Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open/limited gun holster placement

Bakerjd

Just wondering if having the holster in front of the hip bone is really that much faster/better? I'm kind of thinking about moving it back a little simply because it seems to want to cant in toward my body and likes to push the entire belt to the right. I'm a left hand shooter BTW. 

Thanks

Josh

I scoop draw and I have it in front of my hip bone, in the path of my hand from where it hangs naturally at my side, to sweeping up to in front of my face.  The pistol is canted to better match the angle of my hand when it reaches the gun.  The idea is that there is as little extraneous movement as possible. It IS faster, for me.  The added benefit is that it feels very natural.  ** I wouldn't scoop draw if I didn't have a magwell that pushed my hand into the same position every time.  

it might be worthwhile to look at a number of elite shooters and see where they put their holsters. It seems to me that you'll see some variety, and plenty of top guys that run it in a traditional 3:00/9:00 position. I would do whatever is most comfortable for you.

9 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I scoop draw and I have it in front of my hip bone, in the path of my hand from where it hangs naturally at my side, to sweeping up to in front of my face.  The pistol is canted to better match the angle of my hand when it reaches the gun.  The idea is that there is as little extraneous movement as possible. It IS faster, for me.  The added benefit is that it feels very natural.  ** I wouldn't scoop draw if I didn't have a magwell that pushed my hand into the same position every time.  

i agree

ive been scoop drawing so much i actually forgot how to regularly draw. 

its way faster

7 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

It doesn't matter. 

Put it somewhere that feels halfway normal to you and get used to it. 

For SC, maybe get a little more nuanced than that, but for USPSA, bolt it to your belt and move onto something else. 

This. 

On 12/18/2021 at 9:38 PM, waktasz said:

The people that wear it way in front can have issues with breaking the 180 on turn and draws. I rarely see it called, but I had to issue a DQ once before someone even fired a shot at a match because of it. 

Glad you see that as well, caught flashes of what I thought was a 180 break after the rule change but wasn't sure enough to call it. 

How did you catch the DQ on the shooter?

It was extremely obvious. His holster was basically in front of his zipper on his pants and he barely turned before he had the gun out. He actually emailed me later and told me he practiced his draw in the mirror at home and realized he had probably been doing that for years. Next match his holster was in a different place. 

Edited by waktasz

On 12/18/2021 at 9:38 PM, waktasz said:

The people that wear it way in front can have issues with breaking the 180 on turn and draws. I rarely see it called, but I had to issue a DQ once before someone even fired a shot at a match because of it. 

Didn't even think about this. Thanks for the tip. 

I have been testing a new position. Basically I put the belt on with nothing on it and simulated a draw and marked on my belt where my hand was then put the holster on so that the grip was in that spot. It was about at the 9 o'clock position or right behind the front part of my hip bone. Seems good so far....