Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.56 bullet for reloading

mofosheee

Having re-loaded my fair share of 9, 40 & 45 using my Dillon 650.   I've been feeding my toy 55 to 62 grain 5.56. 

With zero experience in reloading 5.56, I'm asking the forum if

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010924765?pid=586952

and

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets/rifle/224-5-56mm/224-62-gr-hornady-lead-core-full-metal-jacket-no-steel/

will be comparable to what I've been shooting.  Thank you!

21 minutes ago, mofosheee said:

Hello again

Would someone recommend a powder?  Or would these be suitable? 

I have in possession; W231, Accurate #2, 5 & 7, Titegroup, Vargat

Thank you again!

W231, A#2-5-7, TiteGroup are pistol burn rate and would blow up a rifle.

Varget will work fine but is a premium powder to reload bulk 223/5/56.

23 hours ago, mofosheee said:

Would someone recommend a powder?  Or would these be suitable? 

First as others have posted the answer is NO in a big way. Those powders are not suitable. 

For a progressive press use a small ball rifle powder like Win 748 (an old standard for 223), & CFE 223. 

One issue though; unlike pistol you can easily over pressure rifle rounds. You must start low and work up for the gun you are using. I've had loads near the max recommended which worked in one barrel but in another were way over pressure.

RMR are good bullets (loaded thousands of their 55 & 69 for 223), but if you're shooting is inside 100 yards for plinking (not precision) just about any 55 FMJ will suffice. For distance and precision 69 or 75 grain are better. In an AR platform the magazine will limit you OAL. Bolt action can load OAL to optimize the chamber length.

Edited by HesedTech

On 11/23/2022 at 12:54 PM, DesertTortoise said:

Varget is great, but doesn't work well on a progressive press

Ive used Ramshot tac and accurate 2200 which both work well on a progressive press for bulk ammo

Hello...........are you able to you describe the difficulties that I would encounter using Varget?  Thank you for responding

I use H335 for 55-62gr bullets. Something in the 25gr range. Meters great. 

Varget is my favorite for longer range precision loads with 69 or 77gr SMK. I usually load and shoot these in smaller batches so I use the Chargemaster to weigh them. It’s slower but not a big deal. 

I recently loaded some different.308 loads with CFE223 but haven’t actually tried it for .223 yet. If it works even close to as well as Varget, I may switch and quit stocking Varget. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with the Armorally 55gr FMJ bullets?  They are listed as US manufactured for them.  A good bit cheaper by the 1000 than the Hornady 55FMJ. 

I have had great success with the RMR 75 3GH for longer range work and they to are very reasonable priced but don't see the need for extra cost and recoil over a cheaper 55FMJ.  

16 hours ago, ysrracer said:

If I can buy loaded ammo for $0.36 a round, is it really worth it fur me to load it?

Depends.

------------------------

On powders:

How is availability and pricing of Vihtavuori N133 or N135 in USA?

20 hours ago, ysrracer said:

If I can buy loaded ammo for $0.36 a round, is it really worth it fur me to load it?

If you have brass you can probably save a dime each, so then it depends on volume.

OTOH I figure I can load a nice 77gn for around $0.46, only a dime more with the same work. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I use Hornady 55 FMJBT 25 GR H335 and get just under MOA out of my 18" 1-8 barrel. H335 meters great on my Hornady LNL press.

Edited by dtuns