Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you shoot Iron sights with a fiber optic what's your sight picture / hold

Climbhard

Iron SIght Alignment with F.O.  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Question for Iron Sight shooters with Fiber Optic. Whats your hold?

• SIx O'Clock
    • Target
    • F.O. like a dot.

If you bench rest your firearm at the same height as the 1st target at 25 yds and place a second target behind it of the same height at 50-65 yds you will see the drop that I mentioned before. The drop starts at 25 yds since its my established POI. It could travel farther hitting the same POI but my concern is the 25 yd line before the bullet starts its sloping journey, downward that is. Since its a paper target, I do not believe deflection is an issue here specially when the bullet choice is truncated cone 124 gr at 1200 fps. In like manner, metallic silhouette shooters dial in their rear sight for 100 yd POI, mark their rear sight for 200 yd POI dial and so on. The farther the distance the higher the elevation becomes and the slope the bullet has to travel on it downward travel. All I’m saying is bullets travel flat coming out of the muzzle up to a certain point till gravity starts doing its job. 

3 hours ago, nearsightedgunner said:

If you bench rest your firearm at the same height as the 1st target at 25 yds and place a second target behind it of the same height at 50-65 yds you will see the drop that I mentioned before. The drop starts at 25 yds since its my established POI. It could travel farther hitting the same POI but my concern is the 25 yd line before the bullet starts its sloping journey, downward that is. Since its a paper target, I do not believe deflection is an issue here specially when the bullet choice is truncated cone 124 gr at 1200 fps. In like manner, metallic silhouette shooters dial in their rear sight for 100 yd POI, mark their rear sight for 200 yd POI dial and so on. The farther the distance the higher the elevation becomes and the slope the bullet has to travel on it downward travel. All I’m saying is bullets travel flat coming out of the muzzle up to a certain point till gravity starts doing its job. 

And if you placed a second target at 30yds, you will see that the bullet impacts higher.

You say that you bench rest your firearm at the same height as the target. So is the barrel in line with the bullseye? Or the sights? It can't be both. It must be the sights that are aligned with the bullseye. And because the barrel is below the sights, then the barrel must oriented up in order for the bullet to hit the bullseye. By punching in some numbers into a ballistic calculator, you can see that the first time the bullet intersects the 25 yard point, it is still rising. It will continue to rise, peaking at around 35 yards before dropping quite rapidly. So yes, at 50 yards the bullet will have dropped.

You are supposed to aim?

I zero with 2 but I'd like to think I shoot with something between 2 and 3 but honestly at speed I am looking over my sights and point/index shooting. I get on the irons for harder/distance shots only come to find out. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

it depends on the gun being used.

Sigs and Czs(and other combat style  guns) seem to shoot best  using  the #2 sight picture

bullseye  guns tend to use the  #1  sight picture

Edited by boatdoc173

#1 only works at a fixed, known distance and known-size target.  People used to call the shop and want sights to use a "6 o-clock hold" and the response was "how big is your clock and how far away?"

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I zero at 25m, setting the sight so I hold a tad below center on a metal plate.

If I set it right on, the sight pretty much covers the whole plate at that distance and beyond. It's a lot easier if you actually see what you're shooting at. Closer than 25, at ipsc targets, it doesn't make much of a difference anyway.

On 1/18/2024 at 12:06 PM, barry said:

The bullet starts dropping the instant it leaves the barrel. The fact that the sights are above the barrel makes it appear to rise.

It doesn't, the barrel points "up" so the bullet doesn't start dropping until it reaches its apex. 

The vertical component of velocity starts decreasing (velocity changes in the direction of gravity pull, so absolute value decreases), but until this velocity is zero the bullet raises. 

Most voters voted #2 but I use #1 for all guns and all sights, setting the sight to put my shot just above the front blade or crosshair. As a former target shooter I find "balancing the ball" on the front sight much easier and more accurate than trying to estimate the center of the bull. After sighting the gun in this way I effectively have #2 perfectly set.

Try it and you will find it much easier and much more accurate.

1 hour ago, Rickh238 said:

Most voters voted #2 but I use #1 for all guns and all sights, setting the sight to put my shot just above the front blade or crosshair. As a former target shooter I find "balancing the ball" on the front sight much easier and more accurate than trying to estimate the center of the bull. After sighting the gun in this way I effectively have #2 perfectly set.

Try it and you will find it much easier and much more accurate.

Being target shooter explains your preference for "balancing the ball" (#1 sight picture), but you have to remember that it only works when the "ball" is fixed angular size. Have a target of different size, or at different distance, and now you have to estimate how much to hold under. 

Yes, #1 is superior for target shooting at *fixed* distances and *fixed* target shapes (well-defined size of the inner circles) precisely because it's more accurate to have the ball touch the top of the sight (and sometimes even to have a sliver of white between the ball and the sight) than to determine the center of the ball, but the moment you get into action shooting at various distances, #1 becomes highly suboptimal and much worse than #2.