exactly 5755 polymer coated lead bullets through a Glock 17 Gen 3 with zero issues.  Hardly ever even clean the bore.

100% try the factory barrel first. Out of about 5 glocks four were fine shooting lead with the stock barrels, one leaded like a son of a gun though. But that means 80% chance that it'll be fine

KKM. Also, you don't really know if there is lead build up just by visual inspection. I had an Outers electrochemical de-leader. I  thought the stock barrel looked clean but was surprised how much lead came out with the Outers unit. I got a KKM. They don't make the Outers anymore.

There was/is an engineer from Colorado who actually did the measurements of pressure increases in stock barrels when shooting lead. It didn't take much leading to spike the pressures up. As you know from reading "lead in Glocks", there is more to the story - what kind of lead, how many rounds, etc. So your YMMV. Or just get the KKM.

Like JC, I haven't had any problems with polymer coated but you say you have lead, not coated.

Shoulda stated that my inventor is; Penn 9mm powder coated and non coated 45cal RN and SWC.  I'm unsure of its tendency to plate out in a barrel.

Not wanting to push the envelope, I keep an eye on my hardware.   These issues can be a PITA and are easily addressed. Better safe than sorry.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 4:57 PM, mofosheee said:

Hello Forum

Thank you!

Coated lead works well in the vast majority of factory Glock barrels.  Using Hi-Tek coated.  

Coat your stock and shoot it up.

• 1 month later...

So, I rolled the dice and bought the Bar-Sto barrel for my box stock G30. 

Sad to say that the reliability of the gun with the Bar-Sto barrel is in the toilet.  Ran a variety of ammo to find that

the pistol now has repeated failures to feed.   

Never once had a failure with the Glock barrel.    What a waste. 

Barstos arnt drop in, they are pretty tight, which is where the accuracy comes from,, also as mentioned the chambers are tight. 
You need to diagnose why your gun is failing to feed. Is it the barrel to frame fit ? or is it the ammo/ chamber throat. 
In general how does the gun hand cycle with no ammo,, ? feel smooth ? no hang ups ?
Then pull barrel and plunk test your ammo,, ammo should drop in with an audible plunk... Then fall out when you tilt barrel up.. 

Hello Joe4d

Going into this, I understood that the barrels weren't drop in and that fitting was necessary.  

After that fitting was done, I found the slide to cycle smoothly empty and with dummy rounds I had laying around.

A variety of over-the-counter ammo was used, that plunked and dropped out of the barrel.  

The problem is the rounds never make it into the chamber.