Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated 9mm 115/124 recommendations

mpmo

I'm going to start experimenting with Plated bullets for my JP5 PCC.  The 147gn FP blue bullets are just causing too much buildup in the comp.  What plated bullets do you recommend?  

plated bullets are lead bullets with a different coat than

the dry paint...

I agree with Rnlinebacker that jacket bullets are the way to go.

and I do understand that conclusion is spending your money.

miranda

I don't know what you guys are smoking, but plated is a lot cheaper than JHPs.  I just bought 6k or RMR heavy plate for 7.1 cents each.  I shoot them through my PCC with comp, and in minor loads in my Open gun.  Clean as a whistle.

OP, ignore the advice you got to shoot jacketed.  They are worse than coated.  The exposed lead at the rear of the bullet is vaporized when fired and that lead vapor condenses in your comp chambers.  It is a lot harder to remove than the smurf poo you get now.  Shoot JHPs and good plated if you want your comp to stay clean.  Beware of thinly plated bullets like those in Blazer Brass ammo.  That is more like a copper wash than plated.  They will lead your comp up pronto.

last batch of Copper plated bullets i had, I put some on the drill press to make carolina fishing weights and dropped the rest in the garbage. Sizing was just inconsistent and either over crimped or got bullet setback. Also had keyhole issues.. 
Berry's were good till they jacked their prices to be more expensive than jacketed.

8 hours ago, zzt said:

I don't know what you guys are smoking, but plated is a lot cheaper than JHPs.  I just bought 6k or RMR heavy plate for 7.1 cents each.  I shoot them through my PCC with comp, and in minor loads in my Open gun.  Clean as a whistle.

OP, ignore the advice you got to shoot jacketed.  They are worse than coated.  The exposed lead at the rear of the bullet is vaporized when fired and that lead vapor condenses in your comp chambers.  It is a lot harder to remove than the smurf poo you get now.  Shoot JHPs and good plated if you want your comp to stay clean.  Beware of thinly plated bullets like those in Blazer Brass ammo.  That is more like a copper wash than plated.  They will lead your comp up pronto.

quoted ya cause you got my attention...

some how I go to making lead bullets and I can't call 'em free...

but cheap may be close...  If I have to pay for bullets

I think I'd go with montana gold HP.

uuf,  I gave  up on plated as not cheap enough.

This was about ten years ago.  So I can  take getting schooled

in the lowest of prices on plated bullets 

where do you shop for plated?

from montana gold 9mm is a  widge less than 10 cents a throw.

So I agree that 7 cents is lower...

but to declare me a doing drugs because....

I see them as similar.  walk lighter on these tired bones.

I may be mistaken, what is the electricity cost to pour bullets?

I tend to think free buuut that is not true...

want to kick around on 2 or 3 cents a throw?

so I think both options pricey.  The jacketed are

in my mind a good reason to pay that much...

K enough teasing you.

I do want to know where you get your plated deal

and

if 10 cents a bullet is top price

then 7 cents is a good amount less.  

I agree.

miranda

I've tried Berrys, Rainer, and Everglades plated bullets in my PCC and decided to go with the Everglades 115gr RN Plated Version 2 with the thicker plate.  They were by far the most accurate of the 3.  I don't have any problem loading them to an accuracy level which is more than adequate for anything I've run into at a match,  including the longer range steel at the Pistol/PCC 2 gun Nationals.  But then again I've never taken my PCC to a bench rest or PRS match.  No intention to insult your loading knowledge but if you haven't loaded plated bullets before keep in mind that they can be very finicky about the amount of crimp.  Just enough to take out the case mouth bell and no more.  Bullet diameter plus case mouth thickness X 2 should be the measurement at the mouth of the case after loading.  

I will also echo the Everglades.  Very consistent weights, sizing and plating.  I'm running the 124s at sub-minor for Steel Challenge and they are plenty accurate for my needs.  After the 124s are gone I might switch to the 115s to reduce the PF some.  Plus Everglades has multiple sales throughout the year.  sign up for their newsletter.

Edited by bigdawgbeav

I got some of the 124 RN Plated Everglades to try.  BTW, they are on sale for 7cents (qty 2000) today with code Labor22.

Weight is more consistent that what I'm used to with Blues.  I weighed about 15 and they were within 1gn of each other.  123.5-124.5gns.

OAL was more consistent also.  

For dot movement, I can't give a fair comparison as the PF for the 124's was lower than the 147 FP Blues I'm running.

I cannot believe what my comp looks like after shooting 1k of Blues.  The lead is freaking caked on, and it doesn't want to come off. 

11 hours ago, mpmo said:

I cannot believe what my comp looks like after shooting 1k of Blues.  The lead is freaking caked on, and it doesn't want to come off. 

Spray some Dillon Case Lube into the ports of the comp every 50 shots…the rate of lead buildup is reduced and cleaning is much easier. One Shot will achieve much the same result.

8 hours ago, Service Desk said:

Spray some Dillon Case Lube into the ports of the comp every 50 shots…the rate of lead buildup is reduced and cleaning is much easier. One Shot will achieve much the same result.

Has anyone tried MIG welding tip no splatter spray?

Edited by Farmer

• 2 weeks later...