Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Racking a slide using the optic

Is it fine to rack the slide on a pistol (for say an unloaded/empty chamber start) by using the optic? Logic tells me that the force I impart with my hand is going to be much less than what the optic experiences everytime the gun cycles. But at the same time, it's a different kind of force.

Edited by Blackstone45

Aaron Cowan, a firearms instructor at Sage Dynamics has a background in the military and various law enforcement agencies.  He has been instrumental in promoting red dots on pistols for duty use.  Aaron authored the first white paper on the subject and since its publication, it has been used in whole or in part by over 300 police departments world wide to justify the adoption of RDS sights for duty handguns.

He has also developed a following for his videos, available on Youtube, where he reviews and torture tests red dot optics.  Part of his torture testing involves repeated heavy blows to rack a pistol slide by beating the red dot against a large wooden post just to see if the optic can stand up to this type of abuse.  I have posted a link below to the review he did on the Trijicon SRO shortly after it was released.  I picked this video to post since the SRO is very popular as an optic of choice with competition shooters.  View the video, which I believe will answer the question you asked about using the optic to rack a pistol slide.  If you skip in the video to about 9:20 you will jump to the part about racking the slide with the optic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzjgOq60vFE

Getting dirt from your hands on the optic or smearing whatever might be on it over the window to me is a larger concern. Shouldn't prevent one from being able to shoot unless it causes a refraction error and double dots. I rack the same way as with iron sighted guns but base of my thumb does touch the optic. 

16 hours ago, YVK said:

Getting dirt from your hands on the optic or smearing whatever might be on it over the window to me is a larger concern. Shouldn't prevent one from being able to shoot unless it causes a refraction error and double dots. I rack the same way as with iron sighted guns but base of my thumb does touch the optic. 

I agree with this. When I first started shooting CO, I would rack off the optic (When shooting a G17). Since I switched over to a Shadow 2, I just use the cocking serrations on the front of the gun and have been successful.

I will say that if you have a solid mount and torqued screws, you should have an issue with racking off the optic, but I don't personally find it beneficial.

18 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

My optic is on an SP-01 Shadow 1, the front cocking serrations aren't very easy to use hence why I'm asking about racking the optic.

Mine is an SP01 and yes, racking off the optic is fine as long as you watch where your hands are going.

If your fingers are chubby little nuggets covered in grease... then yeah, nah.

sp01_co.jpg

I've done it quite a bit and haven't had any issues yet, but I felt more ok after watching the Sage Dynamics videos and how far he's taken it. 

It is handy to have if you ever get a serious jam. I use range brass and occasionally get a stuck round and its handy to have the optic there to give it a good rack. 

5 hours ago, shred said:

Hard leans and shooting through vertical slots are when you really don't want an occluded dot.  

Makes sense. I currently cover the dot with pasters while I wait for a dedicated sight cover to become available.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:55 AM, Blackstone45 said:

Is it fine to rack the slide on a pistol (for say an unloaded/empty chamber start) by using the optic? Logic tells me that the force I impart with my hand is going to be much less than what the optic experiences everytime the gun cycles. But at the same time, it's a different kind of force.

If it's not a cheap china optic, you're good to go....

• 2 weeks later...

I generally don't rack off the optic just because using the front serrations is so ingrained in me but when I've had some bad loads that were a little long it did give me the extra leverage during stage to clear the stuck round. I just don't want to add stress to something so vital during a stage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I never did rack using the optic until recently - my shooting coach proved to me during "tap, rack, and shoot drill - just how much better and quicker it is. So, I've been practicing this way since - the Holosun handles it just fine.

My DPP and 507 have not had any issues racking off the optic. I forget who it was but they were crushing a barrier with their optic to clear a malfunction they couldn’t clear by hand. It still didn’t clear it (super stuck case) but he bashed it numerous times. Very violent. Held strong. 

as mentioned above, I would be more worried if the little things like prints. I’ve had a smudge on my glass because of this and even though it didn’t completely hinder me, it was annoying. My eyes went to that first a lot that stage until I forced myself to see the target. 

• 1 month later...

For CO I’m faster using optic since Theres a huge racking handle just hanging off the top of gun. An argument can probably be made that racking all guns similarly regardless of division would lead to better consistency in this gun handling skill

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is great information, thank you1  I will be moving to an optic shortly and was a bit concerned about losing some access to the serrations on the rear of the slide.  Grabbing the optic could really come in handy sometimes.

Video is for 3 gun training but it does address empty table starts at about 1:50 to 2:40. He briefly explains why he racks by grasping the slide vs using the optic.  I started using the optic to rack a couple years ago but went back to grasping the front of the slide after a short while.  Do what works best for you.  The timer will tell.  

On 6/9/2022 at 12:32 AM, YVK said:

This is why I don't do it.  No doubt the optic can handle it, but I try to keep the glass as clean as possible.