Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To buy a 550B or not

I’m looking to get back into reloading as I have a bit of components that I dug up and I want to get into open as well. I came across a deal for a 550B that’s pretty much new. I wanted to see if anyone had any input as to if it’s worth getting a “used” B vs a new C. 

I know the original owner and he claims to never have used it. Didn’t even mount it. Just pulled it out of the box and bolted the roller handle and strong mount to it. The price is $650 with the press, one shell plate, the upgraded mount and handle kit, the tool set, and cover. Seems like a fair price for a never used press. 

My only question is the upgrade to a C having the threaded pins and grease point. Is that really a “need to have” feature? If it adds to context, I don’t shoot a ton in comparison to many others. I would probably reload 3-5000 a year at best with a bigger lean to the 3,000 range. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also to add, I know it’s a terrible time for reloading with components being in the wind and my stuff on hand may or may not be reliable. This ammo would mostly be training. I doubt I’d run any major matches with it unless they proved to work fine. 

9 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

My only question is the upgrade to a C having the threaded pins and grease point. Is that really a “need to have” feature?

Not needed. Dillon recently replaced my 550(pre B )frame after over 30 years of service.Two zerk fittings ,maybe a little easier to take apart to service.

I’m meeting him Tuesday. He was pretty set on the price but I may try again. When I built the same thing online, after tax and shipping I was at around $850. So still a win. 

He did email a copy of his receipt from Dillon and he mistakenly said it was a B. It is in fact a C. So a little bonus points. In my eyes, it’s the equivalent of getting the upgrade kit for free almost. 

Correct-ish. It does come with a set of dies for 6.5. Something I don’t shoot a ton but would reload if I had the tools. Primarily I’d be using it for 9mm but there’s a handful of loads I’d do small batches of such as the 6.5 and m1 Garand ammo. 

does come with powder measure 

The 550 is my favorite press. I sold my 650 here a little over a year ago because it wasn't getting much use. I've bought the 550 twice because I shortsightedly my first one.

IMO, if you're going to load more than 1-2 pistol calibers or any rifle, the 550 is the best value. The 650/750 really shines for a single pistol caliber with case and bullet feeders.

5 hours ago, Smitty79 said:

I’ll be the nay sayer.   I’d save my pennies and get a 660/750.   Auto indexing is nice.   The better primer system is game changing. 

Isn't the 750 primer system the same as in the 550??? Never heard of a 660.

9mm is the primary focus since that’s what I shoot in CO and would like to get into open in the future. I may play with a little 40 to get back into limited before it dies lol. Rifle would be 6.5, maybe some 308 but probably not, 5.56, and 300 Blk. I can’t foresee me loading anything much more than that. But who knows. 

3 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

9mm is the primary focus since that’s what I shoot in CO and would like to get into open in the future. I may play with a little 40 to get back into limited before it dies lol. Rifle would be 6.5, maybe some 308 but probably not, 5.56, and 300 Blk. I can’t foresee me loading anything much more than that. But who knows. 

The only press I own is an older 550. Got it off of a neighbor. The whole main shaft was rusting, it was covered in grease and dirt/dust. Took a minute but cleaned it all up and called Dillon to make sure everything was right and get all the parts I needed. Runs like a champ now. Can make 1/2-3/4 moa ammo for my precision guns and can crank out about 400rds an hr of 9mm. It's a great all around press. 

That being said, I do plan on adding a 750 for specifically 9mm sometime soon. 

38 minutes ago, BigHand said:

That being said, I do plan on adding a 750 for specifically 9mm sometime soon. 

So I held off on a 550 because I wanted a 750. Figured that I wanted to get into USPSA again hot and heavy. Which I do, but little kids make that difficult. I know I won’t be loading the amount I’d like to so I’m sure this will be more than enough for a long while 

8 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

So I held off on a 550 because I wanted a 750. Figured that I wanted to get into USPSA again hot and heavy. Which I do, but little kids make that difficult. I know I won’t be loading the amount I’d like to so I’m sure this will be more than enough for a long while 

I don't think you could have gone wrong either way. If you're primarily shooting 9/40 for USPSA then for sure 750. In the end, I'm going to have two presses. I just shoot too often with different calibers to only have one, especially since I've been shooting 9mm a lot more. It will be nice to just have an auto indexing, case-fed system ready to rock whenever I want. 

I only have one kid(2) and I struggle to get enough time, so I can only imagine how multiple kids are. Thats where those living room/basement dry fire runs are so helpful. Keep in mind (I'm not assuming), if you're doing dry fire that only includes static draws, you should include all aspects of matches. Currently my major points are transitions and speed of transition/shooting throttle control (I set up close and far targets for this). 

For the amount of reloading you intend to do I'd buy the 550 and never look back.  It will handle your needs and then some.

I have my 550 for years and only changed when I really started to shoot ICORE and USPSA.  Shooting in excess of 30K rounds I needed a faster system and upgraded to a 650 with all the bells and whistles.  

Match your press to your particular needs and you can't go wrong with the price of your friend's machine.

2 hours ago, BigHand said:

I only have one kid(2) and I struggle to get enough time, so I can only imagine how multiple kids are. Thats where those living room/basement dry fire runs are so helpful. Keep in mind (I'm not assuming), if you're doing dry fire that only includes static draws, you should include all aspects of matches. Currently my major points are transitions and speed of transition/shooting throttle control (I set up close and far targets for this). 

yea, kids take up a lot of time and space. I have a one and a two year old 13 months apart. Life is a little chaotic to say the least. Hell, my dry fire has even gone down a bit just due to work and time. If I can squeeze in 15-30 minutes a night I'm a happy camper. 

I know what you mean about the near and far targets too. I fell into that hole using all 1/3 scaled targets. I ended up cutting some targets down to simulate a farther away target and try to use random things in the house as a stand to very the distances. I'd say that has helped a good amount. I've been focused the last few weeks on steel challenge as I'm going to the A8 match in two weeks. I do like GFDS targets for their "calibrated" sizes. I'll have to look into their USPSA targets. 

37 minutes ago, Smitty79 said:

Sorry, 650.    I think the 750 is about the same as a 650.

750:  "650 with a 550 type priming system" is close enough for government work...