Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To buy a 550B or not

35 minutes ago, Smitty79 said:

Sorry, 650.    I think the 750 is about the same as a 650.

Yes, they are similar, 650 and 750, but the primer system on the 750 is like the 550. Personally, I have two 550 and one is for large and one for small primer.

They are fine for me and I never had the feeling to get a different machine for the amounts I load. Not sure how much, but before the components went through the roof, I think I loaded something like 1000-1250 a month, mix of 9, 45, 38 spl and 357 mag. I enjoy the reloading and see it as some kind of relaxation, but this is just me.

2 hours ago, NoSteel said:

For that price,  Buy it and run the heck out of it.  If you decide it’s not for you,  in todays market you can sell for a profit easily.  No brainer

I am. He told me he wants to go back to a Lyman style turret press. I said ok bud. Have at it 

Just now, dmshozer1 said:

My 550 story

I have three 550's set up for 45, .223 and 9mm. I have a change over for  40.

All around 25 years old. I have had to change some small parts from time  to time.

They have never been back to Dillon for any major repairs. No idea how many rds.

have been loaded on them but for sure many, many thousands.

Except for loading .223, loading time has always been 15 minutes or so per 100.

That is with primers and bullets ready to go. I only load 9mm now.

Shoulder problems made me go to the DAA Mini Bullet feeder. Time was now about 8 minutes.

Got the DAA Mini case feeder. Time now is 6 minutes per 100. I did not buy them for speed but to reduce

my arm and shoulder movement.

Takes about 15 seconds to fill a case feeder tube. Takes 2-1/2 minutes to fill the bullet tube.

Happy camper!

I’ve looked at the mini feeder series before. I’d like to look at them again in the future. For now, just have to get back into the groove. Glad to hear that not only the press has worked well for you but all the additions too! Way to not let life stand in your way at all!! Props to you 

5 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

I’ve looked at the mini feeder series before. I’d like to look at them again in the future. For now, just have to get back into the groove. Glad to hear that not only the press has worked well for you but all the additions too! Way to not let life stand in your way at all!! Props to you 

Thanks Chris,

I need all the props I can get!

• 11 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 8:39 AM, belus said:

The 550 is my favorite press. I sold my 650 here a little over a year ago because it wasn't getting much use. I've bought the 550 twice because I shortsightedly my first one.

IMO, if you're going to load more than 1-2 pistol calibers or any rifle, the 550 is the best value. The 650/750 really shines for a single pistol caliber with case and bullet feeders.

I see auto indexing as a PITA if one makes a mistake.

It is not difficult to remember to advance the "star" on the baseplate ever time you pull the handle.  Just as you add a case and a bullet.

I've a pair of 550Bs.

Edited by pcmacd

• 4 weeks later...

A 550 is a must no matter how many others you have.  I use mine especially for setting new loads, short runs and used as a single stage press--very handy. 

I know 2600 bullseye shooters and the 550 is all they use.  Great statement for a press by accuracy fanatics.

Jim

• 1 month later...

My first was a 450, which has changed hands twice since I owned it, and is still in use. I sold my first 550 and replaced it with two newer 550's not 100% if B or C models. They have holes for the Needle Grease Gun Tip. I have one set up for 45GAP and the other for 38 Special at the moment. They can be set up for 45acp, 44 Magnum, 480 Ruger, 357 Maximum, 40 S&W / 10mm, 9mm, or  300BO in a few short minutes. Non of mine have been back for any repairs. I have replaced a few small parts, and I have done some up grades over the years.

One thing I have done is add a Wal-Mart Aquarium Bubbler, Zip Tied to the powder measure reservoir. I have it on a switch. This seems to work very well keeping powder drops the same.

I have no plans to move up from the 550. It loads everything I need it to load. 

I have a Lee Cast Iron Classic and a Rock Chucker for larger Rifle Cases.

I am 100% sure that you will love it.

Bob R

• 4 months later...