Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's going on with IDPA

GOF

I'm not knocking IDPA as a competitive shooting sport. When Bill Wilson ran things I was a certified SO and accumulated a pile of trophies and plaques from International Postal Matches, 2011 World Championship, National and numerous Regional & State championships from a half-dozen states. I'm no longer a paying member, but I do like shooting a match every few months with my carry gun&gear to keep in practice.

I do hear that there was a noticeable loss of members when Joyce Fowler took over, but now I'm seeing established, long-time affiliated clubs saying "Bye bye, no thanks". One match director told me this was because they didn't... and couldn't... meet IDPA's new requirements.

Any info?

Locally, we've only gained members since the 2017 and 2022 rule changes. I suspect there's a bit of an old guard leaving who don't like the new rules (and, just *maybe*, don't like that they can't hang with the new blood, what with their guns shoved into the front of their pants and their fancy laser beam sights and all).

1 hour ago, GOF said:

That still doesn't explain why some clubs are not re-affiliating with IDPA, even though they may still be hosting IDPA-like matches. 

Did you ask the match director that you talked to which requirements they couldn't meet? Nothing materially changed in terms of club affiliations and/or stage components.

Our club used to be affiliated, but then it lapsed when the only person at our club that was a certified SO left shooting. So now to get reaffiliated we need to get someone certified, which is a decent hassle/expense for essentially no value. Since there isn't anyone in our area that travels around to level 2+ matches, there's really no point/value. Whereas USPSA is easier and offers more value to be affiliated.

IDPA has never really offered value for membership or club affiliation. Been that way since the 90,s, Clubs knew if they tried to enforce that one match thing they wouldnt have any shooters.
Seems I have probably shot more "Defensive" pistol matches using IDPA rules than affiliated

The last two batches of rule changes have made it much more difficult to efficiently and cost effectively put on a good club match IMO. Also the change where you can’t require a non shooting action has eliminated a lot of fun stage options. We have to get really creative and/or limit movement with fault lines or tons of barrels in order to block people from going around walls on what is meant to be out of bounds and gaming the stages. I have seen stage designers create some cool stages and someone figures out how to go around things and defeat the whole intent of the “defensive” stage because you have to block every possible avenue now.

Even if we decided to invest in more walls it would be a lot of extra work to haul everything down range and set it up for the 4-5 people who help with setup. For a small club (20-25 shooters) it is a PITA. 

3 hours ago, r4ndy said:

The last two batches of rule changes have made it much more difficult to efficiently and cost effectively put on a good club match IMO. Also the change where you can’t require a non shooting action has eliminated a lot of fun stage options. We have to get really creative and/or limit movement with fault lines or tons of barrels in order to block people from going around walls on what is meant to be out of bounds and gaming the stages. I have seen stage designers create some cool stages and someone figures out how to go around things and defeat the whole intent of the “defensive” stage because you have to block every possible avenue now.

Even if we decided to invest in more walls it would be a lot of extra work to haul everything down range and set it up for the 4-5 people who help with setup. For a small club (20-25 shooters) it is a PITA. 

Rules 3.6.5 and 3.6.7 are the ones you want to limit movement.

There's no getting around the non-shooting action thing, though; that one's a bummer. I ran an awesome "Miami Vice" stage that involved collecting drugs and money while shooting your way through "the docks" (you were penalized for leaving "goods" behind). It's really, really difficult to build something like that when you can't require non-shooting actions.