Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Shadow 2 Bullet Weight

tanfoglio1911

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Lightj75 said:

I prefer the 147s over the 124s the dot seems to track better for me. Between the 135s and 147s I couldn't tell a huge difference but I went with the 147s because I liked the feel of them and they use less powder. 

Do you think I won't have any problem using the 147gr flat? I only tried the round 147.

2 hours ago, 2MoreChains said:

I’ve been using the 135 gr coated RN bullets for quite a while now.  No issues with feeding, plenty accurate.  

I was shooting open for a while and will focus to shoot CO this time. I prefer HP bullets for open but tend to use coated this time. 

3 hours ago, tanfoglio1911 said:

Do you think I won't have any problem using the 147gr flat? I only tried the round 147.

tan:

Been shooting my S2 Orange with 147g Zeros in Production, and decided to test a few different bullets for practice, etc.  This was Blue Bullets 147FP out of my Shadow 2 Orange at 20 yds off a plastic bench rest.  Had zero issues with feed/function, ejection.  Once I have time for further testing, it may prove to be fine for competition.........

Blue 147FP.png

4 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

tan:

Been shooting my S2 Orange with 147g Zeros in Production, and decided to test a few different bullets for practice, etc.  This was Blue Bullets 147FP out of my Shadow 2 Orange at 20 yds off a plastic bench rest.  Had zero issues with feed/function, ejection.  Once I have time for further testing, it may prove to be fine for competition.........

Blue 147FP.png

Thank you! 

8 hours ago, tanfoglio1911 said:

I use FP 147gr from summit city and I can load them alot longer than the RN and have had no problems so far 

Shadow 2 CO here. Been using 147gr Campro flat point @ 1.09”with zero issues and great accuracy. Recently switched to 3.2 titegroup since I can’t get VV320 at this time. Three inch three shot group @ 45 yds supported the other day. I like the recoil impulse as well.

I agree that the heavier bullets feel better/less recoil pulse, but the 124gr seems to shoot more accurately in the shadow 2.   I tried a lot of combinations of powder, seating depths, and bullet weights.   I shoot the lighter bullets in my CZ, Glock 34, but heavier in my 986.  It is way more accurate with 145s.

I've been shooting CamPro 147gr flat nose in my Shadows and Shadow 2s for a decade and a half. Accuracy is phenomenal and the recoil pulse is much nicer than 124s. In a match I don't notice or care, but in practice I sure do, especially when doing dot drills and such. I'd give the 158s a try but I don't feel like starting in with a new powder when I have hundreds of pounds of Titegroup to burn through. 

28 minutes ago, slavex said:

I've been shooting CamPro 147gr flat nose in my Shadows and Shadow 2s for a decade and a half. Accuracy is phenomenal and the recoil pulse is much nicer than 124s. In a match I don't notice or care, but in practice I sure do, especially when doing dot drills and such. I'd give the 158s a try but I don't feel like starting in with a new powder when I have hundreds of pounds of Titegroup to burn through. 

Right now, I've got enough of my Zero 147g JHPs loaded to finish the season.  But I have been testing Blue's 147g FP along with their 135g TC and some Zero 125g JHP and Conical.  I'm almost there with the 147 Blues......gonna try another .1g N320 to see if I hit the exact sweet spot.

The 135 Blues are going to need just a bit less powder based on my initial tests.  And I feel confident the Zero 125s can also become an awesome match load.  I just don't know if I would truly benefit by switching to a lighter bullet.  Best I can figure is to load up a descent amount and shoot some drills against the timer.  Hope to give it a try before winter sets in.

But I first want to give total attention to the Blue 147s because I feel they are going to be close to my JHP match load in accuracy and performance; and provide another option.

👍

I'm a grown man, so it doesn't seem to me like *any* bullets have any recoil in an S2. I run 115 grain because they are cheaper and the gun seems to cycle faster. When I was a clueless noob I used to chase the 'soft shooting' loads, but as I gradually got more skilled I stopped caring about soft and started caring only about how fast the sight returns ready to shoot again.

On 9/24/2021 at 4:27 PM, HOGRIDER said:

tan:

Blue 147FP.png

You don't think this is fine for competition?

LOL

13 hours ago, motosapiens said:

When I was a clueless noob I used to chase the 'soft shooting' loads, but as I gradually got more skilled I stopped caring about soft and started caring only about how fast the sight returns ready to shoot again.

Same.  Grip the pistol properly and as long as the sites track quickly and predictably PF does not matter.

My shadow 2 eats 147 ACME RN like candy. OAL 1.1 or less, 3.1-3.5g TG. 

I prefer them longer because why not, but short chambers and all. Honestly, shoot whatever floats your boat. As the others pointed out, on the clock it does not matter as much as your grip. 

I stock 147 bullets because i'm an NFA junky and I shoot with a suppressor mostly. 

Edited by Foxtrotx1

• 1 month later...

I recently did some accuracy testing with a standard Shadow 2 and a Shadow 2 Orange.  It was windy and not the best conditions for testing, but I did get some general information.  Used my 125gr Zero HP reloads and my 147gr Berry's RN reloads.  First, the 147gr recoiled less and got back on target faster; but it wasn't a big difference.  The Orange was a little more accurate than the standard with the 147gr, but considerably more accurate with the 125gr.  The standard Shadow 2 was actually a little more accurate with the 147gr than the 125gr.  The Orange was significantly more accurate with the 125gr than the 147gr.  By the way, I went to the 147gr RN because they are easier to make reloads in my revolver; I can use the same load in auto and revolver.

6 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

@tanfoglio1911Saw this thread and thought I should follow up with my final test results of the Blue 147s.  That extra .1g did the trick!  ;) 

HTHs!

3.3 N320+Blue 147FP.png

What OAL do you use with the 147gr blues FP ? I have loaded their RN in the past but ordered a bunch of FP recently to match my normal practice loads. I usually load other coated 147 FPs to 1.13 and I'm hoping to get something similar with the blues.